Featured Seriously?!? This Happened During A Feckin' Pandemic?

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Sandi T, Mar 29, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Seriously?!.png

How many of you have had things happen recently that made you think--"Seriously?!? This happened during a feckin' pandemic?"

@OldNick 's garage roof blew off. @Tricky-Dicky is having major health and neighbor issues. Mr. Sandi's and my house flooded last Monday night at 3:30am when a water pipe broke. Plus my elbow isn't healing right and I might imminently need a 2nd surgery. And just to top it off our ice maker quit working--now how the heck can I make a proper cocktail in this time of need?

So can we all have a "do-over" on the year 2020 and this new decade?! Let's share our pandemic WFT moments and vent together, laugh together, and get through this surreal time together.

Screen Shot 2020-03-28 at 5.32.28 PM.png

After our house flooded, the front porch of our house looked like the Beverly Hillbillies lived in our house all week. Fortunately the massive and LOUD fans and dehumidifiers are gone as of this morning. The washer and dryer back in the yet-to-be completely fixed laundry room where the offending "leak" (read, gushing waterfall) occurred. All the stuff is off the porch and back in its rightful place. And our rugs are cleaned and back in their rightful spots. The rugs, in particular make Annie the Boxer very happy.

IMG_8051.jpeg

IMG_8037.jpeg

This is as far as my stinkin' elbow flexes. If I start pushing any farther my ulnar nerve becomes VERY unhappy and my ring and pinky fingers and the outside of my hand go numb and my hand becomes really weak. That won't do for pulling in a clutch or pretty much anything else needed to ride my motorcycles. Aaargh! But then, right now there's little riding to be done as most riders are not riding just for riding's sake.

IMG_8023.jpeg

There are, as always, silver linings if one looks hard enough and through grateful eyes. We were home when the pipe broke. If we hadn't been, the damage would have been far worse. Our rugs were due to be cleaned anyway so after being completely soaked and damaged in the flooding, they are are good as new thanks to our insurance company. And, hey, our 6-month old washer and dryer (which replaced our 20-year old washer and dryer) work just fine. Oh, yeah, one of our best motorcycle riding buddies is a retired contractor. There's a slight silver lining on my elbow which is that I know my surgeon and am not navigating this with some unknown surgeon. But so far there's no silver lining on the broken ice maker. One can only drink one's drinks neat for so long. And you just can't make a proper martini is you are iceless. :sob::joy::joy::joy:

• Like Like x 21
    • Love You Love You x 6
  2. Old dumb arse

Old dumb arse Noble Member

Mar 28, 2020
    KS
    Sorry Sandi, was it a rubber washer supply hose that broke? Braided stainless steel hoses are available for a reasonable cost. Newer "green" front load washers need a 3" waste line vs the 2" that is installed underneath your concrete slab in most houses built before 2012 or even newer. But that's not Gretta's problem etall. All very, very, very expressive fixes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Hey, phred. Actually it was a water pipe that runs through the attic that broke that didn't have anything to do with our washer. The washer was involved only because it was directly below the massive leak. The water pipes themselves were fine. In fact, our plumber said that in his 30 years of being a professional plumber he'd never seen one of those pipes fail. Said they are made by a 40-year-old German company that makes terrific products. Evidently the problem was a cracked fitting that was probably cracked from when the house way built and just finally gave way. I guess the silver lining in all this is that it's not like we have a bunch of crappy plumbing pipes that all need to be replaced.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

:(Bloody hell @Sandi T. youre having a shitty time just lately :poop:
    Chin up mate and you know that we’re all thinking of you and sending our love :heart:

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Like Like x 3
  5. JerryBB

JerryBB Noble Member

Oct 6, 2019
    Wales
    Really bad news about you not recovering Sandi, a shit thing at the best of times and now is a really shit time to have to go into hospital. I hope this gets sorted without any more anxiety .

Get well soon

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Wow @Sandi T. what back luck you are suffering right now. Keep your chin up and smiling mate....

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. andyb57

andyb57 Senior Member

Apr 15, 2017
    Devon
    So sorry about your injury, hope it heals properly pretty soon
    Good to hear you’ve found plenty of silver linings following your flood.
    Now I really really have to disagree about one thing. Martinis without ice are undrinkable, in fact (and this is going to be controversial) warm beer would be a better option. I do realise it’s ‘only’ the ice maker which is fubarred so warm beer is not on the menu.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Wishbone

Wishbone First Class Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    Let's hope you are back riding soon!!
    Looks like the broken pipe fitting hasn't caused to much havoc, althoughit is always a bummer.
    Your luck has gotta change sometime:cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Kenbro

Kenbro Noble Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    Oh dear Sandi T;
    Looks like, if it wasn’t for bad luck, you wouldn’t be having any luck at all right now!
    Get back to A1CON asap. :kissing_heart:
    Ken.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. stollydriver

stollydriver Elite Member

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    Things can only get better ( or so they say) all the best...

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    #11 Tricky-Dicky, Mar 29, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    That's shite luck Sandi at least the house damage was fixed OK ...i know how that feels as we had a ceiling come down for the same reason just after we moved in, just hope you elbow is easily sorted even though you really dont need more surgery right now...stating the obvious but i think 2020 will be remembered as the year of all fu*K ups.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Love You Love You x 1
  12. Winglad

Winglad Crème de la Crème

Dec 21, 2016
    Earth
    #12 Winglad, Mar 29, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    OK, Sandi; just to cheer you up a bit...

This is what happened to me in the last 14 months:
    My 90 year old renter called me from the basement: her companion (93) stood ankle deep in water. A pipe behind her bathtub cracked and flooded the cellar.
    We had to tear her bathroom totally apart and the renovation (including all the noise) lasted a month and cost me 10 grand.

Then she died.

The daughter of my best mate (@heartlander ) moved in. The renovation (including all the noise) took another handful of month and cost him and me another fortune.

My dad (88) bumped lightly into another car. The insurance paid and afterwards kicked him out. Which meant, I had to sell his car in not more than 4 weeks.
    It took the last motivation out of his life.

Then my mum died.

And while dad‘s health is deteriorating day by day, we all (EDIT: I mean the world! Luckily, no one in my family caught the virus yet!) got Corona on top which deprived me of the last few fun things I had in life.

Well: Someone definitely switched off the light at the end of MY tunnel.
    So hopefully, yours went on! Let it guide you into brightness...

Huh! The only thing that kept me going, is my ability to laugh.
    Laugh about myself, life and the rest of this feckin planet :yum

See? You are not alone!

Cheers, Daniel

• Love You Love You x 13
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Things happen in life, some worse than others.

They say that things come in threes but for some people it can be a few more.

But human nature being what it is we carry on and try to do our best.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Love You Love You x 2
  14. Winglad

Winglad Crème de la Crème

Dec 21, 2016
    Earth
    Thanks guys! Now I am crying on top of it :heart::kissing_heart:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  15. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Bloody hell mate...and we think we have it bad.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  16. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Sorry to hear of your woes Sandi, at least the flood part is mostly sorted now, the elbow is more of a worry, but these sorts of injuries can take time & sometimes more than one visit to the operating table. I know this only too well from personal experience. Stay positive & put in the work on rehabilitation & you will get there. :heart:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    • Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Oh my @Winglad I hope going forward things get better for you. As @Tiglet says sh@t happens all the time, how we deal with it is what is important.... thinking about you mate...

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks, dilli. I know that many, many others have it far worse. I appreciate your thoughts and love. Things will get better! :heart:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks, @JerryBB. Yeah, the timing isn't so great (understatement). But I'm trying to take one day at a time and see what shakes out. I appreciate your post.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1