Self Cancelling Indicator System

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by John T, Nov 24, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. DesertRat

DesertRat Member

Oct 10, 2017
    Yuscon, AZ USA
    I used the USB wire under the seat - it's switched and I'll never use that one for USB. I ran the extension cable into the headlamp housing - the right and left wires are exposed there - and connected with Positaps. And yes, the rubber inserts are critical. Finally realized it converts the switch from on/off to a momentary switch, i,e. push right to turn the right indicator on and again to turn it off. Pushing straight in on the switch, as you originally did to cancel, does nothing after the mod. Takes a bit of getting used to. Finally, I attached the module to the side of the battery box with a small piece of industrial velcro so I can easily remove it if needed. Oh, and the wiring colors for Triumph in the instructions are wrong on later model Bonnevilles. A wiring diagram for your bike helps. This is all for a '17 Bonnie so may be slightly different for other models.

2. John T

John T Senior Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    What wire did you use to extend it?

Had a reply back from factory with some instructions in German and this guy mounted unit on to of radiator assembly

3. DesertRat

DesertRat Member

Oct 10, 2017
    Yuscon, AZ USA
    Are you asking about the extension cable? I bought it from A&J here in the States but believe it was made by STS. I didn't see anywhere on my Bonnie to mount the module around the radiator but you could also zip-tie it to the frame under the tank. Put far enough forward you might not need the extension, Make sure as stated earlier to mount it with the arrow pointing forward. Seems the cable exits the module from the wrong side.

4. John T

John T Senior Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Here’s what I got back from STS

Attached Files:

5. DesertRat

DesertRat Member

Oct 10, 2017
    Yuscon, AZ USA
    I didn't have those German instructions but they would have saved me a lot of time searching the wiring diagrams. It is correct for the T100 as well. I don't know German but you can pretty much follow the photos and they mount the module without need of an extension cable. Not sure where they drew the 12v from but again the usb would work fine. It doesn't use much power so 18 gauge wire would probably work well. I used 16 gauge only because I had some on hand.

6. John T

John T Senior Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Hi mate

Wondering if you have started on your installation yet
    I too wanted the holidays out of the way plus I was considering fitting cruise control which obviously is the same area of the harness you connect to.
    Decided against that so now looking to get stared myself shortly

7. Swood516

Swood516 New Member

Jun 19, 2017
    Pennsylvania
    I was instructed (by Mark at STS) that you can punch a small hole in the middle of the foam to help with this - Not sure where you live, but I had the same issue (November install in the Northeast). However, since it is so cold in the Northeast, decided to wait until Summer before doing this. Heat/cold will greatly affect the durometer of these foam disks. Also, if the foam disks are too soft they might allow the signal switch to latch.

8. Swood516

Swood516 New Member

Jun 19, 2017
    Pennsylvania
    I finished my install and I'm working on super detailed instructions that will show step-by-step how I installed this on my 2016 T120. My install is completely hidden inside the bike and required a 36" extension. I used the power feed off the USB (yellow wire under the seat). Most of the connections are hidden behind the plastic plate in the headlight. Not a super easy install if you want it done right and also want it to be hidden.

• Like Like x 2
  9. DesertRat

DesertRat Member

Oct 10, 2017
    Yuscon, AZ USA
    That sounds exactly like I installed mine. Wish I had your detailed instructions - they will be invaluable for those doing so in the future. Don't expect there would be any significant differences with the T100 and most other Triumphs with a single headlight.

10. John T

John T Senior Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Received a couple of extension harnesses from Mark at STS for so thanks for that

Going to have a go this weekend

A1034EC7-7CA4-4111-AA39-B17432A0000B.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. John T

John T Senior Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    #31 John T, Jan 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    Well that's it fitted after quite a bit of headscratching and swearing at times. Bloody pleased my Lad used to work on these things cos there's some awkward plugs and suchlike that a bit of knowledge with helps a lot
    Apologies I'm not much use at putting instructions together but here's a few observations
    The supplied crimp on bullet connectors I found very hard even with my decent crimping tool and in fact one snapped and another one didn't crimp on that well so ended up using a couple of standard crimps so be aware.
    Also one of the FOC extension harnesses kindly supplied also had a bad connector which threw me for a while
    Anyway I managed to locate the unit on the right hand side cable tied against one of the original components on the main frame tube (might have been the tilt switch) and then fed the wire in a comfortable U turn under the tube and this allowed the connection to the extension harness to be tucked into a nice recess behind the headstock. Only one extension was required to reach into the headlamp where the signal connections were made. This ran comfortably with the other cables entering from the left side.For the power I used some wire I had and ran this back to the USB supply under the seat (doubled up some multicore .22mm for this).
    The main harness of the bike runs along the main frame tube in a plastic enclosure and if brave enough you could probably connect there and save going into the headlight but the wiring is complex and compact (as is everything tucked away on these bikes !)
    Converting the handlebar switch to momentary seemed simple enough and just required the 2 smaller rubbers being inserted either side of the internal sliding part which is obvious from the bottom of the switch assembly
    Hoping to road test later today

• Like Like x 1
  12. John T

John T Senior Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Quick test ride to the garage a few left and right turns plus roundabouts
    So far VERY impressed turning left or right at junctions it cancels just after you straighten up just where you would cancel it yourself. 270 degree on roundabout seems to possibly cancel a smidge early but time will tell.stays on at low speed or stationary at junction as you would want. Tried leaving on when going straight and sure enough goes off after15 seconds
    Yup starting to reckon it was worth the cost and effort

• Like Like x 2
  13. John T

John T Senior Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Heres a review I found since

Pretty much agree with his experience and will do whats suggested on turn switch

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Jackb

Jackb New Member

Dec 27, 2017
    Uk
    Many months past since last msg re self cancelling. I have recently bought a kit and also decided I need to extend the wiring . Any further help from you all who have completed will be very welcome .

15. 100thmonkey

100thmonkey Active Member

Jun 17, 2018
    SW1A 1AA
    Harley manage to fit them standard, why cant Triumph get their act together its not 1987

16. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Standard on the Tiger but I don't use them in case I get used to it as the Bonnie doesn't have them. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Think I'll send this to my pals who went to Belgium with me earlier this month. Every time I looked in the mirror, one or more of them, had left an indicator on after turning. It looked like I was being followed by a road repair crew there were so many flashing amber lights.:confused:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. ElectrAbigail

ElectrAbigail Someone to reMember

Aug 18, 2018
    Netherlands
    I am so glad to read this as a noobie on a bike.

Last weekend I followed my friend in her car to a nice little terrace somewhere outside Lyon. Suddenly she pulls over... I'm like 'What's wrong?'
    And she says, 'I was gonna ask you, cause your indicator was on, and we thought something was wrong'

:D:D:Doopsie...

Happens to me all the time. Maybe I'll get myself this STS

• Like Like x 1
  19. Dodge74

Dodge74 Active Member

Oct 16, 2014
    Lincoln
    Get a Harley dyna glide , they have self cancelling indicators fitted at the factory lol

• Like Like x 1
  20. ElectrAbigail

ElectrAbigail Someone to reMember

Aug 18, 2018
    Netherlands
    Don't you think it's a bit cumbersome. :neutral:And expensive as well. To buy a Harley, remove the self cancelling indicators of it, and than assemble them to my Bonnie. How would I make them fit anyway?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1