Security Whilst Out And About.

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Big Sandy, Nov 17, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Octoberon

Octoberon Crème de la Crème

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    Reviving an old thread instead of starting a new one that's basically about the same thing.

I lugged a big Oxford chain and lock with me to the GMU and although the bike didn't take much notice on the move, it does still weigh a ton (I'm rounding up) and takes up valuable pannier space. More portable options for security tend to involve disk locks but we all know someone who's had a bike liffted off the street. And if you didn't before, you do now.

I work on the basis that nothing will stop a determined thief or three but, as the old saying goes. 'I don't have to run faster than the bear, I just have to run faster than you'. I may not be able to make my bike unstealable but I can make it unpalatable.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the litelok products, which may be an improvement on a disk lock if not the last work in security.

https://www.litelok.com/products/litelok-moto-108?variant=31865010946122

• Like Like x 1
  2. David Lythgoe

David Lythgoe Active Member

Jul 6, 2020
    Kingsley Cheshire
    Datatool Stealth S5 Tracker fitted to my bikes.

Not cheap but very good

3. Octoberon

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    I've got a tracker on the Ducati, although not that particular one. Probably overkill for my gracefully aging Street Triple but trackers are an excellent idea for anything valuable. Still, by the time the tracker's been activated your bike is already in someone else's hands. :(

4. Octoberon

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    Well that's not encouraging. I suppose, apart from the points the chap in the video made about the types of cutters, one thing that could make life tricky for the tea leaf is not having the lock conveniently on the ground so they can stand on the handle.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Shaun64

Shaun64 Senior Member

Feb 23, 2020
    England
    I’d seen these last week in mcn and thought they look handy but it turns out they are just expensive shite.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. JtC

JtC Elite Member

Apr 20, 2020
    New Mexico
    #32 JtC, Jul 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
    Fortnine has a pretty informative video on YT on this subject.

Many years ago I had a motorcycle stolen and it was chained to a post out side my apartment. The dumbasses couldn't get it started, I reckon, so they threw it down a ravine and left it for dead.

Personally, while out and about, I've never had an issue and I never use any kind of lock on my bike. Not that I think they can't or won't be stolen, it's just that I believe the odds are so thin it isn't worth the effort/expense to lock it up. If someone wants to steal it, they will.

My son has had two bikes stolen -one of them twice, but they were both the very highly desired and pilferable Yamaha R1 -grabbed and tossed in the back of a van we figure. He now rides a Suzuki Intruder. Nice bike, but not so pilferable.

• Like Like x 4
  7. OldNick

OldNick Elite Member

Aug 11, 2019
    South Coast UK
    If it’s somewhere I travel to regularly (like a train station) I leave the chain there and lock the bike to a security post, so I don’t have to carry the bloody thing, anywhere else it’s a disk lock and hope it deters the amateurs:cool:
    As already said if they are pros whether it’s chained or not they’ll have it away in minutes:(

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Octoberon

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    That's where I saw it too. They are quite expensive and I was sceptical about the thinness. As has been mentioned, it's a deterrent, not a guarantee. Better than nothing or just a disk lock, arguably.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Octoberon

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    I used to do that when I was riding in to London every day for work.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2020
    UK
    #36 Wattie, Jul 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
    I hate that guy, he's one of the reasons I don't carry my heavy abus granite u-locks anymore, what's the friggin' point..... I just have 3 varied types of cheap disk locks, easier to carry as all 3 fit under the seat, plus the bikes alarmed. So far I've been lucky, only had our crash lids and waterproofs stolen from breaking the locks on our panniers in Lisbon. 1200 miles from home no lids and no waterproofs, no pannier locks ..... scum. Never been back to Lisbon, Ha, take that....
    I've just remembered when I lived in Birmingham, scum stole my tax disk, tail light and indicators. They obviously already had a number plate made up as they didn't need mine... Then later someone butchered my ignition with a screwdriver, so I had to hot wire it to get it running.... I knew there was a reason I left Birmingham...

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    I disc lock both wheels, if they can lift 350kgs I will not mess with them.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2