Security Options - Bobber?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by MikeyBobBlack, Feb 16, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    If you are using a disc lock on the front and rear then check the diameter of the holes in the rear disc. On the front the disc lock can have a chunky pin as it will go through the gaps in the disc rather than the holes. On the rear - Tiger and Bonneville - there are just small diameter holes so the disc lock needs to have a pin small enough to fit.

• Like Like x 1
  2. MikeyBobBlack

MikeyBobBlack Member

Feb 11, 2018
    Kent
    Thanks for the heads up ;)

3. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Sorry - I sent this before I finished typing and then my phone died!
    You can get a disc lock that would fit the cut-outs in the rear disc but it will need a longer reach than the front one as these areas are further back from the edge of the disc than on the front one.

Another option may be one of these handlebar locks?
    s-l1600.jpg
    www.ebay.co.uk/i/331677527439?chn=ps&adgroupid=54300448927&rlsatarget=pla-398846648046&abcId=1130076&adtype=pla&merchantid=113801612&poi=&googleloc=9045736&device=c&campaignid=1029942144&crdt=0

Not tried one yet but they look portable and would act as a visual deterrent.
    I will use one on the CX500 when it's finished because the discs on that are solid.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jerry Winder

Jerry Winder Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2017
    Brecon Beacons
    There are too many bikes stolen with alarms to bother with one anymore. The only reason I can see for fitting one would be if your insurance company demanded it to cover you.

I've had a Bike Trac tracker on my Scrambler since buying it and it's brilliant. Before that I had it on my GS for 3 years. They have a portal so that you see where your bike is at any time. I've never had a problem with it draining the battery but if the battery level does get low it'll send me a text to tell me. If it gets moved both me and my wife get a text message to tell us it's being moved. If, as like me on numerous occasions, you just forgot to put the keys in and turn the ignition on when you move it out of the garage, you can ignore the message. If not, call the 24 hour line and they'll get things moving.

A couple of years ago we went to the Manx and I had a problem with the portal, I couldn't see my bike and for some reason I thought I hadn't been able to disable the tracker for the ferry journey but I hadn't received a message to tell me the bike had moved. When I arrived on the island I sent Bike Trac a message asking them to confirm that everything was working. They sent me my entire route for the day, confirmation that everything was working as it should and confirmation I was just clueless when it came to disarming the tracker.

There are cheaper units out there but I wouldn't go anywhere else. I know that Bike Trac works.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    #25 Col_C, Feb 19, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    Agree with all Dozers comments ref the Xena disc lock, just need to keep the lens and mirror clean to avoid false alarms, and has the advantage if it all goes tits up you haven't got the problems of a fully installed alarm system. You can also remove the replaceable alarm unit (when not fitted to disc) and use as a basic lock if needed.
    I also agree that alarms are useless...... unless you can hear it yourself (everybody else will ignore it), but the Xena gives me peace of mind when touring and the bike has to be parked outside, it doesn't need to be too near our hotel room as it's surprisingly loud for such a little unit. I have had the XX14 for several years now (amusingly it was a special offer MCN were doing) and would recommend it, Xena do several versions of different sizes and robustness.
    When looking at chain/padlock/ground anchor security give these guys a look here, I found them to be very knowledgeable and helpful.
    Not much use for you on the Bobber but the principle might still apply if you're travelling with partner or friend on another bike, the setup shown below can just about be stored under the seat of my SpeedTriple and the wife's StreetTriple combined when we go touring, I think it's about the best physical security we can manage whilst still being practical to carry, position makes it difficult to attack, and makes both bikes difficult to move.
    2016-02-29_17-44-21.jpg
    2016-02-29_17-45-37.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  6. MikeyBobBlack

MikeyBobBlack Member

Feb 11, 2018
    Kent
    Life hack skills, level extraordinaire!

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  7. jeff1

jeff1 New Member

Mar 3, 2020
    London
    hey guys, unfortunately i have experience with theft this is a really crappy affair. ever since, i try to maximize protection of my motorcycle. Now I feel a little paranoid. I have probably purchased all possible security devices, circuits, alarms, and even a smart tracker from https://monimoto.com/uk/ hope I can help if needed. Maybe someone you've tried it on?

• Like Like x 1