Security Options - Bobber?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by MikeyBobBlack, Feb 16, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MikeyBobBlack

MikeyBobBlack Member

Feb 11, 2018
    Kent
    Hi all,

I have the new Bobber Black on order but have been told there isn’t anywhere on the bike to hide an alarm.

This being the case I’ll simply use a couple of alarmed disc-locks but in addition thought a tracker with motion detection might be a worthy addition to the bike and my personal comfort levels.

As mentioned I’m looking for a tracker that is able to alert me via text should my bike move in any way. Ideally I’d like it sensitive enough to detect even a very small amount of movement, (think person sitting on it) if that is possible?!

I appreciate some come with a whole host of additional features which is fine by me just so long as the device itself is reliable and of course small enough for me to hide on the bike somewhere.

Can anyone point me in the direction of the better options out there please?

Cheers,

Mike.

2. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Hi, you can never have too much security!!
    There are a couple of threads on here about trackers and disc locks, have a hunt if you’ve nothing better to do, failing that im sure people on here will be happy to show they have some knowledge!! I have none!

• Like Like x 1
  3. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Agree with crispey - you can never have too much security these days.
    Not sure about alarms anyway - had one on my T100 and was never convinced that it wasn't quietly draining the battery or that it would leave me stranded one day with a faulty immobiliser.
    The best method is still a hefty padlock and chain and fixing the bike to something immovable - fine but you have to carry it around. I have a huge Oxford one with an alarm but you need a van to carry it in! Have a lighter, Abus city chain with integrated lock which I can carry on either bike and two disc locks for the front and rear wheels. I usually, depending on how you can park, roll the front wheel up to a kerb and use the locks against the calipers so the bike can't be moved.
    Have thought about a tracker but not really done enough research yet to know which one to look at.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    +1 the Xena alarmed disc lock (XX14) for relatively cheap out and about security.
    (It will go off at slightest movement ie somebody sitting on it)

• Like Like x 1
  5. MikeyBobBlack

MikeyBobBlack Member

Feb 11, 2018
    Kent
    Thanks for advice. From the research I’ve done so far it seems the best option for the out and about is an alarmed disc lock both back and front and a good quality chain/lock and to ensure it’s secured to something lamppost like. I think I can manage to carry a couple of disc locks but a chain of any size might be difficult because of the lack of, (more like zero storage) on the Bobbers. I’m considering a saddle bag on one side to overcome the issue.

Garage wise I plan to install a recessed/flust mount Y ground anchor and to invest in a heavy duty chain and padlock.

Weapons of choice...

Alarmed disc lock - XENA of some kind X2.

This chain, lock and ground anchor combo...

http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=64&product_id=58

I’m also researching trackers at the moment but have yet to decide what the best option is. Again it boils down to how compact it is as the Bobber doesn’t really have anywhere to tuck anything out of sight.

6. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Xena alarmed disk lock with cable link piece and cable. Nice bitbof kit, not the heaviest of gear, bit good when you do park up and have to leave out on the street.

upload_2018-2-18_19-25-28.png

Didn't fit the disk on the America, but has every thing else.

7. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Alarms aren't much of a deterrent these days when the bike is parked away from your home - just think how many times you've heard alarms going off and how many times you called the police and how quickly they responded when you did call. Stats suggest a very high proportion of bikes fitted with a motion detector tracker are recovered within 24 hours. It's not a cheap option (comparatively) what with monthly renewal premiums, but the likes of BikeTrac claim a 90% recovery rate.

btw, how are you finding the Bobber Black? Have you posted pictures here yet?

8. MikeyBobBlack

MikeyBobBlack Member

Feb 11, 2018
    Kent
    That looks interesting!

9. MikeyBobBlack

MikeyBobBlack Member

Feb 11, 2018
    Kent
    I’m certainly happy to pay a little premium for the peace of mind a tracker will bring. I’d like one that notifies me via my phone the moment the bike is moved even a little... of such an options exists?!

I haven’t found anything as yet Bobber Black wise as I’m waiting for delivery, expected early April. I’ll be sure to post some pics though for sure once I’ve got it ;)

10. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    We sell BikeTrac at our place. It seems good by all reports. There are bound to be others that'll do the job.

11. MikeyBobBlack

MikeyBobBlack Member

Feb 11, 2018
    Kent
    Any specific model/option you would recommend?

12. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    I honestly don't know of any apart from the Biketrac we sell. I'll check at work tomorrow and pm you with the best price we can do posted.

• Like Like x 1
  13. MikeyBobBlack

MikeyBobBlack Member

Feb 11, 2018
    Kent
    That would be great thanks

14. MikeyBobBlack

MikeyBobBlack Member

Feb 11, 2018
    Kent
    I’m certainly starting to realise that... I love the idea of having one on each wheel too for a little added comfort :)

15. MikeyBobBlack

MikeyBobBlack Member

Feb 11, 2018
    Kent
    I’ll have a peek cheers

16. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Just keep a thieves head on a stake at the bottom of your drive works every time:mad:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    He's obviously not mechanically minded like us DD sounds a good buy then:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. MikeyBobBlack

MikeyBobBlack Member

Feb 11, 2018
    Kent
    Great insight!

19. MikeyBobBlack

MikeyBobBlack Member

Feb 11, 2018
    Kent
    The wisdom just a keeps on coming! Really appreciate it ;)

• Funny Funny x 1