Security Advice

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by JonnyD, May 3, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. JonnyD

JonnyD New Member

Feb 19, 2021
    harrogate
    Hi All,

As a complete noob, really appreciate the advice I’m getting on here and its not been too cutting either!

Put a deposit down on a bobber and now looking for disk and chain locks. Wondered if ayone could recommend some good options?

Had been considering either Abus or Xena disk lock and lite lock as wanted to fit both in swingarm bag.

Also where is the best place to run the chain through? Says rear wheel and chassis but can’t see how I’d do that on a bobber...

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jadorff

Jadorff Noble Member

Apr 14, 2019
    Adelaide Australia
    I do it the easy way I just put a pad lock through the holes in the front disc ,if I need to stop the bike from being weeled away

3. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Hi JonnyD. Can’t advise about disc locks cos I don’t use them but I have an Oxford lock and chain that’s insurance approved. They come in various lengths and have a sturdy fabric cover that prevents damage to wheels, frame etc. I use this in conjunction with a ground anchor concreted into my garage floor, my garage is also linked into the house alarm. The chain is a bit weighty but it’s not so bad as to be a bother to take out and about with me. If you do choose a chain always try to lock the bike to a solid object, like a ground anchor at home or a lamp post, or sign post or better still a dedicated bike park area which usually have those steel loops fitted. Some even recommend using a cover so the thieves don’t know what’s under there. Even the heaviest and biggest bikes pose no problem to the most determined of thieves with a van cos remember they don’t give a sh![ about your pride and joy. Best of luck with the new bike.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

Hello JonnyD, I also use the Oxford chain and anchor.

20180805_120829476.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  5. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    I agree with @littleade. I always use 2 disc locks one on the front and one on the back, then they've got to lift or drag 320kgs of bike away :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  6. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Have to agree that the best way is a padlock and chain which is best secured around something when it can be. Then use a decent disc-lock on the other wheel.
    I use this type as they are not easy to attack with a disc cutter.
    12020-of40-1--.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  7. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Hi and welcome…

8. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Try moving to somewhere bike theft is less prevalent ! Here in Australia I just take out the ignition key !! That's wherever I park it, I sometimes forget but it's still there when I get back to my bike.

cheers capt.

PPS I've never locked my bike down/up except to put it in my garage !!