Secondary Air Injection Removal

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by steve lovatt, May 27, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Good gracious Capt.
    My bikes only done 9k miles and runs really well.
    I think at this stage I'll probably just remove the SAI and turn off the signal on the Tuneecu

• Like Like x 1
  2. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    All this hard work of disecting everyone does, I still just don't get it as mine runs superb with it all connected with my Motad's, popping nicely on the overrun and it's stinking quick too

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    I obviously don't know for sure Eric, but your bike runs suspiciously well for an 865 EFi Bonny - I suspect Motad did something to it (map tuning maybe) as it just runs too well.

4. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Mine runs really well with all the standard OEM engine and exhaust parts fitted.
    This is why I am undecided on removing the SAI
    Popping, I can live with that.
    Bluing of the pipes, I can live with that.
    Performance, perfectly good at all speeds.
    If it wasn't as good after removal, I couldn't live with that!
    Verdict, leave well alone for the time being.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk

I'm putting my main ride (modified MT01) to bed for this summer and my Bonne will take her place. She's pretty much the same as your but will be doing some mods to help her breath a bit better etc in the next 4 to 6 weeks and can report my findings to help you decide what route you should go down:cool:

• Useful Useful x 2
  6. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Mick, don't quite understand. I thought there was a problem that you were trying to cure by removing the SAI, but after the above comments there doesn't seem to be a problem to solve ?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Nope! heh heh heh

8. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Hi Mick, the cheapest mods for the biggest gains, are snorkel removal and baffling removed. With a hi-flo less restrictive air filter and open exhausts you gain good midrange torque and some extra ponies too.

• Useful Useful x 3
  9. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Hi biglad,
    No problem other than the oft reported 'popping' on deceleration and bluing of the pipes, both of which I can live with.
    Periodically someone will raise the SAI issue as in this thread Steve Lovatt.
    That then makes me revisit the modification which I cannot bring myself to do because the bike runs nicely through all ranges.
    Sorry for any confusion, I really appreciate the advice and comments from yourself and the other forum members.
    I may decide to do it when I check the valves in another 3k when the tank and SAI gubbins has to come off.
    Don't put any money on it though! lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    After three more rides I can definitely say the bike runs better with the SAI removed. I thought it ran smoothly before like Mick says about his but the improvement is clearly noticeable.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Mick 85

Mick 85 New Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Portishead, England
    Yep same as me - SAI removed, but popping still there, which is good

• Like Like x 1
  12. Mr Toad

Mr Toad Senior Member

Oct 14, 2016
    Nottinghamshire
    When I replaced my silencers I got the popping and banging on deceleration with the standard ECU map. After replacing the map with the TORS map the popping stopped.

My only reason for removing the AI is the smoother throttle response at the low end.

As well as the four options listed above there's a fifth and even simpler option.

Remove the left hand side cover, pull the Air injection pipe out of the air box, it's a push fit.

Put a piece of gaffer tape over the end of the pipe and shove it back in the hole. Replace the cover then turn off AI in Tuneecu.

Job done. It takes less than 10 minutes. If it doesn't suit you can reverse it just as quickly.

And let's face it, unless you're desperate to remove the plumbing for aesthetic reasons why bother? And anyone who thinks weight saved by removing so little of it is going to make a noticeable improvement to performance is deluding themselves.

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I think biglad used a Cork from a wine bottle to plug the air box hole! As I've bypassed the solenoid and haven't got tune ECU I didn't see any point in keeping all the plumbing on the bike plus you get better access to the plugs with it gone.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Blocking the tube temporarily is still a good way of assessing potential improvements though. And yes, my blockage for the airbox was a wine cork !!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Any particular year biglad ?

• Like Like x 1
  16. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Not so much year, but the Domaine Roche Mazet and their cabernet sauvignon cork works very well. It's all about history, passion and attention to detail. :p:p:p

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    SAI removed airbox baffle removed (without taking half the bike apart) K&N fitted now waiting:mad: on my kit from Greece hope it's here for the weekend:neutral:

• Like Like x 1
  18. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    #38 capt, Jun 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
    They All run extremely well in Standard Trim, they just lack throttle response and power ! Example 600cc sports bikes produce 120hp ! So why do 900cc cruiser twins produce 50??? As a 900cc 4 cylinder it would be 214hp ?so where did 164 possible horse power go ? Oh I know in the sai and restricted exhausts ! My 2009 America is in the ball park of 75/80hp and still should be more, so I guess it's cam/valve timing.........not going to mess with that as cams cost way too much !

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. Mick 85

Mick 85 New Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Portishead, England
    Same here - although I have also removed the end baffles from the OEM silencers. It sounds lovely, and pops better than ever.

20. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    #40 Rocker, Jun 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
    All done K&N filter, SAI removed, snorkle and baffle plate removed, louder pipes so now can anyone recommend a Tune Ecu map to load in? I would like to keep the O2 sensors at the moment:)