Seat Latch Mechanism

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Johnjo, Sep 10, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    My new to me bonnie came with a king & queen seat with a cabled latch mechanism. It comprises a short pull cable that runs alongside the seat/frame rail. I can't find the supplier or a replacement.

Anyone know where I can get a second one ? Ideally I just need another seat pin for a second seat I want to buy.

Thanks

JJ

2. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    I have no idea but no doubt posting a photo or two would help to find answers JJ?

Curly

3. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    Thanks Curly. Not quite sure how to post photos. Will look into it.

JJ

1505045538274-549384455.jpg

15050457807341640068054.jpg

1505045835318389249647.jpg

4. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    Well blow me. I've done it.

Cheers half ton. I've tried to find the supplier/maker online without joy. Nothing on fleabay either.

JJ

5. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    Thanks for your trouble ht. Unfortunately a search under that name is drawing a blank. Perhaps he's no longer an ebay seller. Cheers anyway.

6. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham

That's great ht. Thanks again. Well I've learnt something else today. Never used that advanced search feature on fleabay before. I've sent a message to mrgwsk. Hope he's still active. :)

JJ

• Like Like x 1
  7. Valkman

Valkman Member

Apr 3, 2016
    Kings Lynn
    Still doing them. I bought & fitted one in the last week. His name is Geoff Skinner and email is : [email protected]

• Like Like x 1
  8. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    Well done JJ !
    More than I could have done,
    Curly

9. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    Cheers Valkman. Geoff got back to me. He's on holiday till the 19th. Will sort me out on his return. Result.

Surprisingly easy Curly. Just click upload file after you've written your text, take a photo with the tablet, etc, and click OK if you're happy with the image, voila. Will try and post a picture or two of the bike. I know how we all like pictures. :p

JJ

10. tumpbro

tumpbro Member

Sep 13, 2014
    pontypridd
    Many thanks for posting this thread. I bought a similar looking catch off ebay for £8 on the off chance, but it was too small, though I was able to modify it to fit. I removed the mudguard bolts which are too short to attach the catch mechanism. However I did use one of them as the striker post to connect with the catch, by making up a plate with an entrapped nut for the underside of the seat, as inspired by your photographs, two longer bolts secured the catch back to the mudguard. Sticking a crayon in the catch to mark the underside of the seat, to indicate where to mount the striker post is a great idea. So pleased to not have to fiddle with frigging allen keys and bolts any more! Especially useful for taking the panniers on and off when touring. Another Triumph annoyance dealt with!

• Like Like x 2
  11. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    Glad you found it useful. :)

Which bike have you got ? Bit confused by the mudguard mounting bit.

JJ

12. tumpbro

tumpbro Member

Sep 13, 2014
    pontypridd
    Mine is a 2014 T100 bonneville , the two bolts that pass through the catch mechanism, go through the back of the bike frame and into nuts entrapped under rear mudguard. I've got a spare seat so got to make up another fitting so I can interchange. Thanks again.

• Like Like x 1
  13. JerryBB

JerryBB Noble Member

Oct 6, 2019
    Wales
    anyone done any other ways of dealing with the awkwardness that is the stock seat mounting and its removal by two bolts?

14. JerryBB

JerryBB Noble Member

Oct 6, 2019
    Wales

Sounds good mate, thanks, something to chase up

• Like Like x 2