SE baffle removal

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by steve lovatt, Oct 12, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    He was wearing boxing gloves and "kevlar" jogging bottoms!

• Like Like x 2
  2. horned one

horned one Member

Jul 29, 2016
    rhondda
    I used the same hole saw to cut thru the second plate, you don't need the dowel to centre the drill as the hole you have just cut will keep the hole saw "on target". You can remove the drill bit and fit a longer steel rod to the hole saw using the grub screw. I downloaded an app to measure db level, after removing first baffle it was only 2db louder, after second baffle it was 5db louder, with 30 mm hole in third baffle it was 10 db louder but then became much deeper, and throatier. I only drilled out the rest as I wanted TTP tune 3 and that is for straight thru (ish) pipes. I had already removed AI and air box baffle..
    If you want to remove everything I have pics of all the crap that came out and some tips for removing it. Honestly it has been the best mod I have done to the bike. With the tune loaded it pulled so well I have now fit 19t sprocket, which for the Monet is another " no brained" mod.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    CANS CANS CANS Jez!!

4. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    @ DD, I also happen to have a set of laced America wheels which Im going to fit 17" rims to which I can send you pics if you need?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Taxpayer

Taxpayer Member

Sep 20, 2016
    Lancashire nr Blackpool
    Hi Steve let me know how the exhaust was on a longer ride. I've returned the Classic sport exhausts & awaiting their verdict about a refund through Ebay. In the meantime i'm collecting a 44mm hole cutter from Screwfix & will attempt to debaffle soon. If you feel there is anything i should know beforehand, please inform asap. Thanx Phil.

6. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Was he a big chimp???:rolleyes:

7. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    They sound good on a run - not loud like the classic ones but better than stock. They sort of burble and you can hear it echo back off buildings and the hedges in narrow lanes. It suits me as a free modification - definitely worth it.

8. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Just make sure you have something in place to centre the drill bit otherwise it will end in tears. Nothing seems to happen at first and it feels like you'll be drilling for ever but it will go through ok. I hoovered out the waste with "Henry" after I'd finished.
    Have now cut through the end baffle plate with the cutter and it looks much neater.
    The picture is taken end on and you can see the next baffle because if the flash but not in normal viewing.
    20161014_182710-600x1067.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  9. Taxpayer

Taxpayer Member

Sep 20, 2016
    Lancashire nr Blackpool
    Thanx for update, in that last picture is that how it looks now after you have removed the 2nd wall & why did you do it? I presume you have still left the SAI system in place.

10. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    No the picture is a bit misleading - I only removed the remains of the end plate to tidy things up. What you can see is the second baffle. AI is still in place for the moment.

11. Taxpayer

Taxpayer Member

Sep 20, 2016
    Lancashire nr Blackpool
    Ok just checking as i'm about to do it, roughly how long should it take to drill out as i've got work later ?

12. Taxpayer

Taxpayer Member

Sep 20, 2016
    Lancashire nr Blackpool
    #32 Taxpayer, Oct 16, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
    Hi Steve, well i've copied you & removed the baffles but used some 3/4" dowel instead of a branch. Just for some cosmetic difference i've painted the 2nd wall in silver heatproof paint like your 1st picture. However i'm still puzzled by your last pic, as it seems to show you have cut away the second wall, either by accident or design, & if so why?
    The sound is improved on tick over & revs but had no time to test on the road due to work.

13. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Well I suppose it counts as the second wall if you refer to the very end of the pipe (the chrome end cap) as the first wall. I cut it out because I didn't like the fact you could see it - I thought it looked untidy (presumably the reason why you painted yours) and that that the pipe looks better without it.

14. Taxpayer

Taxpayer Member

Sep 20, 2016
    Lancashire nr Blackpool
    When you did the 1st cut as mine is now, did the 2nd cut make any difference to the running of the bike? I realise it will be louder still, but without the SAI removed i thought it might pop & bang on the over run. Soz to go on about it but wanted to know if i can put my drill away yet lol.

15. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    No mate, the bike runs just fine and no different from the day I picked it up. SAI is still on for the moment and yes, I can now hear a bit of popping on deceleration sometimes, which obviously was there before but you couldn't hear it with the exhausts in stock form. Keep your drill out!

16. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    It looks like this now.
    20161017_154748-600x1067.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  17. Taxpayer

Taxpayer Member

Sep 20, 2016
    Lancashire nr Blackpool
    Many thanx going out now to local bike meet so will see & hear for myself in Stage 1 Tune lol

• Like Like x 1
  18. Taxpayer

Taxpayer Member

Sep 20, 2016
    Lancashire nr Blackpool
    Typical just set off & it hammered it down. Thought sod it & enjoyed the new music from my exhausts. Much better all round but could hear popping on closed throttle. Strangely it seemed deeper & louder when fully warmed up. A longer ride is needed before a decision on drilling out the 2nd wall, as i think that would require the SAI system to be removed to cure the impending increased popping.
    Thanx to all for help & comments as this modification is both cheap & a success!

19. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I think the popping was always there but it's just you can hear it now as the exhaust is louder. We haven't really increased the airflow through the pipes - I think you would if you drilled or removed the next baffle. I'm leaving the SAI in place for now.

20. Taxpayer

Taxpayer Member

Sep 20, 2016
    Lancashire nr Blackpool
    Been on a 110 mile run out today & can safely say no problems with performance or sound. The overun popping is now more of a cackle, with a deeper tone/loudness of the exhaust. If anything the modification has improved the bike with a speed of 105mph (on a closed road obviously) reached easily. I would be interested to hear what the top speed is claimed on my model of bike. Only the baffle has been removed so far & the SAI is still in place. Btw i received a full refund on my returned Classic sports megaphone exhausts so win win !

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1