SE baffle removal

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by steve lovatt, Oct 12, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Although I intend to get some aftermarket pipes for the new Bonnie, I thought I would "de-baffle" the stock ones for now as I did with my T100.
    Quite pleased with the new sound - a bit louder and a different sound, more noticeable on tick-over and at lower speeds.

You will need one of these: 44mm hole cutter
    2016-10-12 11.17.14.jpg
    This is what you remove: Once you have cut through it just pulls out together with the sound insulation.
    2016-10-12 11.17.57.jpg
    You need to find a way to centre the drill bit - cue handy branch from the kindling pile!
    2016-10-12 11.18.14.jpg
    Finished result
    2016-10-12 11.15.08.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    "Butchery, sheer butchery !!!! Is what some will say." Actually quite nicely done and good pics.

Nice going Steve, I bet they sound better now ?

• Like Like x 1
  3. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Thank you Dave - not quite "saucy" but better than they were.
    Speaking of butchery, don't I remember someone taking an angle grinder to his T100 pipes? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
  4. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    No, no Steve, I don't remember that............................................................:oops::oops::oops::rolleyes:

• Like Like x 3
  5. horned one

horned one Member

Jul 29, 2016
    rhondda
    Well done. It's a bit nerve racking to start with aint it! Butchered mine too last week, only I found I could not stop myself from drilling out the entire mess that was stuffing up the pipes. Mine are now straight thru (can see the cat) and boy do they sound fantastic.
    Loaded tune 3 from TTP and removed the 02 sensors, it's a different bike. Unbelievable! I reckon I saved £800-1000 as I was gonna fit Arrow or Remus, so glad I didn't.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Taxpayer

Taxpayer Member

Sep 20, 2016
    Lancashire nr Blackpool
    Hi Steve i'm glad you have taken this action as i wanted a better sound & tried the classic pipes without success. First have you removed the SAI system, & if not are you going to? Also compared to Youtube baffleoctomy video where they drill a hole through the second wall of the exhaust, is there a reason you haven't?
    Basically you have removed the baffle which the dealers want about £350/400 for their TORS version.

• Like Like x 1
  7. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    No, I haven't removed the SAI system yet as the bike doesn't really pop and bang on deceleration and the pipes are already blue at the headers. I felt that if I left the other baffles alone then I wouldn't need a remap as I haven't improved the airflow as yet, only made it a bit louder. Was thinking about fitting TORS but reading the horned one's post above I might now have a go at removing the baffles and re tuning after removing the O2 sensors as well.

8. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Y
    Yes mate - a bit nerve wracking on an almost new bike! How did you go about removing the other baffles or did you just drill through with a long bit? Is it straightforward to remove the SAI on the EFI bikes (it was on my carbed Bonnie) - isn't there a solenoid you have to bypass?

9. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Just watched Delboy's garage video on this - apparently you just leave the solenoid in place after removing the two tubes - simples!

10. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Steve, if you remove the SAI system you might make the bike run lean. Here's my logic:
    1. SAI system permits fresh air to enter the header pipes/exhaust downpipes downstream of the head but upstream of the O² sensor;

2. The O² sensor is downstream of the SAI fresh air inlet, so it is measuring not only the exhaust gases (with any unburnt fuel) but also the the oxygen in the SAI. So the readings the O² gives to the ECU for fuelling calculations takes into account the SAI air.

Bare in mind the bike manufacturers are encouraged by pollution targets to run the bikes lean.

2. Now if you remove the SAI - in any form - the O² sensor is getting getting only the stream of exhaust gases with any unburnt fuel, so giving a different reading to the ECU which could interpret that reading as overly rich, therefore lean down the fuel input by the fuel injectors and make the bike run even more lean.

NB. All of these anti-pollution usually work at 0% to perhaps 10% of full throttle so it's important to see them in context.

If I had your bike Steve, I would be looking at the bigger picture - how can I remove this stuff without creating any lean-burn situations.

My feeling is this:

1. Remove the AI system and the O² sensor; remove any airbox restrictions and replace the air filter with a free flowing one K&N/DNA etc etc; Replace the std can with a free flowing version - not too loud but free flowing.

Do all these mods AT THE SAME TIME.

2. Go to TuneECU and select a Tiger 800 modified fuelling map that most resembles your configuration and install that map.

That of course is assuming that TuneECU will talk to your bikes ECU as the manufacturers are supposedly including lock-outs on some bikes.

Some clever so and so will get around them though.....................................

PS On EFi Bonnies you can turn off the AI component of the fuelling map using TuneECU, which allows you to totally remove the AI system including the solenoid. This means no fault lights are triggered.

It would be handy to know if that applies to Tiger 800 ?????

• Like Like x 2
  11. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    That was my thought Dave - no point in a remap until the exhaust is changed at some point. To be honest, I'm more than happy to be back on a Bonnie at the moment and this one feels quicker than my old T100 ever did. I have had no issues with a snatchy throttle or hesitation at low speeds with this bike and I'm tempted to leave it alone until I change the pipes. If I want to go faster I can always take the Tiger!

12. Taxpayer

Taxpayer Member

Sep 20, 2016
    Lancashire nr Blackpool
    You have almost convinced me to do the same to mine, it's just a pity we can't hear them. Glad to hear you have had no issues at all, but have you been on a decent run since to compare the differences?

13. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    When I rode Erics (Tigcraft) Bonny - a 2012 - It felt smoother and more nippy than my 2010 bike so I reckon that they are improving them 'on the quiet' so to speak.

You know what they say Steve - if it ain't broke don't fix it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    No, only a short run into Winchester. Hopefully give it a longer run out tomorrow!

15. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    The gearing
    The gearing is better on these later bikes - no need to fit the 19 tooth sprocket as I did on the T100.

16. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    I never thought about that Steve, I had a 19T on mine too !!!

• Like Like x 1
  17. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Cheers mate - there was great potential to make a mess, believe me!

• Like Like x 1
  18. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Steve, I've just come across this video and found it interesting. It shows a Power Commander being installed on a 2016 Speed Twin and clearly shows that the 2 O² sensors are disconnected as part of the install.

I'm not saying this is necessarily what you should do, but it is an interesting work around IF the ECU really is Locked out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Who was the chimp????:);):D

20. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Anyway, I've a spare set of cast wheel cans and also thruxton ones should anybody fokk them up!!