Scrambler exhaust advice sought...

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Triumpirate, Aug 23, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Triumpirate

Triumpirate Member

Aug 15, 2016
    USA
    #1 Triumpirate, Aug 23, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
    I'm looking to change my stock 2008 Scramber exhaust. I plan on turning my now all stock, domesticated steed into something a bit more desert sleddish. I have a few choices in mind for the exhaust, but I also have concerns that some of these exhausts might be too brutal on the ears. I've already lost my fair share of hearing due to long term exposure to industrial noise (i.e. Jet engines, motorcycles, The Who and guns during my misspent youth).

Today I ride using a quiet, full face Shoei helmet and always wear ear plugs now. So I want a set of sporty pipes that brings out the awesome 270 Scrambler exhaust note, but I don't want a damned screamer that is just over the top and ridiculous.

I have seen several of them on youtube, but really you simply can't tell how loud they are on youtube alone. Most of them are Italian systems, which I've heard can be used with and without dB killers. What I'm looking for is advice from those that have heard these systems in the flesh and can attest to how loud they are or aren't with and without the dB killer. Also, hopefully a word on if the dB killers kill more than just sound and make the bike into a slug by plugging the motor up excessively. Here are the systems I like best, in order:

1. Massmoto Mohave - This one sounds quite mellow to me in the video clip below, but the pipes look pretty much straight. So...how loud it is really?

2. Zard Cross exhaust 2 into 1 - Once again, sounds nice and mellow in the first youtube clip below. The second video you can definitely hear the growl without dB killer. I've heard others say this pipe is a screamer. Not sure what to think.

3. Zard high pipe 2 into 1 system - Sounds pretty reasonable in this video, but gets barky on throttle. Not sure if this unit has the dB killer in or out.

The other option I'm considering is a setup like this...
    [​IMG]

This setup uses the stock header and straight pipes, but trimming a bit from their ends and replacing the OEM chrome uber sausages with these smaller units. I'm guessing it's pretty loud with these mini-mufflers, but was thinking if I added a dB killer to each pipe in addition to the mufflers shown it might actually be reasonable. I don't care for the heat shielding they used on this particular bike and I would go a different route there, but otherwise I think this is very sharp setup.

Any and all opinions welcomed, especially for those that have seen or heard these systems up close. Thanks...

2. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    The last one is the coolest :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. sprocket42

sprocket42 Member

Dec 14, 2014
    tagoat, wexford
    I'm very happy with the Britracer system, it is quite LOUD without the mute and very quiet with it. However you can always progressively open up the holes in any mute to 'tune' it to your personal taste.

4. Triumpirate

Triumpirate Member

Aug 15, 2016
    USA
    Darkman - I like the last one too and the good thing about it is that it can be done for less than $100. I'm thinking I may go that route for starters and see how I like it. If not, not too much lost down the motorcycle money rabbit hole.

Sprocket42 - Can you show me and/or tell me more about your Britracer system? Not familiar with that one.

• Like Like x 1
  5. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
  6. sprocket42

sprocket42 Member

Dec 14, 2014
    tagoat, wexford
  7. Triumpirate

Triumpirate Member

Aug 15, 2016
    USA
    Biglad - YES I did see that one. What a great deal and essentially looks the same as the Zard system. That one's on my list too. But again, anyone have any info on loudness, compatibility with dB killers etc?'

Sprocket - Thanks, very classic appearance and I believe similar to what Steve McQueen actually ran in the 60s when he was still on a Triumph. Great classic look and looks ample enough to dampen the roar of the engine too.

8. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    If it's any help most systems come with removable baffles, these are the best to go for as you can tune the removable baffle by drilling holes and or cutting them down, i have just finished drilling and cutting a baffle on my bike as it was to quiet with and to loud without :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi TP, right at the very end of the TEC video you can hear what this system sounds like, with the baffles in.

• Like Like x 1
  10. sprocket42

sprocket42 Member

Dec 14, 2014
    tagoat, wexford
    I have a pair of Norman Hyde classic silencers for the scrambler with mutes sitting in the shed doing nothing if you are interested for not a lot more than the cost of shipping (from Ireland)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Triumpirate

Triumpirate Member

Aug 15, 2016
    USA
    Thanks for the offer sprocket, very kind and generous of you. I live in the states though, so the shipping would probably be a bit prohibitive. I do appreciate the offer though. I'm thinking I may try to do the Evel Knievel pipe system shown up there first and see how I like it. Looks pretty good to my eye and hopefully can be tuned with the help of variably drilled baffles as you wisely proposed.

And if you don't mind me asking, is that you standing next to your bike in your avatar? If so, you look a bit heavier in that photo than in your recent picture posted on the other thread. You mention being a vegetarian and I saw the greenhouse structure in the back, so I couldn't help but wonder if you made a lifestyle change. I sometime think of doing the same (as my sister has), but as a lifelong "lord carnivore", it's pretty hard for me to fathom myself going that way.

• Like Like x 1
  12. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Hate to say it HT but that boat sailed years ago!!

• Like Like x 1
  13. sprocket42

sprocket42 Member

Dec 14, 2014
    tagoat, wexford
    Yes Triumphpirate I made a lifestyle change a while ago, I now live in southern Ireland with my partner and I suppose we are 2 old hippies, I grow organic veggies in the garden, we have 2 hens for eggs only and life is sweet. I am a long time vegetarian and feel quite healthy on it but I can appreciate that it would be difficult to give up meat. My weight stays fairly constant although I am very busy looking after the vegetables during the early summer I maybe lose some then.

14. Triumpirate

Triumpirate Member

Aug 15, 2016
    USA
    Sprocket - Sounds like you're on to the good way of living. I see myself moving in that direction within a decade or so. Although I also think if that I just modulated the meat to chicken and fish and at smaller portions while upping the fresh veggies and fruit, that would be just as good. Have you sworn off alcohol? Or perhaps you've been a teatotaler all along? Seems unlikely if you're truly "Irish." ;) I'm a mix of English, Irish, German and Scotch. And as such, I'm pretty much doomed as a genetic ale swiller. Although recently (after turning 50) I have abstained from drinking since last year just to see how it feels. And honestly...it feels pretty good! I enjoy music and women better with Ale though. For me, I know very well why the Greeks created and then worshipped the god of Dionysus. One of the very few religions that actually makes some kind of sense. :D

• Like Like x 1
  15. sprocket42

sprocket42 Member

Dec 14, 2014
    tagoat, wexford
    Hey Triumpirate, I'm from the UK originally and known as a "blow in" here in Ireland. I did try very hard with the demon drink when I was young but the massive hangovers I got the morning after killed it for me, so 40 years off the booze. I'm also a devout atheist and have no time for any of the modern religions. So there you go, story of my life in a few words - Ian