Scrambler Scrambler 1200 Scraping Pegs

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by PeteZ, Jan 28, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bret Morey

Bret Morey Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Alexandria, PA - USA
    I think of it as more comparable to an adventure bike, with less wind protection and luggage mounting options, but with a retro style. Heavy? Yes, it is heavy for off-road. That said, the weight is low and manageable, and it actually is much easier for me to handle off-road than my buddies 1200GS. It has excellent suspension, and enough travel to manage the weight offroad. Put the right rider on it, and it will go places off road that lots of people aren't comfortable doing on a proper dual-sport, or even a real dirt bike. If you think heavy bikes can't handle proper offroading, I recommend looking into videos on what some of the better riders are doing on heavy bulky adventure bikes. I've seen guys do things with these modern heavy bikes that I would struggle to do on a RM or YZ.

I am old, and way less brave than I was when I was a young man, but I still climb stuff on my DRZ that guys I ride with are afraid to tackle on their MX and trail bikes, and once I get the scrambler 1200 broken in and get over the fear of dropping it, i will take it on stuff lots of guys wouldn't take a heavier dual sport like the DRZ on. The bike isn't too heavy or otherwise incapable of riding offroad, but it might just be too damned pretty for it.

I do agree that the current use of 'scrambler' is getting stretched quite a bit in a lot of weird ways, but that doesn't bother me. You could call in the Triumph Turkey Baster 1200, and I would still smile from ear to ear when I was riding it, and it wouldn't bother me one bit that it is useless for browning the skin or keeping the breast moist on my holiday bird.

• Like Like x 6
  2. Nikolai Michaleski

Nikolai Michaleski New Member

May 23, 2019
    Vancouver
    The Scrambler 1200 XE is a naked adventure bike with retro styling, period. Love mine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    Where’s Petez gone?

4. PeteZ

PeteZ Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2018
    Pilgrims Hatch
    Busy scrambling his Scrambler :p

• Like Like x 3
  5. Spencert231

Spencert231 Member

May 9, 2019
    France
    Well I have been on Adventure bikes since 2004 with an RT (water cooled) in between. Predominantly they were Tigers but as I'm getting older (68) I needed to find a bike that didn't need as much planning and preparation before selecting my route. I have average skills done most all skills courses so never been afraid to admit I don't have it all. Before I selected my SS 900 did all others by the name of scrambler or with a GS in its name. The Scrambler 1200 frightened the crap out of me as I could see my licence disappear great bike, but! I would not like to either load it up and call it an adventure or naked as a scrambler too far to land, too heavy to pick up, too tall to negotiate a reversed camber on unfamiliar roads. The SS900 no I would not scramble it but so many farm roads here in France its perfect for everything except motorways, but who wants them.

TimePhoto_20190518_170124.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  6. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    Sorry Pete I must have hit an ignore button by mistake so all your messages had disappeared,
    Hope you’re ok and get the bike sorted

• Like Like x 1
  7. PeteZ

PeteZ Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2018
    Pilgrims Hatch
    All good here, Back on the road, 1300miles in and about to put an open pipe on it

8. PeteZ

PeteZ Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2018
    Pilgrims Hatch
    Just gonna leave this here,hope this is off road enough for some to earn the name Scrambler...

• Like Like x 2
  9. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    If you’re British this is what ‘scrambling’ means. Then the marketing guys nicked the lingo......

• Like Like x 3
  10. PeteZ

PeteZ Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2018
    Pilgrims Hatch
    When I hear Scrambler, this is what I see ( I know, slightly glorified picture, but the one that is helping to feed the marketing hype so successfully, and rightly so)
    [​IMG]

Modified road bike with some Off road potential/ambition. At the beginnings, usually absolute pig to ride, heavy and in need of a proper ballsy rider to handle the bike and terrain.
    The definition for me stays the same, "a modified road bike with some off road potential..." which to me is exactly what Triumph was aiming for in the marketing hype, the glory days when "real man" were riding slightly modified bikes in very tough conditions, and I'm perfectly happy for them to use the name Scrambler.

The later years, like in the video, seen bikes purposely build for Scrambling, light and much more capable than the original machines. No questions or arguments about whether these bikes were better off road.

No one in the showroom claimed to me it will beat a 250cc four stroke.

The Yanks say :
    "The Scrambler’s roots lie across the ocean in England back in the late 1920’s, in the form of point to point races that favored speed over rules. Competitors were tasked with racing from point A to B in the shortest time possible to win, conquering whatever terrain laid in their way to shave off those precious seconds.

""In a world before mass-produced dirt bikes, riders would have to convert their every day road bikes into grass churning, hill climbing beasts""

that could handle themselves on any surface - the rougher the better. Before long these ‘scramble’ races developed into closed circuit trials riding, motocross, and the Californian desert scramble, and by the mid 1960’s bikes more closely resembling the dirtbikes we see today began to go into production."

I think the bottom line for me is, with my skills this bike will be a naked adventure bike with some occasional trips but mainly local green lane/B roads twisties "scrambler style if you wish" bike.
    In hands of someone else, it will be a curb crusher that will never see a grain of dirt.
    In a hands of some like Ernie, it is a proper Scrambler..

• Like Like x 2
  11. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    #51 Glyn Phillips, Jun 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    Still the same for me mate, compare to Callumity video with bikes half the weight They’re Scramblers,
    I know it’s going to upset you but your video is fast and flat with one tiny jump that nosedived.
    It’s an awesome bike.with the wrong description
    Steve McQueen even jumped his with army bodywork.

We’re going to have to agree to disagree.although I do love the bike

12. PeteZ

PeteZ Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2018
    Pilgrims Hatch
    #52 PeteZ, Jun 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    I do not get upset that easily Glyn :p
    Lighter bike build with off roading in mind will always be better, nobody disputes that. I'm aiming at the beginnings of Scrambling, to the times of heavy road bikes slightly tweaked to scramble. I'm pretty sure that is what the marketing is about, as if they tried to claim that it will beat a full on dirt bike, even the biggest fan and optimist would laugh them off.
    Does not matter, I'm calling it a Scrambler and even you have to admit, if nothing else, it bloody looks like one, and a pretty sexy one too ;)

13. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    Honestly I do love the bike, I’m even contemplating getting one,
    If I do though it’s staying on the road:p

• Like Like x 1
  14. PeteZ

PeteZ Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2018
    Pilgrims Hatch
    Do not blame you for that, luckily for you, it is an absolute hoot on the road. Like a supermotard for grown ups.
    Imagine the Tiger 1200 had a baby with the Thruxton :bomb::D

• Like Like x 1
  15. Retired Phil

Retired Phil Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2017
    San Rafael
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. PeteZ

PeteZ Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2018
    Pilgrims Hatch
    Yeah thats the one I have posted above, but it transpires, that is not "off road enough" but at the end we have agreed that it is a great bike :)
    I called it Scrambler, others naked adventure bike and some called it hipsters kerb crusher.. to busy enjoying it to care :D

• Like Like x 1
  17. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    I how about trailie ‘X’ :p

• Like Like x 1
  18. Bret Morey

Bret Morey Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Alexandria, PA - USA
    The video may not show enough to gain the respect of those with made up minds, but how can you deny that placing 5th in the Mexican 1000 in nearly stock configuration against a bunch of dirtbikes proves that the triscram 1200 has respectable offroad chops?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2