Scrambler Scrambler 1200 Scraping Pegs

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by PeteZ, Jan 28, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    Pete I’ve just searched ‘ define scrambler Motorcycles ‘
    First line reads a lightweight motorcycle equipped with rugged tyres. Hmm it’s amazing I found on google a completely different explanation to what you found..

How strange we both managed to get a different answer from the internet, I feel I’ve been here before

2. foxy52

foxy52 Active Member

Jan 9, 2017
    Derbyshire
    A short extract from Cycle World's Scrambler 1200 test : "No other Scrambler or adventure has ever felt more similar to a dirt bike than the Scrambler 1200 in an off-road situation."

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    #23 Glyn Phillips, Mar 11, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    208 kg, mate that’s double the weight of the largest real dirt bikes, please be serious.
    This is a lovely lovely road bike but it ain’t no dirtbike.

Watch long way round with Charle Boorman. And Ewan McGregor and see how many times they crash on the unwieldy BMW GS.
    Which by the way is a couple of kg lighter.

4. PeteZ

PeteZ Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2018
    Pilgrims Hatch
    When I think of a true early Scramblers, I imagine these..
    BSA Hornet (170kg), Triumph TT Special (170kg dry, 188 wet) .... while this is still 30kg less than current 1200 scrambler, combined that with barely about 3" of suspension travel and, well I think you get the point..Bottom line is they were a "road bikes with some off road potential and/or ambition" but I do not expect you to agree even to that..
    Anyway, I got to go, I'm busy having outrageous amounts of fun on my overpriced fake Scrambler with bolt on accessories while riding on and OFF road.
    I hope that does not upset the balance in the universe of "the real, properly customised off road scramblers" too much..Also growing a beard and checkered shirt incoming..

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    I don’t like the real outcome, so I’m taking my ball back, same old Pete

6. foxy52

foxy52 Active Member

Jan 9, 2017
    Derbyshire
    Just because it's too big/heavy/shiney/expensive/not-enough-gap-between-the-mudguard & front wheel for YOU, doesn't mean it's no good off road. There are many thousands of people who it IS good off-road for. There are many very big/tall guys out there who don't fit a small, lightweight bike & for them the Triumph may well fit the bill. Regarding it's off-road potential - Re-read the Cycle World extract above over & over until you can absorb what it means.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    Don’t need to mate, I’ve been riding all my life and a 200+ kilo off road can only end with it hitting the floor harder than 100 kilo bike

8. PeteZ

PeteZ Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2018
    Pilgrims Hatch
    Glyn, nothing to do with the real outcome.
    As far as I can see here, you have stepped in slagging off Triumph for daring to call that bike a Scrambler.
    Now my understanding is,in their marketing, they are referring to the fifties and sixties, where first Scramblers were road bikes taken off road after some very basic customisation.
    They are particularly aiming at this age as it is now considered cool, thanks to the boys who had the skills and balls to take that gently customised road bike off road, which certainly required both.
    I have never ever heard or seen anyone from Triumph to claim this could compete with modern off road bikes or "your vision of 70s and 80s scramblers", which were already designed and build with off roading in mind as far as I can tell.
    We both have clearly a different view of the term Scrambler and to what Triumph is advertising here, so lets leave it there before we waste any more of each others time Glyn..

• Like Like x 1
  9. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    Not a problem, I’m a realist not a dreamer.
    If it does what it says on tin fine, if not don’t put it on the tin

10. foxy52

foxy52 Active Member

Jan 9, 2017
    Derbyshire
    So if that's the issue, then why did you buy a 200kg v. a 100kg bike?

11. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    As I’ve alread said my Thruxton is a pretend old school race type bike pretend being the operative word,
    Looks lovely to me, but I’m not going to stick it on track with a race bike because it would tie itself in knots before going into a gravel trap

12. PeteZ

PeteZ Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2018
    Pilgrims Hatch
    Sorry Glyn, this maybe a misunderstanding. If your local dealer told you the Scrambler 1200 is a dirt bike, he is defo trying to trick you. That's not what my dealer is telling me though and definitely not what I see in the advertisement ..

13. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    Perhaps there is some confusion :p

14. foxy52

foxy52 Active Member

Jan 9, 2017
    Derbyshire
    It's nothing to do with racing/scrambling/touring/whatever. You can come off any bike at any speed. Your argument is you're going to hurt yourself on a 200kg bike more than a 100kg one. So why did you buy a 200kg bike?

15. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    The odds falling off when off road are far greater than normal tarmac riding, if you don’t think that will happen more on an unwieldy 200 kg motorcycle than a lightweight dirt bike then so be it.

Good luck fella, but don’t ride on your own, you may need assistance lifting that lump up again

16. In my own world

In my own world Senior Member

Dec 22, 2018
    West Sussex
    I can remember the Trumpet Scambler from the '70s. It made a good capable green laner and trail bike with men mostly dressed in wax cotton jackets riding them. Today's scrambler is a take on that.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    What model was it?

18. In my own world

Dec 22, 2018
    West Sussex
    Can't recall the model number but can i remember the chap up the road had a red one with a white band on the tank. Had a high up exhaust similar to the new model. Think they came painted in old English white too

19. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    #39 Glyn Phillips, Mar 11, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    The only bike I can relate to a 70’s Scrambler is a BSA B50ss but that doesn’t really as it’s dry weight is 135kg and 70kg extra doesn’t really compare.

20. In my own world

Dec 22, 2018
    West Sussex
    #40 In my own world, Mar 12, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    Sure it was the original Triumph Tiger that am thinking about.