Scrambler Scrambler 1200 Scraping Pegs

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by PeteZ, Jan 28, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. PeteZ

PeteZ Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2018
    Pilgrims Hatch
    This video is in French, but actually not a lot of talking there, some decent onboard footage of this Frenchie scraping pegs on the new 1200XC and some fun off road.

2. mpllineman

mpllineman First Class Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    Cool video. Thanks for posting it. and you're right about the talking, who needs it anyway!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. PeteZ

PeteZ Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2018
    Pilgrims Hatch
    The XE off road

• Like Like x 1
  4. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    Love the bike but that’s about off road as parking in the Lakeside Tesco car park including the puddle :p

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. PeteZ

PeteZ Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2018
    Pilgrims Hatch
    It is important to be realistic in life, just like the six pack that ain't comin' back :cool::joy:

6. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    You’re right but if the mudguard is 3mm from the tyre, don’t call it a scrambler :eek:

7. PeteZ

PeteZ Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2018
    Pilgrims Hatch
    Surely more of a scrambler than anything else out there, factory produced, using that name..scrambler enough for anything most people will ever throw at it, unless you are full on in which case you would not even look in this direction..

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    Scramblers became Enduros, so no, all the modern scramblers are echoes from the 70’s and 80’s look up Yamaha DT, Honda XL,s Suzuki ER,s Kawasaki KL,s and you’ll get the picture.
    Those bikes could actually be scramblers.

None look like the Triumph Scrambler, it’s just a modern interpretation of an old school bike.

Put it against a real old school scramblers and it’ll get destroyed, I’m talking BSA B50ss proper old school Yamaha XT 500 and the like will mince it off road

Then the real Enduros took over

This scambler is more like a scammer than a scrambler

9. PeteZ

PeteZ Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2018
    Pilgrims Hatch
    Yeah, sure, I did my home work, I know what a "Scrambler was back in the days", not my point..I can commute on my current street scrambler daily and take the long way home via some green lanes and throw a bit of mud up with the traction off..it makes me happy and puts a smile on my face without a fail every single time a sit on it, regardless of what it's called and whether my surname is McQueen or Mr. Everyday Nobody..that's what matters and trust me, I do not feel scammed in the slightest, in fact I'm about to give them more of my very hard earned cash..it makes me happy, that fake Scrambler, very happy indeed..

• Like Like x 4
  10. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    Mate fair play, I wouldn’t throw any Triumph Scrambler at a field, way too nice.

I’d buy the scrambler for the road and get a cheap dirt bike for the field

11. foxy52

foxy52 Active Member

Jan 9, 2017
    Derbyshire
    Off we go again - slating each others choice of bike. I haven't ridden a 1200 Scrambler off road, but if I had my opinion would be worthless as I'm not an expert. So, I have two options left - read reports from expert/professional road testers (from various countries, to hopefully get a more balanced view), Or..... read GP's account.... Results are in - The testers all agree it's great on & off road. GP summarizes by saying it's off-road potential is supermarket puddles. Err... let's see....who shall I go with.... (before I decide.... you have ridden one.... haven't you......to form such an unbiased opinion....?)
    You state a Scrambler is "just a modern interpretation of an old school" bike. (true). Wait...isn't that exactly what your Thruxton is - a modern interpretation of a 60's/70's cafe racer? Christ, I hope you haven't been scammed, mate.

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. foxy52

foxy52 Active Member

Jan 9, 2017
    Derbyshire
    Off we go again - slating each others choice of bike. I haven't ridden a 1200 Scrambler off road, but if I had my opinion would be worthless as I'm not an expert. So, I have two options left - read reports from expert/professional road testers (from various countries, to hopefully get a more balanced view), Or..... read GP's account.... Results are in - The testers all agree it's great on & off road. GP summarizes by saying it's off-road potential is supermarket puddles. Err... let's see....who shall I go with.... (before I decide.... you have ridden one.... haven't you......to form such an unbiased opinion....?)
    You state a Scrambler is "just a modern interpretation of an old school" bike. (true). Wait...isn't that exactly what your Thruxton is - a modern interpretation of a 60's/70's cafe racer? Christ, I hope you haven't been scammed, mate.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    Yep but I’m not putting my Thruxton on a race track, if I was going to do that I’d buy a racebike.
    The Scrambler is clearly not an off road bike whatever way you look at it.

Horses for courses, and don’t stick a k10 motorbike in a situation it’s clearly not capable of, the Road test video that’s shown is near enough flat with a puddle, come on

14. PeteZ

PeteZ Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2018
    Pilgrims Hatch
    If I wanted to go Travis Pastrana style, sure I would get a dirt bike, but for my level of off road riding, the Scrambler will do just fine.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Gazwhitespeed

Gazwhitespeed Senior Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Northampton
    I'm jealous of you guys that are over 6ft tall,i had to sell my beloved ktm 1190 because the seat height was too tall for me.Stood next to the 1200 scrambler the other day,like a bloody horse,it's huge.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    By the way Pete it’s not the bike I’m slating I really do love it, it’s Triumph advertising it as something it’s not

17. PeteZ

PeteZ Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2018
    Pilgrims Hatch
    ..The Scrambler motorcycle is a type of bike which isn't easy to place in a box. ... The term “scrambler” has been in common use in the United States since the 50's and 60's to describe a street bike with off-road potential (or ambition)

Seems pretty fair and fitting description to anything with knoblies and at least a bit of extra suspenion..
    Back in the days they were a nescessity as there was nothing else, now they are a choice..

But none of it matters, I, like many others, don’t care about horsepower or if it really can “scramble” .. if it makes me feel alive and happy and helps me escape the daily grind, I don’t care how they sell it to me, I’m in...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex

19. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    #19 Glyn Phillips, Mar 9, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    You seem to be explaining what we already know, mate I love the bike as a road bike but don’t tell me shit smells like roses because it really doesn’t..

If it’s the bike for you that’s all that matters but Triumph are pushing it to be something it isn’t.
    Not me or you:cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. PeteZ

PeteZ Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2018
    Pilgrims Hatch
    Well I don't think they are. They are not claiming it is a dirt bike or and enduro. There is no digitally enhanced videos of anyone backfliping it or competing in a pro off road race or extreme off road competitions.
    It is advertised as a Scrambler, which by the definition I have given you earlier, is a road bike with some off road potential or ambition. (in this case actually a fair bit of ambition compare to anything else that's currently advertised under that name) Which is exactly what it is as well as Naked adventure bike and yes, also a lifestyle choice.
    So back to where we started, just because you (and others) think it's too pretty, too heavy and too expensive, that does not mean it can't be taken off road, to a certain degree.
    The very first and true Scramblers were a pig to ride and required good set of skills and decent balls size, as they were nothing else than, well, ermm, a modified road bike with some off road ambition..

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2