Schott, Langlitz And Lewis

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by Kin Ton Ti, Jan 30, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Buzzard ii

Buzzard ii New Member

Feb 24, 2018
    NoVA
    Coming from the states I have a full set of Langlitz in goat skin. The best leather's I've had in 52 years of riding. Far better than Schott. I also have a vest, waistcoat to you limey's, made by Foxcreek. As Dougie said top notch gear and exceptional quality leather. I would buy Foxcreek before Schott as well.

However I feel you should buy quality gear local, or at least in your own country.

Also I guess Langlitz has the same clientele as Lewis. On the fitting form they send you they ask if you're going to ride a motorcycle in this motorcycle gear.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Buzzard ii

Buzzard ii New Member

Feb 24, 2018
    NoVA
    Whoa sorry. I didn't realize when I posted that Kin Ton Ti was from Virginia. So unless you really want to spend the real big bucks hop on the Blue Ridge Parkway and ride on down to Independence, VA. and shop in Foxcreek.

Or take your car down I-81 to RT.21 in Wytheville, VA. and head south. It would be on your right hand side about 5 miles before you reach Independence. Oh, and check out their vest in chocolate color Buffalo skin.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Kin Ton Ti

Kin Ton Ti Supreme Galactic Commander

Jan 5, 2019
    Virginia
    And to think I just rode through Wytheville on the way back from Biketoberfest! :mad: I had no idea though. Until I posted this, I had never even heard of Foxcreek.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Christopher Holmes

Apr 26, 2019
    Seattle, Washington
    I've had Schott, I currently have Vanson, Langlitz as well as Aero Leathers, though the Aero is their 1930s Half Belt and not really a motorcycle styled jacket, it is leather and thick Steerhide at that.

Vanson Comet:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Langlitz Timberline/Sidewinder custom:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And Aero Half Belt:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think if Langlitz is on your radar and short list of affordable options, you can't really go wrong with a custom fit, and their customer service impeccable. Probably my favorite riding jacket I've owned to date. And if you're not wanting to wait the lead-time for a custom fit, they also have off-the-rack jackets ready to go. Or if it's custom you want, their prices for custom is the same as a off-the-rack, of course the benefit of custom is you can add/delete what ever features you wish. You start with a basic model, and add features, and based on the features added will result in the final price.

Living in Seattle, I try to stop by and peruse their used rack when ever I'm traveling thru Portland.

Best of luck, I hope I was at least a little bit helpful.

Cheers!

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. mrstyles417

mrstyles417 New Member

Jun 5, 2023
    hollywood, FL, USA
    I couldn't resist chiming in on this topic because Schott, Langlitz, and Lewis are all exceptional brands that have made their mark in the world of leather jackets. Each brand brings its own unique style, craftsmanship, and heritage to the table, making it difficult to choose a favorite.

Schott: Schott is a legendary American brand that has been crafting leather jackets since 1913. Known for their iconic Perfecto jacket, Schott is synonymous with rebellion, rock 'n' roll, and motorcycle culture. Their attention to detail, quality materials, and timeless designs have made them a favorite among both bikers and fashion enthusiasts.

Langlitz: When it comes to motorcycle-specific leather jackets, Langlitz is a name that can't be overlooked. This Portland-based brand has been producing custom leather jackets for motorcyclists since 1947. Langlitz jackets are known for their impeccable fit, durability, and superior protection, making them a top choice for serious riders who value functionality without compromising style.
    https://www.mr-styles.com/street-steel-blade-jacket/

• Like Like x 1
  6. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    You managed to resist for four years, but then it just got too much?

• Funny Funny x 3
  7. Pedro1340

Pedro1340 Senior Member

Jan 31, 2018
    .Glasgow
    Langlitz every time, like the old Harley advert, if you need to ask , you wont understand.
    Vanson is also up there with the best riding jackets also. Just my opinion of course, but I also have owned M/C jackets from all the major players, currently have 20 or more in rotation. The older belstaff jackets, especially the Montana is also among the very best.

8. tim scott

tim scott Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2021
    Kent
    I picked up a vintage brown leather Schott bomber in a charity shop in Kingston for £25 - I got a new zip put in and have riden in it ever since - it’s a beautiful jacket on and off the bike

• Like Like x 1
  9. learningtofly

learningtofly He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!
    Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    I have four Schott jackets, three of which were bought on various visits to their Spring Street store in NYC. I actually got offered friends and family discount for the last two :grinning:

Wonderful jackets!

• Love You Love You x 1
  10. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Without a doubt, the strangest looking jackets I’ve ever seen. Seemingly no facility for armour, either.

11. Pedro1340

Pedro1340 Senior Member

Jan 31, 2018
    .Glasgow
    I think you may be looking at the dudes on dodgy sites,,if that's the case then I tend to agree with you :) have you tried one one? Ridden in one?
    I think you may find that langlitz may build a jacket with armour on request. Personally I have many jackets with armour, but prefer my vansons, belstaff and langlitz, not the dodgy looking ones I may add , it's horses for courses.

12. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    No, I was looking at the stock jackets on the Langlitz website. Perhaps it’s just very poor (and very dated) photography, but they look a very weird cut and have some strange design details.

That said, I don’t doubt that the quality is up there with the best.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Pedro1340

Pedro1340 Senior Member

Jan 31, 2018
    .Glasgow
    I agree with you that the langlitz website doesn't do themselves justice, but in fairness their products are 1st class for motorcycling, the gay/buf pics are not typical of the fit or the regular wearer please believe me :) .,,, I own and wear dainese etc all with armour but I find my vansons, langlitz, belstaff Montana etc all feel better and like they were designed for motorcyclists by motorcyclists.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I have one Schott jacket and love it! But...I thought it would be great for riding but the jacket I got (as a gift I might add) doesn't have armor pockets or gussets for shoulder movement on the bike. Therefore it's a strictly "off the bike" jacket for me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    #35 Iceman, Sep 27, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2023
    I had a Lewis Leather jacket in the sixties, however as manufacturing progressed with safety features such as armour and in the last few years air bag kit, as soon as leathers were made with body armour I bought these and have never gone back to riding without. Any motorcycle garment with no protective armour will result in limbs being at high risk of impact damage, a spill at even low speed can see a rider hitting the tarmac, gravel, kerbs, trees etc etc, not to mention other vehicles, and this never ends well for a rider, but good protection can reduce the risks considerably. For me personally I only wear these types of jackets for social reasons, unless they have pockets for armour on the back, chest elbows and shoulders. I must stress this is me personally and in no way a criticism of anyone who chooses to ride with whatever they choose. I only ride in one piece leathers be it hot, cold or rain, and my next set are with an air bag. Ride safe all from an ageing Rocker.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    That is a fantastic deal, @tim scott!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    The best leathers, quality wise, I've ever owned have been two MTM one piece suits made by Manx Leathers in 1989 and another by Crowtree Leathers in 1996. The Manx suit ended it's days being cut off me by hospital staff after a little incident in 1994. I still have the Crowtrees in the loft but dang! if they haven't gone and shrunk and I can't get in them anymore! I'm not sure if Manx are still in business but Crowtree folded some years ago after owners Alec and Linda Baumber retired and Alec passed away in 2014. I recently had a Lewis Leathers jacket I bought in 1983 refurbished with replacement of a broken main zip and a good old fettle of the leather buy a Co. in London and they did a fantastic job and yes, it still fits, just!:joy: I tend to ride mostly in armoured textile gear these days.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Hi Pegscraper like your post, Lewis Leathers are always looking to buy back original jackets, any that come up for sale command really good prices, pop into the London shop and you can get a made to measure jacket, or fill out the measurement chart and order it that way. The boots are a real work of art, still plenty about especially on the Rockers Reunion fests with not a Lambretta in sight, not that there is anything wrong with them of course, but out of place at the reunion. Ride safe all from an ageing Rocker.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    I contacted the Lewis Leathers shop regarding my old jacket and they said they were so busy with new orders that they couldn't take on the repair at the time but they recommended this place in London where they had sent repair work previously. Their work is that good you can't tell my jacket has had a new zip.

https://aceofsuedes.co.uk/

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1