Sat Nav Help

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Ken walburn, Apr 15, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    My Tom Tom Sat Nav died the other week, unfortunately I missed out on the one for sale on this forum. Just wondered if anyone has any experience of using a mobile phone as a Sat Nav ( mounted in a suitable waterproof case of course). Feel that I need to get something sorted before I depart for the Scotland trip. Do not really want to spend £300 + on a new one.

2. Gary_P

Gary_P Active Member

May 19, 2016
    North Yorkshire
    I use my mobile phone as a satnav, went all round France last year using mostly google maps, but I have got co-pilot too. I have a usb charger on the bars and a ram mount that is used to house the phone holder.
    These guys make some good phone holders and mounts (where I got mine from)
    http://www.twistyride.com/

A cheap bluetooth fixed to the helmet and it works a treat.

27A76E2F-75C4-4B8A-96AD-52853E376A5B.jpeg

84A1D080-06AA-4497-961F-3A67E5960DCC.jpeg

F209AD0B-E22F-4F8F-B9E4-D6614BF4F68B.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  3. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    I already have a Bluetooth scala rider set & USB fitted to bike, so I think I'll use my phone in my tank bag ( clear waterproof top pocket) if I can get it to pair, thanks for advice

• Like Like x 1
  4. Gary_P

Gary_P Active Member

May 19, 2016
    North Yorkshire
    Sounds like a decent plan ken, before I got the holder I did the same and it worked fine.

Hope you all have a great trip.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  5. stollydriver

stollydriver Elite Member

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    Have you reset the sat nav? If so - the main fail point is battery - available on eBay and simple fit. Hope this helps

6. Hippo-Drones

Hippo-Drones Noble Member

Mar 4, 2018
    West Sussex
    I use my phone as a satnav, works a treat.

This is the mount I use:

I have also fitted an Optimate USB power supply too so I can charge the phone when riding.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    Thanks the TTR has a USB port under the seat, so only 10 inches or so from tank bag, so phone will keep charge whilst riding

• Like Like x 1
  8. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Although I have a Garmin hard wired on the Tiger, I still use google maps on my phone as a satnav on the Bonneville.
    Cheap Aldi Bluetooth headset, leave phone in pocket and just listen to the directions.
    Waze is a useful free download as an alternative to google maps.

9. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    I used the ultimate addons case and mount on my thruxton 900 with a planner called sygic which used to link up to MyRoute-app which was good but it doesn’t seem to link to MyRoute-app any more so you can’t plan your routes on the pc and send it to sygic anymore, you have to do it on the phone which can be a bit fiddly

10. Sir Trev

Sir Trev Senior Member

May 27, 2017
    Buckinghamshire
    Map apps use a surprisingly small amount of data so if you don't use co-pilot or similar as long as you can get a power supply to the phone or you have a good/well charged battery you'll be fine. Since getting my TomTom I have replaced my handset and tariff - I use nowhere near the 4GB of monthly data allowance so may well go the phone route if my TT gives up now.