America Saddlebags

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by ahayward, Feb 6, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ahayward

ahayward New Member

Feb 6, 2021
    West Coast NZ
    Hi.
    Any advise on what are excellent saddlebags for a 2010 America.
    Cheers

2. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    If you can find a factory set they're good...but rare. I also used a pair of Held Denver panniers at one time. They worked quite well.

3. ahayward

ahayward New Member

Feb 6, 2021
    West Coast NZ
    Thanks heaps

4. Fork Lock

Fork Lock Elite Member

Feb 5, 2021
    South Jersey, The 51st State
    OK, a little long-winded here. Apologies in advance, but I solved my saddlebag quandry.

This is on my new 2018 Speedmaster. I don't see why this wouldn't work for the America (nice machines, BTW).

I searched high and low for bags. Most were WAY over the top expensive!

Also, you had to buy the metal braces for them as well. They too were expensive.

I ended up with Saddleman "Highwayman" throw overs. $113 U.S. They are not leather. They are made of Saddleman's proprietary material "SaddleHyde." They really do look and feel like leather - honest. I contacted Saddleman and asked if they were waterproof. I was told they were "Water resistant" and much more so than leather.

Now, a couple things. The passenger pillion on the Speedmaster is a separate piece. I know the America has a one-piece seat. I had to Dremel out the hole on the front metal tab of the pillion a tad and bend it down a bit to get the bolt back in. The yoke between the bags lifted the pillion a little. Also, they give you what are basically shoe laces to tie the two halves of the yoke together and secure the bottoms of the bags to the frame through a little nylon loop. I used zip ties for both. After a couple weeks I noticed the holes in the yoke were stretching where the halves of the yoke were zip tied. I marked where the halves came together and took the bags to a local leather shop and had them stitch the halves together - problem solved. The zip ties holding the bags to the frame are OK. I found I didn't need the metal braces for the bags. The Speedmaster has a little red reflector on either side and they hold the bags away from the chain guard and brake parts nicely. The bags look good and work well.

Bags.PNG