1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Ok, so once I’d let the traffic go I got a nice bit of the road to myself to enjoy the bends by the side of Loch Lomond. Next was the A83 leading to the A814 down the side of Loch Long.
    80FBA65F-5337-431D-8FB4-EA62F569D117.jpeg
    The road surface was a bit rutted to start with and it was up and down like a roller coaster, I reckon if I’d had Mrs YM on the back she’d have needed sea sick pills. But after a few miles the surface improved and the road was nice and twisty. It goes all the way down to Gareloch and passes Faslane, the naval base that used to house nuclear submarines, it may still do but its now sign posted as HMNB Clyde and has a massive security fence along the roadside so there wasn’t any chance of a photo, not that I could see anything significant moored up so I continued to Helensburgh for lunch, well a late breakfast actually cos I arrived at 11.30 and they were still on breakfast menu. 4FEC61E2-0F51-496F-8BA9-0BCF3A9688B4.jpeg
    Like the naval base there’s no pic of the food but this was the view, bottom of Gareloch where it meets the river Clyde , the Beachcomber cafe Bar.
    Then I kind of retraced the route I took northwards and went towards Kilmarnock, for not much more reason than to stay off the motorway and passed this place in Mauchline.
    AD384D06-D5E4-41F5-AE22-C83C6812B81D.jpeg
    The little white sign states the tower was built as a memorial to Robert Burns, the poet and the building is just so typically Scottish in its style.
    And that’s about it folks, not much else to say and no more pics. I’m breaking the journey up with an overnight stop in a hotel near Lockerbie. The highlight, well I’d say the run back from Skye on the A87 yesterday has to be it. I reckon it was one of the best days biking I’ve ever had, even putting the track day I did on Phillip Island into second place. Great road surface, fab weather, awesome scenery it just doesn’t get better than that.
    I hope you’ve enjoyed reading about my little tour as much as I’ve enjoyed riding it, I’ve been blessed with the weather and couldn’t have had it any better. Just a few miles back down through the lakes tomorrow and me own bed. So til the next time this has been the Missen, oh fuck, I did it again. :D
    Cheers, Andy the Yorkshireman :cool::cool:

• Like Like x 13
  2. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    This is what you need for midges mate ;)
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008PBY...l1?_encoding=UTF8&aod=1&qid=1458391033&sr=1-4
    610ssNzVAJL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Yorkshireman

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Having spent time in the jungle and many northern woodlines and open areas I would definitely say the Avon stuff is way better for any future trips up that way but if that works for you then all good :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Great stuff, I enjoyed reading your reports!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Yorkshireman

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Always willing to look at alternatives, thanks for your suggestion.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    What a brilliant write-up and gorgeous photos, Yorkshireman. Thanks for taking the time to share your trip with us in words and pictures.. I definitely enjoyed the thread. And it's great that you'd rank this tour as among the best biking days you've ever had! :grinning::heart_eyes:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    Some great roads to be ridden North of the border. :grinning:

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    That reminds me of a Johnny 7 toy gun I always wanted when I was a kid but never got one as they were quite expensive. A kid a few doors up from us had one and I often thought about nicking it!

https://www.doyouremember.co.uk/memory/johnny-seven-gun

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Smilinjack

Smilinjack Guest

Good work Andy, looks like the weather held pretty good so the rest just follows. Glad you had a good trip.

thumbs.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  11. Yorkshireman

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Cheers Alan, I got really lucky with the weather, just a bit of very light drizzle between Ilkley and Skipton on the A65.
    Hoping to get another one in, maybe Wales next time. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1