Rusty Wheels.

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Cupoftea, Mar 21, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Cupoftea

Cupoftea Noble Member

Dec 16, 2018
    NEW FOREST
    T120 1 year old with 2300 miles.
    Decided to tackle the tyre change.
    Once I removed the front, I noticed that rust is already forming inside the rim.
    Cleaned off rust and treated with rust converter, hope that staves off the problem.

2. Wishbone

Wishbone First Class Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    yup found the same on mine when I put on new tyres, hopefully with the Chinese virus we might start making parts in the UK again!!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Cupoftea

Cupoftea Noble Member

Dec 16, 2018
    NEW FOREST
    One can only hope.

4. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    The only answer is stainless rims and bin the oem

5. Wishbone

Wishbone First Class Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    Or go tubeless and fill with Nitrogen?

6. Cupoftea

Cupoftea Noble Member

Dec 16, 2018
    NEW FOREST
    I might go alloy later if nessercary.

7. Cupoftea

Cupoftea Noble Member

Dec 16, 2018
    NEW FOREST
    Well second day, removed and fitted the rear. I wish they made a tube style Avon 3d as they are a bugger to fit. Worse was trying to remove the plastic phantom tyre, I nearly gave up.
    I've got a bead brake but it was in a box at the back of the garage, so hauled out the unit from its box just the brake the bead. Couldn't have done it without it.
    New rear sprocket on with 2 more added teeth, see how she goes in the morning.

8. FatLadsRacing

FatLadsRacing Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2019
    South Shields, England
    Just had my wheels made tubeless by a company in Birmingham. They forgot to take pics of the work as pretty busy so not sure re any rust. The T120 is only 5 months/450 miles old. Now fitted with Metzler Roadtec 01 tyres. What a difference to the shit Phantoms. The improvement is huge and now with added bonus of being tubeless.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  9. Cupoftea

Cupoftea Noble Member

Dec 16, 2018
    NEW FOREST
    That's good, My africa twin has now tubeless wheels. Thinking of getting wheels powder coated black with stainless spokes later. Then make them tubeless. Who was the company you used?

10. FatLadsRacing

FatLadsRacing Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2019
    South Shields, England
    Company is Central Wheel Components in Coleshill, Birmingham. A well established company with a good reputation. They wrap the wheel then vulcanise it to make the seal strong. All bearings, discs etc have to be removed due to going in the oven. Found them good to deal with and cost was £120 per wheel. Takes up to 3 weeks for the job.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    That’s interesting

12. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Such a shame for this to happen on a relatively new bike.

Unfortunately your not the first to have this problem over the last few years especially on the new T120.

Triumph need to get their act together around build quality issues, stop turning a blind eye and accept some responsibility.

13. Cupoftea

Cupoftea Noble Member

Dec 16, 2018
    NEW FOREST
    This is the front wheel showing the start of the rust T120 front rim.jpg

• WTF WTF x 1
  14. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    To me that’s bad for a 1 year old bike.

Triumph would probably say it’s down to a poor cleaning regime by the owner :confused:

15. Cupoftea

Cupoftea Noble Member

Dec 16, 2018
    NEW FOREST
    I've now treated the rim but its only done 2300 miles, I only changed the tyres as I found the Phantoms were shite.

16. Cupoftea

Cupoftea Noble Member

Dec 16, 2018
    NEW FOREST
    I've finally left work so no more riding but having changed the tyres and rear sprocket has transformed the ride. Gearing is much better with no longer having an overdrive type 6th.
    Handling is very sure footed with good turn into corners. Wish the Triumph company done this from new?

17. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    I’d send those pictures to your dealer and Triumph but I wouldn’t be hopeful of a sympathetic ear.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Cupoftea

Cupoftea Noble Member

Dec 16, 2018
    NEW FOREST
    I did that this morning, but I'm friends with the director so he will be honest with me with his answer.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Cupoftea

Cupoftea Noble Member

Dec 16, 2018
    NEW FOREST
    Just got a reply, he has placed the warranty query to the warranty team but may take a while considering the climate.

• Like Like x 3