Sprint GT Running Voltage

Discussion in 'Sprint & Trophy' started by Aidan, Aug 19, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Essex
    Went for a run out on my Sprint GT (2016) the other day and connected the trickle charger when I got back home. Took ages to go from red to green, which seemed to imply that the battery voltage was low. Anyway, couldn't do anything until next day (charger now green). Battery voltage healthy - started bike and ran to 3000rpm and was getting 13.8V. According to manual, this is ok as should be between 13.5 and 14.something. However, it looks on the low side to me. My old Aprilia used to get over 14V when running (with Italian electronics!). I'm no electric expert, so just wanted some advice. Does it matter if it's "just" over 13.5V? Are more volts good anyway?

Thanks in advance.

2. Triumphal385

Triumphal385 Active Member

Mar 23, 2020
    South East
    My 2005 Sprint ST, typically runs at 14.4V. Heated grips on it, draw 3.87A when active. LED lamps all round for minimal draw. Other accessories such as SatNav, phone, dash cams, Alarm, are minimal draw. The bike should readily take 10A, and a strong alternator output, I believe, is around 14-14.5V.

I routinely plug in an Oxford Optimate 9000 trickle charger. Typically at plug in, shows 13.8V and 0.88A, then maintain at 12.8V, 0A.
    I wouldn’t be worried about 13.5V output, especially if the bike is used on short runs, eg commute.

Hope that helps.

• Like Like x 1