Sprint Rs Diy Full Service

Discussion in 'Sprint & Trophy' started by JohnRS00, Oct 27, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. JohnRS00

JohnRS00 New Member

Oct 27, 2022
    Fleet, Hampshire
    Hi,
    My Sprint RS (2000) has been a bit neglected on the servicing front for the past few years, so I thought I'd give it a full service (Oil, Air, Fuel, Brake Fluid and seals, Coolant, Fork Oil, Valve Clearances, check and grease all the bearings, etc, etc).

Anyone got any good full service tips?

I'm also wondering whether, whilst doing the fork oil (which hasn't been done for at least 10 years), would it be worth upgrading the standard fork springs to progressive springs, or is just doing the oil sufficient (I'm not a particularly aggresive / fast rider) - I am about 11 stone - dry weight (without helmet, boots, leathers, etc!!!!)
    Thanks,
    John

2. Geoff Butler

Geoff Butler Never too old for Biking!

Apr 5, 2021
    Hampshire & Powys
    Hi John and welcome!

I do all of my own servicing but do steer clear of the major service items such as valve clearances and cam chains these days. I can’t think of any specific tips, other than to get a Haynes manual and to be slow and methodical. Fork oil and upgrade wise, I would personally only upgrade the springs if you are unhappy with the suspension.

My Daytona is a similar age and I recently put it back on the road after 5 years, which included most of the service items you mentioned. The fuel filter was the biggest ball ache because of the full tank strip down but it was definitely needed and quite satisfying! I also stripped my brake callipers and fitted new seals, buckets, bleed nipples, braided hoses and pads.

Cheers

Geoff

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Essex
    well worth buying the official Sprint workshop manual. There was a chap selling them as pdfs on fleabay a while back. About £12 I think.

• Like Like x 3
  4. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Hi and welcome to the forum :cool:

Sounds like a good plan - get the Haynes manual to work from at least.

5. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Hi JohnRS00, I have a genuine Triumph workshop manual, I can let you have it for £10 plus the postage, alternatively I can photocopy the entire manual for £5 just to cover paper and ink plus postage, let me know if you are interested.

6. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    If the fork oil has been in that long a strip and clean of the forks is advisable rather than just an oil change. Progressive fork springs can be an improvement depending on how good/poor the standard springs are. Also playing around with different oil weights to alter damping characteristics can be worth while but make one change at a time. Engine service is just basic stuff really. I'm not that familiar with the model but I'm guessing there's very little, if any electronics or servicing that needs dealer attention and special tools.

7. JohnRS00

JohnRS00 New Member

Oct 27, 2022
    Fleet, Hampshire
    Thanks Steve, I do have a copy of the Haynes manual - it came ini handy when replacing the fuel filter and fuel pump gasket.

8. JohnRS00

JohnRS00 New Member

Oct 27, 2022
    Fleet, Hampshire
    Thanks, I have the Haynes manual - is it much better than that? If so, I think the £5 for a photocopied version would be best.

9. JohnRS00

JohnRS00 New Member

Oct 27, 2022
    Fleet, Hampshire
    Thanks, I have also done the jobs you mentioned (fuel filter and brake callipers) in the past, I know wht you mean about the fuel filter! Bleeding the brakes was a bit tricky too.
    I do find the front suspension a bit 'bouncy', but that might just be because the oil is really old and in need of renewal - does the new oil make a big difference?

10. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Hi, it is significantly better than the Haynes manual, it covers a huge amount that the Haynes does not, it is large and heavy though. I also have lots of spares in great condition, I will upload some photos for you to have a look at, or anyone else that may be interested.

11. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    RS parts for sale for the single sided swing arm model, £120 for everything in both pictures, the additional link pipe is for a CBR600F.

thumbnail_IMG_0790.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0792.jpg