Speedmaster Rpms 2018-2020 Bonneville Speedmaster

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by Traveller, May 26, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Traveller

Traveller Active Member

Mar 16, 2020
    New Jersey
    For all of the Bonneville Speedmaster owners out there.

I have never had a tac before and always played it by ear. It seems to me that the 1200 Speedmaster runs fine between 2500 and 3500 RPMs but I am not sure if I need to wind it out a bit more or take it down a bit. In traffic or side roads I stay a little over 3000 RPMs and about 2300-2500 RPMs on the highway.

I guess any newer 1200 Triumph would be about the same thing.

So questions for all of you.
    On the digital tac where is red line?
    Where are you shifting?
    Is there any actual guidance from Triumph on where to shift? I did not see anything in the owners manual.

Thanks
    Bron

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Dexter

Dexter Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2020
    Colorado
    You need to wind that bad boy up! You're missing a lot of fun if you're shifting at 3500. I crank mine into the low or mid 5s. Not every time, of course it depends on how you are riding at a particular time.

I do love how it pulls from the 2000s. I begrudgingly traded my 2500 HD Duramax Diesel pickup last year and am now in a 6.2L gas motor for my pickup, I am more a low end torque guy than a high revving horsepower guy, so the Triumph HT motor serves me well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Traveller

Traveller Active Member

Mar 16, 2020
    New Jersey
    I do wind it out, I was talking more about cruising speeds.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Dexter

Dexter Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2020
    Colorado
    Sorry if I misunderstood. I cruise on the low end at 2500 RPM, and maybe 3100 on the high end. I never let the bike chug at too low of RPM.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Jacknzone

Jacknzone Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2020
    Christchurch NZ
    I change down around 1900 to 2300 rpm change up around 3000 rpm mark and every now and then around 4000 rpm, top gear at 4200 rpm is a good ride
    I have been told that red line is around 6000 rpm but not sure if this is correct and don't know what happen where it get to red lines if there is any indication that you hit redline hopefully it not a big bang sound !! , to scared to try :scream: When I first got the bike I could not get a smooth gear shift in third till I was told to keep two fingers on the grip and use the other two to pull the clutch in .

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Wishbone

Wishbone First Class Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    Not near my T120 at moment but seem to remember red line is around 6250-6500, but I put on a 39t rear sprocket so road speeds have moved a bit ina good way:cool:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    The owners manual says "Never allow the engine speed above the maximum recommended engine speed (7,000 rpm) as severe engine damage may result"

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. BonnieCat

BonnieCat Crème de la Crème

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    Sorry can’t help there. I have a Speedmaster but never use the rev counter. I have the display either on trip or odo. I just change gear by the feel and sound of the engine. I never rev it to the limit nor chug in too a high gear.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Jacknzone

Jacknzone Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2020
    Christchurch NZ
    That's good to know brown mouse 7000rpm well I don't think my speedmaster will ever get that high in the rev range I have only ever got it up to 4500rpm in top gear and changing up only occasionally over 4000rpm It's a cruiser not a sports bike cheers

• Like Like x 2