Royal Enfields From India, Anyone Had One? Any Good?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by MartyWilson, Jul 18, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MartyWilson

MartyWilson Guest

Thanks for the thoughts on it. I must admit I have been wondering whether I did the right thing, especially given what folks have said about Superbikefactory but I think I'll be alright as I think the pictures and all the add-ons suggest a bike that has been well treated and cared for. I do think I will be taking the screen off it @Alatamoc although I don't know if I will want to sell it right away as I might see if it fits my 2014 Bonnie and whether it is any use for the sake of comfort. I've never actually ridden a bike with that kind of screen before so I have no idea what they are like to ride with. I don't even know what they cost/are worth.

Can I ask if you know why it seems to be a 'thing' to re-locate the reg/rectifier on Bonnies? It does seem to be in a rather odd place but I wouldn't have thought that it would actually impair it's function.

2. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    I'm not sure why folks relocate the reg/ rec

3. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    Woops... accidentally pressed send there
    I think it may be for cosmetic reasons ( though am not sure...someone may know better.)
    In the sixties/ seventies many triumphs sported a zenner diode on the lower fork yoke...that was necessary as these really needed to be kept as cool as possible.
    Maybe people like the look?
    I have never had a problem with rectifier regs on any of my 4 previous Bonneville bikes.
    On my Tiger 955i I can maybe understand...reg/ rec failure is both known and expensive to fix...but the cure, as on my own one, is to do what's known as a Sasquatch conversion to the wiring which obviates the design fault
    ( But I digress here...sorry)
    I understand about the screen.
    Al

• Like Like x 2
  4. MartyWilson

MartyWilson Guest

A Sasquatch conversion? That sounds a wee bitty strange :)

I had hoped that reg/rectifier problems would have been sorted out by these days. Every Suzuki GSX I ever owned or knew of had duff Reg/Rectifiers that burnt out and took the alternator stators with them. Luckily my friendly breaker back in those days (Tam's Brig Breakers in Ayr who I think are now long gone) had plenty of the 'go-to' replacement Honda Superdream one's on hand for me. I am a little puzzled by so many people talking about 'Optimates' and battery problems as well as I never suffered battery problems back then and a dead battery didn't kill anything else as far as I can recall.

5. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    Tams in Ayr.
    Never used him....my mother lived in Largs so I was up there a lot till she died a few years back.
    I don't think Bonnevilles have undue reg/ rec issues.
    Tigers do to an extent....the Sasquatch is a moderate wiring reroute devised by someone on one of the forums...it gives peace of mind.
    My friend with standard wiring on his Tiger 955i is on his third reg/ rec at 60k miles....2nd stator too.
    I wonder if the early 790 Bonnie's had the reg/ rec in the front lower yoke as standard?...they all seem to sport this...it seems to have moved for the later versions.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
  7. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    I was not to frighten Marty with that one!
    Fortunately it's a rare occurrence and for the mechanically inclined TTP Safestart is a cure.
    To be honest I've had Bonnevilles for 10 years an am an active participant on the Bonneville America forum...I've come across maybe half a dozen failures in all that time.
    Just keep the battery healthy and there shouldn't be any problems.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    #168 Tiglet, Aug 5, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    Marty you should have put a shout out on the forum and I could have gone across to Mac(20 Miles)and given the bike a quick once over for you.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Don the Don

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    #169 Don the Don, Aug 5, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    Was not intended to frighten just prevention, many of us have fitted it "For peace of mind" as I said each to their own roulette is not a game I won't to play with my bike. less than £100 for the safestart
    and below a rough guide for the crankcase not including any other parts, but as you say it may not happen.

https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/view/T1160186

• Like Like x 1
  10. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    Of course...and if I owned an early crankcase model I'd fit a Safestart kit too.
    I think all I wished to do was put the risk in perspective...it's awful if it happens but fortunately very rare that it does.
    Unlike Metternich's upbeat assessment of the state of the Austro-Hungarian Empire
    "The situation is hopeless but fortunately not serious."

• Like Like x 1
  11. MartyWilson

MartyWilson Guest

I wasn't aware of this 'idler boss' business. That is a little worrying and I am surprised that, according to the TTP page on their fix, it applies to bikes from 2001-2016. I'm amazed that Triumph didn't take care of this themselves even if it was only an outside possibility.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    They did fix it...from 06/7 onwards the crankcase was strengthened....you can tell by looking at the left side crankcase breather pipe..the strengthened ones have a box like protrusion...the older ones just have the breather pipe exiting the case.
    TTP say the new setup can fail too ... I've never, ever heard of one doing so.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Don the Don

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
  14. MartyWilson

MartyWilson Guest

Very kind of you @Tiglet It was very much a spur of the moment thing. I had inquired about the bike via email and was unexpectedly phoned back. Having prevaricated for some time as evidenced by this very thread, I just suddenly decided to jump on the spot or I would have continued to hem and haw until someone else bought it and then cursed myself.

• Like Like x 3
  15. MartyWilson

MartyWilson Guest

I have now logged in to the Superbike Factory 'Garage' and I have to say the have been honest about the bike. In the page where you agree to buy there are a good number of photo's of 'problem areas' on the bike and they have been thorough. There are six, yes six! photos of the Givi hard panniers in close up showing the scuffs on them. They have clearly been well used but, of course, they weren't necessarily new when they were attached to this bike. The other details are close ups of some form of crazing or scratching in the chrome of the back of the mirrors and some scratching to the tank and front mudguard. They also provided details showing that a new reg/rec and Battery have been fitted (apparently ordered on the 31st so well before I did the deal) and she is currently at the MOT testing station. The buggers at Bear Scotland better get the Rest and Be Thankful cleared and re-opened shortly as she might be coming my way sooner than I expected and I don't want any delays!

So far and fingers crossed my experience with Superbike Factory is going better than I expected given gen gathered previously about them. Yes their inventory isn't perfect but they seem to have been very honest about everything so far and considering that she cost a lot less than my other 2001 Bonnie I think she is still very much a bargain.

• Like Like x 3
  16. MartyWilson

MartyWilson Guest

OK now I am looking at suitable tyres. I am thinking that Mitas E07+ look like an interesting option but apart from anything else I need to find out something that perhaps someone here can enlighten me about. Never having dealt with trail tyres before and, in particular, these heavy walled types, are they easy enough to put on yourself with a pair of decent levers? I've done tyres for myself and friends back in the past without problem including for Fireblades, R1's and GSXR's but never these types. DIY or do I take me wheels to a tyre fitting place?

17. Don the Don

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    They take a bit more effort to fit but can be done, I fit my own to my Transalp, Lube is the answer well lubricate the bead and away you go, if you don't feel confident then take them in to be fitted

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. MartyWilson

MartyWilson Guest

I'm all for having a bash at it just wondered if they might be too tough. I prefer putting/taking my own tyres off/on rather than having to drag the wheels away for a two hour return journey to pay someone else to do them and possibly wreck my rims at the same time. Got all the neccessary gear - Compressor, levers, guards and muskles so no excuse really.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Don the Don

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    Aye go for it Marty, be good practice if you get a puncture out in the sticks:D

• Like Like x 2
  20. MartyWilson

MartyWilson Guest

Hey I just realised that, with this thread and my final decision I have literally dodged a bullet that almost had my name on it! :rolleyes:

On the subject of those disintegrating bosses - Any idea just how high a percentage suffered it? At a £100 it seems like an expensive little lump of alloy and, having three Bonnies that's triple the pain. Searching the internet I could only fine two cases actually detailed. It's certainly not mentioned in the articles I found on the lines of "Five problems to know about Bonnevilles'. Reg/Rectifiers, alternators and batteries seem to be the favourite sources of faults.

• Like Like x 1