Featured Touring Round The North Coast Days 3-4

Discussion in 'Rideouts, Trackdays, Touring & Spotted' started by crispey, May 10, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Day 3

View attachment 16560

We took the A836 out of Bettyhill heading for Dunndonnel

first port of call on the A838 was to see the Smoo Cave near Durness, quite impressive but view from the top of the cliffs was spectacular

DSC_4224.JPG DSC_4274.JPG

On from there on the A838 to Laxford Bridge where we turned right onto the A894 towards Scourie and on to Unapool.
    IMG_2623.jpg

Coming out of Unapool we were recommended to take the B869 around the coast to Lochniver via Stoer to Ullapool, I would not recommend this on a bike the road is full of short steep hills with sharp bends making it difficult to see whats coming, vehicles or road, very narrow, even bikes would need to use the passing places and at these the tarmac finishes so there is a 2" lip that takes you onto gravel so could take you by surprise. It was dead quiet when we were there but in the summer it must be a nightmare, very spectacular though. It was a long drive to Dundonnell but well worth it.
    IMG_2624.jpg

Day 4

Dundonnell to Tomich

day4.JPG

Off round the coast on the A832 heading back to Lochness via Gairloch and Applecross. All spectacular again but Places of note here are Loch Maree on the A832, which we happened to hit on a perfectly still morning, turning right onto the A896 at Kinlochewe takes you down a spectacular valley.
    18194632_10155189047344795_1897453354823648351_n.jpg IMG_2631.jpg
    When you get through Sheildeg there's a right turn which takes you on the little road to Applecross. After the first couple of miles the road gets easier and opens up to some spectacular views across the lochs and along the coast. Just take a look on google maps satellite and you'll see what I mean.

DSC_4449.JPG even the coos have handle bars!

After a while you get to Applecross and you have to stop for something to eat and drink, it was fairly busy so I can't imagine what it'd be like in the summer. Coming out of Applecross takes you on a road that gently rises to the pass and it was when I got to the top I realised why people go clockwise, The road down is alpine-esk, It would be a nightmare on a bike, so breathtaking though!
    IMG_2641.jpg
    IMG_2645.jpg seroiusly there was a guy cycling up this and he wasnt even panting, further down we passed a guy running up!!

Out of the pass we joined the A896 again and headed to the A87 via the A 890

taking a gander at Eileen Donan Castle. driving alongside Lochs, through forests of pines in amongst majestic hills and mountains the whole experience was something I am glad I did, probably better in a car, as a first time, than on bike, not for the weather but the fact its so spectacular the amount of times we stopped to take photos would have been so time consuming on the bike we would probably be up there still.

This write up does not do the place justice, I could have gone on for pages but the best thing is go yourself, I probably wouldn't have done it but my wife who was born and raised in africa, worked as an air stewardess and has taken many holidays round the world had never been to Scotland so I decided what better area to show her.

DSC_4224.JPG

DSC_4274.JPG

IMG_2623.jpg

IMG_2624.jpg

18194632_10155189047344795_1897453354823648351_n.jpg

IMG_2631.jpg

DSC_4449.JPG

IMG_2641.jpg

IMG_2645.jpg

• Like Like x 16
  2. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    I have taken 300 photos of about 70 locations and then there were those I didn't take cos of the blizzard blocking the view

• Like Like x 2
  3. Bel

Bel New Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Edinburgh
    Fantastic! We did it from Friday to Monday the last weekend. We did it from east to west over the top. Lovely weather and it's a great route.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    good work Crispey, some lovely photos .

• Like Like x 1
  5. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Excellent, excellent trip report there Crispey. Almost felt like I was there. Sounds like you had a really time.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Lewie

Lewie New Member

Sep 3, 2014
    Looks very interesting bud there are 4 of us doing this in a months time . Took advice on board were travelling from Gloucestershire and have about a week to explore. Great photos

• Like Like x 1