Rough Running, Cutting Out

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Luckett, Sep 10, 2023.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Luckett

Luckett New Member

Sep 10, 2023
    Uk
    Hello, recently brought a triumph thunderbird 900 03. It’s ran fine for a few months if not a little rough once first started, but today it started running lumpy and seem to get really hot, it was then struggling to idle and cut out and wouldn’t restart. Left if for about 10 minutes it restarted ran fine for another mile or so managed to limp it home, relatively new to motorcycles so not quite sure where to start diagnosing this problem, any help appreciated.

thanks.

2. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    Bad fuel, add E5 fuel and redex or similar. Blockage, tank, filters carbs, air lock try running with cap open. Choke sticking. Blocked air filter. Is one cylinder not firing, to find which, I use a damp cloth and carefully touch the exhaust near the top, no sizzle- no fire.
    Try the simple stuff first before ripping things apart or buying new parts.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Luckett

Luckett New Member

Sep 10, 2023
    Uk
    Thanks, will give that a go.

4. Luckett

Luckett New Member

Sep 10, 2023
    Uk
    so been in the garage today, managed to rule out the air filter and the choke sticking. It’s now developed a bit of a misfire on cylinder one. Will get some fresh fuel tomorrow and some redex, will also check the spark plugs.

5. Wishbone

Wishbone First Class Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    Don't discount a coil issue but try fuel first as its a bit cheaper to fix

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Luckett

Luckett New Member

Sep 10, 2023
    Uk
    The fuel doesn’t seem to have fixed the issue, will try coils next. Where’s the best place to get parts from?. Thanks for the help.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Wishbone

Wishbone First Class Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
  8. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    I'd say coils or ignition pickup. I personally have had a lot of ignition coil failures on these bikes.
    ...J.D.

• Like Like x 1
  9. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    Sprint Manufacturing for coils,
    triumphparts.co.uk.
    Could the ht leads be damp, try wd40 first

10. Luckett

Luckett New Member

Sep 10, 2023
    Uk
    Thanks for all the help guys, fired it up today ran fine for about 10 minutes then died and wouldn’t restart. So have ordered new coils fingers crossed that sorts it. It was also started making a tapping noise coming from the left hand exhaust.

starting to feeling like Iv made a mistake buying this bike haha.

11. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    Sounds almost certainly to be crank pick up coil. If you are looking for coils i make up Plug n Play stick coil conversion kits.

20230806_202403.jpg

12. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    Sounds almost certainly to be crank pick up coil. If you are looking for coils i make up Plug n Play stick coil conversion kits.