Trackdays Ron Haslam - Announcement

Discussion in 'Rideouts, Trackdays, Touring & Spotted' started by Bad Billy, Jul 15, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Saw this on the Ron Haslam Race School FB page today, what a shame, I have done 2 of his schools in the past & benefited greatly from them, met Ron at both of the ones I did, will see if I can find the photos later, shame that it's the end of an era :sob:

Ron Haslam.png

• Agree Agree x 5
  2. Octoberon

Octoberon Crème de la Crème

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    It is a shame. I've always wanted to have a go at Ron's race school. A lesson there about nothing lasting forever.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    If you are quick there are going to be a few more this year .....

4. Doc Strange

Doc Strange Senior Member

Aug 8, 2019
    UK
    That is a shame - really enjoyed my day with them a few years ago at Donny.

Still tell the tale of the instructor telling me 'You know what to do, you've just got to want to go faster'! Thought if there is a little safety switch in my head keeping me safe, I ain't going to start messing with it now :)

Would defo recommend if anyone can squeeze a day in before they finish.

DS

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    The first one I did was the best, there was an odd number of riders, I ended up with one to one instruction with a British Supersport rider from South Africa, I think he was called Johnny Eckarald.
    What a day, he gave me some valuable advise on braking later, harder & all the way into the apex & told me to stop fecking about coasting into corners, "you should be off the gas, on the brakes, off the brakes then straight on the gas ....no delay!" o_O:worried::eek::scream:

I felt like I was second in a race following him round as we passed just about everyone else on the track! :):cool:

RH.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  6. Doc Strange

Doc Strange Senior Member

Aug 8, 2019
    UK
    #6 Doc Strange, Jul 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    And there's me thinking I should get all my braking done in a straight line before I enter the corner!

DS

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Not if you want to be fast mate! I am still trying to perfect this now!

The squeeze, pull, release method works for me, squeeze (loads front tyre up so it grips) at your braking marker, then pull hard on the lever all the way into the apex where as you gently release the lever as you are getting back on the gas at the same time. You will also hear this referred to as trail braking by some racers, but I always think of trail braking as dragging the back brake into the corner in order to try & tighten your line.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Sometimes even the best get it wrong as well as your Deliveroo delivery lad!

93.jpg

• Funny Funny x 5
  9. El barto

El barto Member

Jul 13, 2020
    Nottinghamshire
    Probably something to do with msv now owning donington,agreed great half day if anyone gets a chance to jump on one if they get a chance before it ends

16467B1F-F2D0-4F5C-B3EA-94D3864D8E4C.jpeg

• Like Like x 5