Rider Report Avon Storm 3d On T100 Bonni

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Gear1, Apr 21, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Gear1

Gear1 New Member

Over the winter I installed the Avon Storm 3D tires on my 2018 T100 Bonneville. Avon do not make an OEM size tire for the front, so I installed a 110-80-18 tire on the front. It is 10mm wider than the original Pirelli bias ply tire, but the same diameter. I now have about 100 miles on the tires, and am duly impressed:

1. Virtually no "walking" over grooves and tar strips. I would suspect that the front tire radial construction is the reason for this.

2.. Less than 1/64" runout of the tread, where the Pirellis were about 1/16" runout.

3. The resonant bouncing of the Pirelli front (with perfectly balanced tires) at about 48 mph has virtually disappeared; Probably due to the minimal runout.

4. I have not reached the "lean Limit" pegs on the footrest yet, but the cornering is much more confidence-inspiring. At about 45-50 degree lean angle the Pirellis exhibited significant "squirm" which did not inspire confidence. The Avon tires simply grip and go around the corners. I intend to explore more lean, but I'm a bit cautious.

In short, I would highly recommend the Avon Storm 3D tires. Of course, it will take some time to determine the mileage life of the tires, but frankly, I am not concerned with tire life. I'm more interested in ride-ability and capability of the tires.

Hope this is helpful.

Craig

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Geoff Butler

Geoff Butler Never too old for Biking!

Apr 5, 2021
    Hampshire & Powys
    Hi Craig,

I fitted new Avon Roadrider MkII Tyres on my 2017 Street Cup this time last year with similar pleasing results. It seems that the factory fitted Pirelli Phantom tyres deteriorate after a few thousand miles and some say this behaviour depends on where the tyres were manufactured.

Like you, my confidence in the bike has changed dramatically as a result and I would recommend that anyone having handling issues with the standard factory fitted Pirelli tyres should consider alternatives.

All the best

Geoff

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Octoberon

Octoberon Crème de la Crème

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    Great write-up on the tyres but I can't believe you didn't call the thread 'Rider on the Storm' :blush:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1