Featured Rickman Triumph Project

Discussion in 'Vintage Classics' started by Sundance, Dec 3, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sundance

Sundance Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2021
    Arlington, VA
    As I proceeded to put my primary together I noticed in the box of parts from the previous owner is an ELECTREX WORLD LTD, CDI IGNITION, STK-102D. So the PO was going to install this on the Rickman I believe. I am wondering who has any experience with these systems? The instructions say this can be run with or without a battery. It seems this unit does not need to have any part replaced in the timing/points cover, as the spark is generated from the rotor/stator, to the CDI, to the HT-2 coil to the plugs. I'd appreciate any comments on this type of system for my T120R, 1969, motor. Thanks.

IMG_4354.jpeg

2. Sundance

Aug 2, 2021
    Arlington, VA
    Some progress on my Rickman build. So I've got the bottom end finished and installed the engine in the frame. Waiting to put on the top end just because it makes installing it a bit easier with having to move the engine a bit for alignment. It took a lot of adjusting and filing and some drilling to get the engine mounts, engine plates, etc. to align properly with the frame. Also needed to pay attention to the rear hub/wheel for alignment. I'm using a BSA quick detach hub for the rear and am having to alter the center boss of the brake plate to get clearance for chain alignment. I finally received the axle from Adrian Moss at Rickman. The Royal Mail was hacked a couple of months ago so it took 2 months for the delivery to happen. There is a lot more fitting on this build than I first thought!

IMG_4422.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sundance

Aug 2, 2021
    Arlington, VA
    So . . . trouble with my rear wheel alignment. On my Rickman build I'm using a BSA QD crinkle hub. I've had an axle made to fit the Rickman swing arm. I am trying to get it all to fit and have the rear wheel centered. I had to machine off part of the rear brake plate to get the sprockets close to alignment. Now putting it all together it looks like the wheel does not center, it is too far to the right. I am wondering if I have the wrong rear sprocket, perhaps there is another that has a cut out and overlaps the brake drum a bit. If this were so, I could machine off a bit more of the brake plate. Or, I am wondering if the wheel was built improperly? The wheels with this frame I bought were not directly from Rickman. So I've built some bicycle wheels and know you have to offset the hubs a bit to make sure the sprockets line up. Perhaps this rear wheel was built without taking that into consideration? Or I may be missing something else. Thank you for comments!

IMG_4429.jpeg

IMG_4430.jpeg

IMG_4425.jpeg

IMG_4426.jpeg

IMG_4427.jpeg

4. Sundance

Aug 2, 2021
    Arlington, VA
    So I think I know the problem with the wheel not centering in the swingarm. I got in touch with the previous owner of the frame and wheels and found out he built the wheels. However I believe that when he built the rear wheel he centered it on the hub, but without the brake drum and brake plate attached (since this hub is a quick detachable hub and comes apart). So, remembering from my bicycle wheel building days, when I built a rear wheel, I had to build it so it centered on the hub including the freewheel (sprockets). Therefore, the left spokes are a bit shorter than the right side spokes, allowing for the rim to center on the entire rim and freewheel. So on this BSA hub wheel, that is not the case. You can see in the attached photo that the wheel is not centered to include the whole hub and sprocket. Anyway if any of you wheel experts can comment on building motorcycle wheels and the offset issue that would be appreciated. If this is the case, I may try to see if there is enough play in the spokes to adjust it to center the rim without needing to get another set of spokes and such. Cheers!

IMG_4431.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  5. Sundance

Aug 2, 2021
    Arlington, VA
    Rear Wheel Alignment fixed! So, I was able to get my rear wheel alignment fixed. It seems the PO of this project built the wheels, however as this is a BSA Quick Detach hub, I believe he built the wheel without the brake, sprocket and brake plate, so he built it without the proper offset for this swingarm. Fortunately I was able to move the rim over to the left enough, by tuning the spokes, to get it aligned properly and keeping the sprocket alignment with the engine sprocket. Thanks for all the advice on this issue!

IMG_4435.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  6. Sundance

Aug 2, 2021
    Arlington, VA
    Head and Cylinder Clearance Issue. So I thought after getting the rear wheel aligned I'd put the rest of the engine together. Got the pistons and cylinder on and was working on attaching the head and working out pushrod spacers . . . when I found that I have way to much clearance between the cylinder top and head!.

This head is a TR6 head that the PO purchased and had the valves done, etc., including as I look closer, having the top and bottom surfaced. I have the old style pushrod tubes and seals, and when putting this together with the smallest push rod washers on both top and bottom, I still get about 1/8 inch clearance between the head and cylinder, way to much to compress because I think I shold have about .030 clearance there including the copper gasket.

So I am not sure how to fix this. It would seem that what I need are shorter pushrod tubes.

I imagine someone out there has had this issue and I appreciate any help - again.

IMG_4452.jpeg

IMG_4449.jpeg

IMG_4439.jpeg

IMG_4451.jpeg

IMG_4450.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  7. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    • Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Sundance

Aug 2, 2021
    Arlington, VA
    Thanks Darkman! I think I'll be needing a thicker copper head gasket to fix the clearance on the skinned head. In another forum I was also referred to the same article - lots to consider. Thanks for the help!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sundance

Aug 2, 2021
    Arlington, VA
    Engine case numbering issue - so when I got this engine, T120R DU45678, I realized I had a 1967 engine. The primary cover was not on the machine but included in the parts. Now putting it together, The engine cover hex bolts that fit on the timing side do not fit on the primary side cover. I notice on the bottom of the cases that the primary side case has the numbers 433, and the timing side case has the number 926. So, I'm not sure where to find what these numbers refer to, but I am thinking that the timing side engine case might be from a different year, and different engine than the primary side case - thereby perhaps meaning the cover hex bolts are likely different thread types.

The hex bolts I have, and that fit on the timing side covers, are 20TPI, so since these don't fit on the primary cover, can I assume what I need here are the 26TPI bolts? Thanks for any comments. I didn't expect this issue!

• Like Like x 1
  10. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    You have an early primary case for 67 confirmed by the number and a 68 on timing case so both will have different threads. UNC 68 on and BSF pre 68 :)

11. Sundance

Aug 2, 2021
    Arlington, VA
    OK darkman, thanks that is a big help.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Sundance

Aug 2, 2021
    Arlington, VA
    OK darkman, thanks that is a big help.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Sundance

Aug 2, 2021
    Arlington, VA
    Any experience with Ceriani Forks out there? I have 35mm used Cerianis, but I can't seem to find a diagram for them to figure out how to take them apart and refurbish them. I know there are a couple of seals and one or two bushings that can be replaced. I find some diagrams but they don't look like mine. I can't seem to figure out how to get the damper out. I'm pretty sure it comes out from the bottom of the stanchion, and there is a bushing at the bottom of the stanchion preventing i
    t from dropping out. There is a snapring holding the bushing in, however the bushing is not coming out easily and it seems the only way to get it out would be to drive it out from the top with a long rod bearing on the top of the damper rod. Thanks for any help with this!

IMG_4480.jpeg

14. Sundance

Aug 2, 2021
    Arlington, VA
    I'm still moving forward on this project and wonder if any members know where I might get an exhaust system for this Rickman Mark 3, with a Triumph T120R 650 engine? I'd like to find one that will fit without alteration. Thanks.