Tiger 800 Review of Tiger 800 XRX

Discussion in 'Tiger / Explorer' started by thebiglad, Aug 9, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    #1 thebiglad, Aug 9, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
    Well here is my ride report of the July 2015 Tiger 800 XRX - with 200 kms on the clock. Revs limited to 5,000-ish!

If anyone is waiting for off-road comments, your wait is over - there aren't any !

First impressions:
    Riding position fitted me like a glove, better than the BM GS's I've had in the past. Light to manoeuvre when on the ground, agile when riding. Perfectly at ease even though it was a shitty wet day.

Too many buttons on the bars, but more of this later; Engine and gearbox are just absolute jewels; Suspension is firm but compliant, never crashy.

My thoughts about maybe looking at 1200 GS's as an alternative, are over.

As we go on:
    Engine is a real peach! Pulls smoothly in 6th gear from 2000rpm. At 90kms/hr (56mph) she's pulling 4000 rpms but very smooth. If you want to overtake at this speed just wind it on and she really flies, or drop a cog and she REALLY flies. Fuel consumption as shown on the dash computer was, throughout my test, averaging 4.5ltrs per 100kms (about 65mpg) and running at between 90 and 140kms/hr.

The noise it makes is not all shouty exhaust but more of a turbine smooth, mechanical-in-chocolate feel.

As you get to 5000rpm you feel you are just on the edge of something really great - and you are!!! I only took her up to about 6000 -ish rpm and scalded cats couldn't keep up.

The gearbox is new for the Tiger and comes from the Street Triple and feels like you are operating a Swiss watch - the best I've ever used.

Suspension - long-travel Showa units are fitted to this bike and all I can say is that I had no cause to ever think what the suspension was doing. On fast undulating A roads and bumpy B roads (all wet of course) she was an absolute definition of quiet, subtle control and comfort.

The riding position - excellent to do long days in the comfort saddle that comes as std.; I had mine on the lower position but was able to try the higher one when I got back to the supplier.

Bells and Whistles:
    If you like your bikes dripping with technology this one has it in spades. It would take too long to list it all here - all I will say is that it worked very intuitively, even though I felt slightly intimidated at first.

Overall:
    It felt like an awesomely competent sports/adventure bike that you would want to ride all day.

I've put my Bonny up for sale - I'm THAT impressed. Yes folks, I really want one.

PS Just remembered something negative. The bike I rode had a Triumph option larger, adjustable screen. Pants ! Absolute noisy pants and expensive. No matter how I adjusted it, it created loads of noisy turbulence.

• Like Like x 1
  2. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    I get loads of noisy turbulence in my pants sometimes ... seems to be affected by the food I eat!! :oops::eek:

Sorry, those damned voices in me head again! :mad: They just cannot resist!! o_O:D

• Like Like x 2
  3. roadtrip

roadtrip Member

Oct 27, 2014
    Scotland
    copied from my original post in the other thread!!

"NB your biggest problem will be sorting out the screen, entirely rider dependant but many change to aftermarket screen."

there are several options depending on you, your size, riding position etc. here are some of the favoured ones :
    - Madstad, you buy the size that fits you, costs a lot, noone ever regrets getting one (apparently)
    - Puig & Givi, generally well liked touring screens ... I have the Puig and like it, a good compromise of wind protection and still feeling like a naked motorcycle (I'm 6').
    - Powerbronze sports screen, a low cut screen that doesn't give so much protection, but does give you smooth air and no buffeting (apparently). Don't know about Powerbronze flipup screen.
    - a screen flap (eg. Puig, Wunderlich(?)) clamped to the top of the Triumph touring screen, the budget option, works for some people.

books have been written (almost) about screens for the Tiger800!!

• Like Like x 2
  4. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    So Big Lad, you bought it??

5. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Not yet Eric, but we are moving in that direction.

I was supposed to be testing an XCX today - the actual model I'm interested in - so I thought before I ride 120kms down to their place (Limoges Triumph) I'll just check to ensure they have an XCX NOT an XRX - surprise surprise they had an XRX ready !!! So that rendez-vous was cancelled. Wankers!!!!!

6. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    It's over my head all those x's. Have you priced it in the UK?
    How does it compare to the arrogant German mark??

• Like Like x 1
  7. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Eric,the X's thing isn't easy and I think that's why today's test went tits up. But I'm not going to spend 13,000€ before testing the EXACT model I'm thinking of buying.

TBH I'm thinking of buying a nearly new one from a private seller as I think there will be less bullshit. There's one for sale in Finistère, an XC with all the luggage and only 2500 mls. The bloke is on holiday right now so before I make a final decision I'll wait to see his and see what deal we can do.

Re buying in England - the rate of exchange £/€ makes the UK bikes more expensive plus there would be extra costs to register it over here so that's a no-go !

By comparison to the BM equivalent the XCX is about 1000€ cheaper, but no discount; so it depends on what sort of deal a BM dealer would offer?

Does the term 'money burning a hole in my pocket" mean anything to you?

8. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Burning away??? Think Yorkshire old lad!!!

9. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    You're right of course Eric.

York, The Shambles, The Racecourse, Yorvik, The Minster, etc etc etc

10. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Err, No! Short arms, long pockets. You've lived down south to long to remember habits! Heh heh

• Like Like x 1
  11. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
  12. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Dave, There was a 2015 reg xrx for £7500 on eBay today btw

13. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Whe
    Wheres the link??

14. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    I'm shite at that.....
    But.....

15. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Big Lad, you riding this 'thingy' on the road? Why xcx?

16. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
  17. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi mate, for 2 reasons:

1. The XCX has white power suspension. This has long travel and 'apparently' gives a magic carpet ride even on-road;

2. I want to be able to go wherever the wind takes me, so I will want to go off-road - not mud-plugging off course but off tarmac.

I've been offered a virgin 800 XCX for 12,800€ fully registered and ready to go, with panniers and waterproof bags,comfort seat, tank protector, heated grips, and other stuff I can't remember.

Had a phone call about Bonny this evening - here's hoping ;);););););)

18. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    It's very dishonest in my mind. Hook you with a cheap headline price,then say "oh by the way, that's plus VAT that price"

They're not getting my money for sure.

• Like Like x 1
  19. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Tigraft you are a partner in deception, how could you??