[Resolved]Need help

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Samuel F, Jun 6, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Samuel F

Samuel F Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2015
    Glasgow
    hi guys I need help.someone fucked up my bonnie and the wheel is misaligned with the handlebars. What should I do ? Can I ride it ? There don't seem to be any damage to the wheel, some jackass just made it fall on tje next bike.

Where do I go ?

Can I fix this myself ? I'm a total workshop noob...

Is anyone willing to help for a reasonnable price ? I don't want to call my insureance .

2. Samuel F

Mar 24, 2015
    Glasgow
    Nevermind guys, i'm getting it picked up. I don't know jack shit about maintenance a d the fork could be fucked up.

image.jpeg

3. Samuel F

Mar 24, 2015
    Glasgow
    I have to steer to the left to to go straight (rode 2mn)

image.jpg

4. Samuel F

Mar 24, 2015
    Glasgow
    Cannot see any dammage to the forks or wheel...

image.jpg

5. Samuel F

Mar 24, 2015
    Glasgow
    Trying to take photos which could show something...

image.jpg

image.jpg

6. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Hi Samuel. Don't panic, probably just twisted and the wheel clamps, braces and yoke need loosening off and then forks re-aligned.
    in the old days we just used to pick the bike up put the wheel between our legs and give the bars a good yank.
    A bit of a pisser when people do that to your baby, theres no respect for others belongings any more.
    She'll be sorted soon

• Like Like x 1
  7. Samuel F

Mar 24, 2015
    Glasgow
    I appreciate your answers very much guys, and thanks @chiari1 for the concern, thanks for the support @crispey I have a mobile mechanic at least coming to take a look, I'll keep you informed.

Will all things considered it looks like a car bumped into it and just left. Fraking as swipe... ( sorry )

8. Samuel F

Mar 24, 2015
    Glasgow
    Thanks for the tip... I really need to gear up for maintenance... At least I have the haynes guide, that's a good start. Cheers guys.

9. Samuel F

Mar 24, 2015
    Glasgow
    Ok I had mobilemotorcycleservices.co.uk send me a guy. Great guy. It was juste the alignment, he fixed it for 30£ a 10pm. To me it's a great deal. Only real damage is I can now push my right handlebar all the wayagainst the tank...

10. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    I'm pleased your sorted Sam and glad you've not been taken advantage of, !!!!
    As for maintenance you do need to be more knowledgeable, it was a great pity you missed out on the opportunity
    given to you by Mr Orange and a shame you missed out on a chance to watch and learn which is always the best way to go about things, More knowledge needed Sam otherwise someone will be taking you for a ride !!!!
    ( that doesn't mean a trip out, it means you losing hard earned CASH )

• Like Like x 2
  11. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    That's not bad Sam sounds like you weren't ripped off there, with regards to the bars hitting the tank, did the mech say anything? Are the bars slightly bent or not lined up in the clamps properly?

12. Samuel F

Mar 24, 2015
    Glasgow
    The thing that prevents the bar from going to far is damaged. That's the only real damage. (On one sude). And yeah I know I need to learn about self maintenance...

13. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Sorry to hear about this Sam - there are some right bastards out there.
    Glad you got it sorted though.

14. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    That sounds really good Sam. Fair price for the fact that you can now be back on the road.

15. Samuel F

Mar 24, 2015
    Glasgow
    I feel like I have just been scolded by @TEZ 217 :(

It's just been a month ! I promise I will learn, this shiny new toy of mine is so new, I kinda panicked, and was like "get her to the hospital!!!!:D"

Yeah that guy I called asked for a very fair price and is quite a nice guy. I cannot recommend him enough.

Thanks for the advice @half ton I'll look into that, I don't think the bars can actually touch the tank, ( I got it fixed and put it to bed |) but they are I will look into trying to stop it.

Though, and please correct me if I'm wrong ( don't yell at meeeee ! :p) but I don't really see that as a major riding hazard...

16. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi mate, Tez is a very nice and kind guy so I don't think it was his intention to be harsh on you, it's just that in the culture of motorbike enthusiasts it is very, very common for owners to do their own maintenance and repairs. Not all of course, but most owners take pride in looking after "their baby" themselves.

Re the question about "is it a danger" to have the lock stop broken off, no I would say it's not. But IF anything were to happen where you needed to turn quickly, you might just damage the petrol tank - which would be very bad as it is expensive to repair or replace. Plus you might injure your hand in the process.

So in summary, it is possible to ride your bike (with care) in it's current state, but it is advisable to get it repaired at your earliest convenience.

Salut mon pôte

Dave

17. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    I don't think tez was ticking you off I'm sure he's a pussy cat really. As regards self maintainance we all had to learn sometime and at first it's a scary prospect as you think you might cock up but it's a machine so cock ups won't kill it just be expensive :p but that's what makes you take more care and learn faster!;)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Samuel F

Mar 24, 2015
    Glasgow
    Allright ! cheers for the advice the big lad, I will definitively keep that in mind.

I do not bear any resentment of harsh feeling what so ever toward Tez, more amused is all :D it's just that when I do the balance between "I need to fix this and I need to be safe", my inexperience tends to weight on the "I need to be safe".

I would just to start my very first beginnings (Yeah I know, pleonasm) in motorcycle servicing with changing the pipes, the headlight, the oil, stuff that, basically will not kill me in case a big error. say, If I would have my fork weakened, and decided to just fix the alignment myself ( I don't even have the tools yet), I could have put myself in danger... I'm just nor ready for that (death on bike in the family tends to make you very, very cautious, no matter how much you love riding). o_O

19. PETER CLARKE

PETER CLARKE Senior Member

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    Hi Sam, you got of very lightly thankfully you will now have to find better places to park up from now on.

20. Sceptic Al

Sceptic Al Well-Known Member

Hi Sam. Glad you got your pride and joy sorted out without a humungous hole in your bank account. Don't take what Tez said personally, as you'll find just about all bikers want to keep each other safe. The big thing is safety, yours and the others on the road. Pranging yourself is one thing but, pranging someone else through your mistake is much, much worse I guess. So, if you 'fix' it yourself check it, then check it, then go and have a brew before you go and check it again. If after all this you're still not sure, get someone else to check it. We all had to learn once and we are still learning.:)

• Like Like x 1