Thruxton Replacement Tyres Thruxton

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by BT81, Aug 17, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. BT81

BT81 Member

Jul 31, 2021
    Lichfield
    Stupid question alert…
    Just buying some new tyres for the RS
    M9rr’s

I believe the Thruxton tyres as standard are tubed - do I need to buy a new inner tube?

2. RetTh'ead

RetTh'ead Well-Known Member

May 16, 2021
    Southern Scotland
    Hello there,
    I have had a couple of Thruxton R bikes and put about 25,000 miles on the pair. As you can imagine I have used a fair few tyres in that time!
    I am making the assumption that you are replacing the tyres due to wear rather than puncture, deterioration due to age or damage?
    The local tyre supplier strongly reccomended fitting new tubes every time the tyres were replaced. However a very well respected tyre shop whom I have dealt with successfully for over four decades (SMD but is no longer local to me), said that regime was over cautious. I made the assumption that because I was going through pairs of tyres twice in 1.5 years. I reasoned that the chances of the tubes degrading in six months and 3.5K miles was slight.
    Therefore the compromise I have employed so far is to replace the tubes with every second pair of tyres approx every 16 months and approx 7K miles.
    I would be interested to hear the view of other members of the forum on this compromise.
    Best wishes ReTh'ed

• Like Like x 2
  3. doov29

doov29 Well-Known Member

May 30, 2020
    Aberdeen
    My Thruxton R has about 4500 miles on it and I’m on my original front tube (2nd tyre) Rear is on its 2nd tube and 3rd tyre. Rear tube was only replaced because of a puncture.
    My local tyre guy also told me there was no need to change tubes every time you change a tyre but did give them a check over before he reinstalled them.

Only thing I would say is I’m pretty sure I read somewhere that Metzeler only recommend using Metzeler tubes with their tyres but suspect this is from a fiscal standpoint rather than a safety one.
    I recently changed my OEM Pirelli's for M9RR's without changing the tubes and have had no issues.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. BT81

BT81 Member

Jul 31, 2021
    Lichfield
    I literally just had the postman arrive with the new m9rr

I only have 2,000ish miles on my bike from new - so sounds like no need to have new tubes at this stage

5. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    I agree with @RetTh'ead . I had new tyres on my Thruxton R this year. Fitter checked the tubes and advised they were both ok, so I went with the existing tubes. I will likely change the tubes when I get the next set of tyres.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. garethr

garethr Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2015
    BRISTOL UK
    Although tyre manufacturers say "new tyre, new tube", I usually run a tube for two tyres.

However, I may fit a new tube with the first new tyre so that I have a spare. These days you may not be able to obtain a replacement tube immediately if you need one.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. RetTh'ead

RetTh'ead Well-Known Member

May 16, 2021
    Southern Scotland
    Good advice Gareth
    I meant to say the same re keeping the old tubes.
    A couple of times I have been caught out by the limited supply of 17" tubes and had to wait a few days for a delivery.
    Cheers
    RetTh'ead