Repairing Aluminium Covers

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Ranger, Aug 14, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Ranger

Ranger New Member

Jul 17, 2019
    UK
    Has anyone tried to repair a clutch cover with a hole in it. The replacement cover is on backorder to mid September and I am wondering if some kind of fill and repaint could be an option. Any ideas would be useful?

IMG_1480.jpg

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Davie_M

Davie_M Active Member

Jan 24, 2017
    Hamilton
    get it welded

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    #3 t552, Aug 15, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    Do not rub down till filled with chemical metal. Once filled then you can rub down,use as little filler as possible. Then paint. Should be a good repair.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. feckless

feckless Noble Member

Apr 16, 2019
    Cumbria
    i have used kwik steel to fill a casing before and it worked very well. just be sure to thoroughly degrease the area to be filled and rough it up with some coarse emery as it helps to provide a better key. it will last way beyond September

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    I wouldn’t bother for four weeks wait. It doesn’t seem to be leaking oil so no bother. Touch it in with some similar coloured paint if the look of it bothers you but I wouldn’t spend money on welding or metal fixes if you are going to change it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. SpeedTwin1200

SpeedTwin1200 Senior Member

Jul 21, 2019
    Hampshire
    If there is a hole, I'd want to know if a piece of the cover dropped into the engine first. Then if you take the cover off, you might find you can fill the inside of the hole with something like a gasket material that is resistant to heat and oil and won't damage the engine if it comes free. It might be tidier than a surface filler.
    Sorry to see the damage Ranger. Was it a static or moving drop?
    I've just bought but not yet fitted these from Triumph...a timely reminder.
    They blend into the covers better than the R&G protection I think.

Screen Shot 2019-08-15 at 09.24.53.png

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Ranger

Ranger New Member

Jul 17, 2019
    UK
    Thanks for the comments. Some nice suggestions.

SpeedTwin1200 - The bike was a write of resold with front end damage. Looks like it toppled over after the crash...

• Thanks Thanks x 1