Removing Warning Decals From 2022 Gold Line Fuel Tank?

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by MotoMick, Feb 7, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MotoMick

MotoMick New Member

Feb 7, 2022
    USA
    Hi Forum. This is my first post.

Has anyone determined if the warning decals on the fuel tank can be removed without damaging the paint? The manual says that in "some cases" the decals may be under the clear coat. (I found the manual pdf online.)

I am considering a 2022 Gold Line Bonneville but not sure whether I could stand permanently looking at the stupid decals on what is otherwise a beautiful paint scheme,

I live in the USA. Are those decals applied to all of the bikes worldwide? Seems like all the videos I watch about the bike show the decals in place on the gas tank near the filler cap.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    I've just removed them from my Goldline Street Scrambler with a matt blue tank. They came of pretty easy with the help of a hair dryer.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. MotoMick

MotoMick New Member

Feb 7, 2022
    USA
    Thanks! Was hoping they weren't under the clear coat. These days you never know. Seems we are always being warned about something. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Howdy MotoMick :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Hi and welcome…

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. MotoMick

MotoMick New Member

Feb 7, 2022
    USA
    Thanks for the welcome! Pretty sure a new Bonneville will be in the garage soon!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Greetings, @MotoMick, and welcome to the forum. I've never had difficult removing decals from the painted parts of any new bikes I've bought. In fact, removing them is one of the first things I do (along with removing reflectors) when I bring a new bike home and get it in the garage. As @Pegscraper said, removal can be even easier with the use of a hairdryer to soften the adhesive. We're looking forward to see a photo of two of your new Bonneville if--sounds more like when--you get it.
    TTF welcome.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Octoberon

Octoberon Crème de la Crème

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    ITank sticker are fine to remove, I'm sure, but I wonder, are there any legal requirements for reflectors on bikes? In the UK there has to be a reflector at the read of the vehicle but I don't know about the sides.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Golgotha

Golgotha Guest

Lose 'em. They come off easy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Legally, manufacturers have to put reflectors on new bicycles and motorcycles and dealers have to sell them with them on. I have no idea if there's actually a law for the bicycle or motorcycle owners that there must be reflectors on your bikes. But I've taken reflectors off all of my bicycles for the past 30+ years and each of my motorcycles for 10+ years without a peep from anyone. I'd say the way they're attached in the first place indicates that those who install them know they'll more than likely be taken off.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. MARKYMARKTHREE

MARKYMARKTHREE Senior Member

Feb 11, 2020
    SOMERSET
    All the dafty stickers came off easily on my new SS, also all those little dabs of chalk or paint, which i think are inspection marks. Why do they leave all those dabs on there, i think they should come off at PDI ?
    Fork reflectors also came straight off but i have kept them just in case.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Octoberon

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    I believe not having a red reflector on the rear of the bike may be a MoT failure (our mandatory, annual check for vehicles over three years old) but someone can correct me if I'm wrong. It would be another reason for the Rozzers to pull you over as well. Best not give them any excuses in my opinion. The amber reflectors I don't know. I'd never considered removing any but it does improve the look of your Harley and I'm curious now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. MattP

MattP Active Member

Feb 27, 2018
    Leeds
    I always take the amber ones off the forks and rear number plate holder. My Speed Triple passed an MOT with them removed, so I don't think it can be a legal requirement, although the red rear one is.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    A rear reflector is a legal requirement but not those on the side AFAIK. Their presence doesn't bother me TBH so I leave them on, much the same with the "tail tidies" that seem to do little other than cover the back of the bike and rider in road crap in bad weather.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. covid-21

covid-21 Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2020
    QLD Australia
    The best solvent for removing the stubborn glue that decals leave behind is petrol. If you've ever spilled petrol on your tank you'll already be aware that it won't damage the finish. Unlike other solvents that tend to spread the adhesive into ever thinner layers, petrol just wipes it clean in one go leaving no residue.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I've been using a dab of lighter fluid on a rag per a recommendation by the service manager at my Triumph dealership. And more recently, @capt and @Dartplayer turned me on to tea tree oil which works great...and smells better, too. :)

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    Acetone or brake/clutch cleaner have always worked for me. What surface the glue is stuck to will obviously have a bearing on your choice of solvent, especially those with a paint finish.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Happy Jack

Happy Jack Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2022
    Florissant Mo
    #18 Happy Jack, Feb 9, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2022
    Yeah I would like to know that as well that is how to remove the fork reflectors I deal with the free state of Missouri later !

• Like Like x 1
  19. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Now I'm a bit curious, too, @Octoberon. But on some things I'd rather "ask for forgiveness than ask for permission". ;):joy: Reflectors on my motorcycles is one of those things. Here's why.

Before

Screen Shot 2022-02-09 at 9.42.07 PM.png

After

IMG_6219.jpeg

One of the other small but mighty mods I'm planning on my Fat Boy is a a change from that sticky-outie license plate holder you see flapping (figuratively speaking) in the breeze. I'm replacing it with this when it's off back-order. It's something that's a bit legally suspect. I've even read the AZ regulations on license plate display and it's unclear. Mostly the law reads that the plate must be "readable". All of the guys I know that have been around the block (including a friend who is a cop) have said that the police really don't seem to care about the vertical position of a frame like this as long as it's readable. I'll take my chances. :rolleyes:
    Screen Shot 2022-02-09 at 10.01.22 PM.png

• Like Like x 1
  20. Octoberon

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    You make a compelling case for the removal of reflectors. :) I'm not too bothered about the red one on the back of my bikes as that aspect is already ruined but the yellow number plate we have to display. There's a reasonable case for them as well, if you're parked up on a dark road an don't want some unobservant idiot in a car clattering in to your pride and joy. Not that many would leave their bikes in such a vulnerable place.
    A lot of people here, particularly with sports bikes that are naturally narrow at the rear, used to replace them with slim, single line, plates, but it seems less common these days. Presumably because they got fed up with being stopped by the police, who have been known to hang around outside racing circuits, ready to pull people over and caution or fine them in droves. Or perhaps it's just because there are fewer sports bikes around than 20 years ago.

• Agree Agree x 1