Featured Removing Thruxton R Front Sprocket

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by JULIAN WW, Feb 9, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. JULIAN WW

JULIAN WW Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2019
    carlton in lindrick
    Had a new chain & sprocket set to fit to the 1200 Thruxton R and had to leap a couple of hurdles. Armed with a new locking washer I removed the sprocket covers (outer and inner) and got the coolant tank hung out the way - all straightforward. Sprocket nut needed a 36mm (across flats) socket so off to Halfords and bought a super heavy duty brute. The afternoon was then spent heaving on a breaker bar with bike in gear and brakes locked on. Family & friends enlisted to assist and bike nearly ended up on its side wearing my wife and with me underneath. Gave up before something or someone got seriously broken. This morning I took a trip to MachineMart and purchased a Clarke mains voltage impact driver for £71. This is much cheaper than the rechargeable battery powered versions and offers high torque which seems to cost several hundred pounds in the battery types. Working on my own this time I again had the bike in top gear, brakes cable tied on and also the forks ratchet strapped to a ground anchor. Applied the impact driver in reverse and I couldn't have counted to 1 before the nut was spinning off. The bike itself had not flinched so all my lock down actions appeared redundant .(better safe then sorry) There was no sign of the ubiquitous thread locking compound but there was a small telltale of rust in the first couple of thread turns. I'm sure I will now be able to undo the wheelnuts on my camper van as quick as a KwikFit Fitter and impress the neighbours with my AK 45 sounding spanner. It probably would have been cheaper to give it to the bike shop to do but where's the sense of satisfaction in that!

• Like Like x 7
    • Funny Funny x 4
  2. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Can't beat proper tools and you now have it for all those other jobs :)

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. JULIAN WW

Nov 27, 2019
    carlton in lindrick
    As has been said before, my biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell all my tools for what I told her I paid for them!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    #4 Bad Billy, Feb 10, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    I feel your pain :mad:, getting the front sprocket off any bike I have ever done it on has been a pain :sweat:, from now on though I will nip round yours! :p

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. 2Fast

2Fast Thrux ton-up

Feb 25, 2019
    North Yorkshire
    Agreed, though not just the tools... Bikes, Watches, HiFi, pretty much anything I've bought 'us' :p

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    there is a Del boys video about undoing the front sprocket using the axle with the chain looped round it and held in place with a screwdriver or similar through the links and tapping the spanner as you try to loosen the nut. Well I reckon he took a couple of hours to loosen it off camera then shot it making it look so easy with a couple of taps. It took me ages but then the sprocket gave a tiny bit and all came away really easily.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    I have a mug with that written on and I make sure everyone see's it.
    Regards
    Joe.

8. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Bought the self same tool a few years ago for dismantling car wishbones and wondered why I hadn’t bought one sooner. Maybe a little bulky for tight access but worth its not inconsiderable weight in saved knuckles......

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. JULIAN WW

Nov 27, 2019
    carlton in lindrick
    Thanks all for the supporting comments. I did also try heat from a butane torch and a hand held impact driver normally used for Jap bike cross-head screws. So not in any doubt it was the right tool for the job. Any fellow Trumpet owner in the locality, needing tight nut fettling give a shout.

• Agree Agree x 1