Removing And Refitting Knee Pads.. How Do You Do It?

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by MartyWilson, Sep 2, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MartyWilson

MartyWilson Guest

Sorry to bother y'all again but I'm back to pick your brains. I have new bodywork for one of my 2001 Bonnie's. She's going from Green/Silver to the 2002 Sky Blue and silver colour scheme. Anyway the new bodywork is just that, Brand new, taken off a new bike that converted to the Jubilee scheme in 2002 either by Triumph themselves or the dealer. Anyway the new tank doesn't have kneepads fitted so I will either have to take the one's off the current tank or get some new ones so, if removal is an option I need to know how to do it cleanly without damaging the paintwork of the tank they are on. All help gratefully received.

On the other hand, if anyone has a spare set of new or used knee pads I will be happy to buy 'em off you.

Finally, the underside of the new tank has a signature and a couple of letters written in bright pink, does anyone know what that means, is it the signature of the person who painted the tank?

2. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    • Like Like x 2
  3. JtC

JtC Elite Member

Apr 20, 2020
    New Mexico
    I'll ask some people I work with. As much time as some of them spend on their knees they've GOT to be good at it.

Oh. THOSE knee pads. Sorry.

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. MartyWilson

MartyWilson Guest

Once again you come to my rescue Martin! :) You running a Triumph Bonnie spares yard? :rolleyes: I don't suppose you happen to have a pair of the good metal tank badges as well?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. MartyWilson

MartyWilson Guest

Looks like I am sorted for Knee Pads thanks to MadMrB but I would still like to know for future reference if there is an easy way to remove knee pads without harming paintwork or damaging the pads as I have an idea that I might re-finish the current bodywork for use as spares in the future and it would make it easier if I can remove the pads before doing touch up/repaint work.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. JtC

JtC Elite Member

Apr 20, 2020
    New Mexico
    I've removed self-adhesive parts with fishing line and a hair dryer. Just run the fishing line under the part to be removed and if it doesn't seem to want to release just heat it up a bit.

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    Sorry, I don't have the tank badges :)

Knee pads are yours, I'll get them in the post ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. MartyWilson

MartyWilson Guest

When you say fishing line @JtC do you mean monofilament nylon or that new fangled braided kevlar(?) stuff.

9. JtC

JtC Elite Member

Apr 20, 2020
    New Mexico
    Monofilament. I started to type that but thought it sounded snooty. Haha

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. rmoore911

rmoore911 New Member

May 20, 2020
    Like JtC said. Gentle heat and some mono is your friend. I've debadged cars before, and as long as you use gentle heat, you won't mar the paint. If you have any glue left on the surface, rubbing alcohol can usually remove that.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Mischa Vladivostok

Mischa Vladivostok Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Dublin, Ireland
    I've swapped my Bonnie's knee pads in the past as well. I took the tank off, and just used a hair dryer. Better if you can get the dryer to the tank (I couldn't), but otherwise work with an almost empty tank (less risk with petrol, and it is way lighter that way).

• Like Like x 1
  12. Trevor Austin

Trevor Austin Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2020
    Northumberland
    If you are going to do that you might as well fill the tank with very warm water to loosen the glue. Then you don’t have to muck about with a hairdryer.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • WTF WTF x 1
  13. Mischa Vladivostok

Mischa Vladivostok Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Dublin, Ireland
    Hmmm I wouldn't recommend putting water in the fuel tank. You'd have to find a way to completely empty it to save the fuel, and then making sure it's seriously dry inside, before putting the fuel back in.

• Agree Agree x 1