Sprint GT Rectifier/regulator

Discussion in 'Sprint & Trophy' started by Aidan, Mar 12, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Essex
    I've been having some poor starting issues when the bike gets hot after a long run. Seems as thought the battery has lost charge. I wondered if it may be the rectifier getting hot - this has confirmed by a few members of the club who had the same issues with rectifiers failing when hot. I took off the fairing and saw that the rectifier is a huge affair and touches the top coolant pipe, and is surrounded by foam on the inside of the fairing. I don't know who at Triumph thought this was a good idea. I looked at the Sprit parts pictures and Triumph wanted over £300 for one!!! I eventually got one for about £20 shipped direct form Ali Express in China. It is slightly smaller, but does not now touch the coolant pipe. Anyway, going to give an extended test over next few weeks.

The point of this post was just to give anyone a "heads-up" if they are suffering the same.

• Like Like x 4
  2. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Aidan
    Would be good to know and save fellow biker a small packet.
    Joe

3. StonedRollin

StonedRollin Member

Oct 14, 2021
    Fife
    Can you share a link to the one you bought?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Essex
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Ive just had the same problem on my Tiger 800, bought one from MPW, judging by the good reviews, it lasted a week then started over heating and I was back with the same issues. I've replaced it with a triumph one

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Essex
    I do think my next move must be to move it to somewhere that the heat can dissipate - such as under the headstock. Phase 2 of the project!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Mugwump

Mugwump New Member

Mar 7, 2022
    KIngs Lynn
    Just a thought. Might be worth checking that the alternator is behaving properly. It's upstream of the regulator and chucks the power out. If it's overproducing it might be working the rectifier too hard.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Hubaxe

Hubaxe Good moaning! aka Mr Wordsalad :)

Mar 25, 2020
    Aix Les bains - French Alps
    What kind of bike have you?
    On my ST 1050 I noticed in the bike history 2 rectifier changes.
    I moved the rectifier from the right side fairing to the front left for a better cooling.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Essex
    I've got the Sprint GT - the rectifier has been moved to the left side (I guess they had so many failures on the Sprint ST that they had to do something). However, the location meant that the rectifier was actually touching the top coolant hose, and was tucked into the fairing, Crap design. I'm going to try and move it around the headstock area.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Hubaxe

Hubaxe Good moaning! aka Mr Wordsalad :)

Mar 25, 2020
    Aix Les bains - French Alps
    That's what I did. On my ST the regulator is on the front left with a much better ventilation.
    I also put a relay and a voltmeter. It's not preventing things to fail, but it's good to monitor those fragile stator/reg.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1