Recovery Services.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Oldskool, Dec 23, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Oldskool

Oldskool Elite Member

Jan 29, 2019
    Hertfordshire
    Can anyone recommend a good recovery service? I am looking at a package that my insurer wants to sell me that costs £80.00 a year but looking online there are various services available at less cost. The question with all these options is has anyone used one and were they any good ? Obviously owning a Triumph I won’t need it...but if I don’t take a policy out I know that the first time out next year I will require their services. The law of sod dictates these things !

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. OldNick

OldNick Elite Member

Aug 11, 2019
    South Coast UK
    I always use AA home start they’ve always seen me good whenever needed (not needed with the current Triumph I hasten to add!) and I’m covered rather than the vehicle
    So regardless of what I’m in or on I have peace of mind......

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Samsgrandad

Samsgrandad Senior Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Somerset
    I would tend to stick with AA or RAC, and then get personal cover rather than vehicle specific. That way you are covered whatever vehicle you are in. The one your insurer wants to sell is likely to be vehicle specific.
    Whilst your Triumph may not break down, you may need some help in the event of a puncture!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    I'm with GEM MOTORING ASSIST,
    They cover my bike, car and motorhome for little over the figure you quote,
    Used once for my bike(was Harley then) and all was OK very happy with service. Because it was a Sunday recovery I was given another recovery on the Monday to take to chosen garage.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    I use RAC personal cover for any vehicle.. Interestingly I also get the same cover on the tiger which was new last year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. MARKYMARKTHREE

MARKYMARKTHREE Senior Member

Feb 11, 2020
    SOMERSET
    #6 MARKYMARKTHREE, Dec 23, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
    AUTOAID covers me Mrs Marky 4 cars (2 of which are classics) and my motorbike, all for £59.99.
    Used them once in 5 years, cant fault them.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Gary_P

Gary_P Active Member

May 19, 2016
    North Yorkshire
    I have used Rescue my Car . com for quite a few years, never had to have a bike call out, but have used for car, cannot fault. They do personal cover too, worth getting a quote.

https://www.rescuemycar.com/

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    I insure with Carole Nash. Found them great. When my TSX broke down they picked it up and took me home. I phoned the next day and they again picked it up and took it to Bournemouth for me without me being present. The dealer could not do the job so they picked it up again and brought it home for me. Can't grumble with that.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    A big + from me for RAC personal membership. It covers all the bikes and the car. On the way to the NW200 in 2013 I got a stone through the rad in Dumbarton, 4 hours before the ferry sailing. The rad was unrepairable (wasn't prepared to fill the cooling system with any of that rad sealing shite) so the RAC tried to find a new one but no one had one on the shelf and they brought me the 320m back home, via 2 flatbed recovery trucks which changed at Carlisle. So, no NW200, no ferry refund and £600 for a new rad.:mad: Hate to think how much recovery would've been! Only saving grace, if you could say that, was that the weather was so bad the event ended up being cancelled.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    #10 Ducatitotriumph, Dec 23, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
    I too vouch for carole nash.
    In the alps, ran over a ski bike chain and puncture (more of a rip) on the rear.
    One call to the helpline (UK), not only collected the bike, kept it overnight (as it was a sunday), paid for OUR hotel as I was inconvenienced (2 rooms, 3 people), and then whilst eating breakfast the following morning , bike went past the restaurant on the way to the honda dealer (I was on a busa) on the back of the pickup lorry.
    30 mins later, bike trip resumed and I didn’t have to pay for the tyre.
    even paid ALL of the food (for 3) people.
    Amazing.

F522D23F-4D5B-42DB-9F10-AFC1862281E0.jpeg

8B29585C-3C73-45DE-BDAE-FFF8EDE90C3D.jpeg

• Like Like x 6
  11. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    That's about as good as it gets!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. GPT100

GPT100 Active Member

Sep 13, 2016
    East Durham Coast
    I have rescuemycar, about £47 for personal cover, Had a puncture on the T100, they used a dedicated motorcycle breakdown van good service,

• Like Like x 2
  13. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    It was amazing tbh and i've been with carole nash since.
    I had to pay for things (hotel and meals) and had to submit receipts when I got back so I was a bit dubious but all paid with no quibbles. They only said to not go crazy with the meals in the evening.
    All good.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Read the small print as I think the Bank cover stops when you reach 70.

15. Oldskool

Oldskool Elite Member

Jan 29, 2019
    Hertfordshire
    This is what I love about this forum, ask a question and you’ll get some knowledgeable answers. You can’t beat personal recommendations. Thanks all. I am spoilt for choice now !

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

The one time I used my RAC breakdown cover I waited four hours in the rain for them to arrive,I wasn't impressed.

• Like Like x 2