Recommendations For Picos De Europa

Discussion in 'Rideouts, Trackdays, Touring & Spotted' started by JimboSpeed, Jul 13, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. JimboSpeed

JimboSpeed New Member

Jul 9, 2017
    U.K.
    Planning a trip for late summer 2018.

I've looked at the routes that Ride magazine recommend and they look interesting.

I'm just wandering if anyone has been and has in mind any little gems as so often they are missed!

I have fond memories of pôtes as a nipper so definitely head there from Santander.

Looking for recommendations on camping rather than hotels... and I hope to include some surfing on the northern coast. I have 10 days to play with!

Thanks in advance!

2. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Hi Jimbo,welcome to the forum a few guys on here have been,hopfully they will be along shortly

• Like Like x 1
  3. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    Can't comment on campsites as I don't camp but I'm sure there's some about.
    The Picos is stunning.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    I toured the area in 2006 in a GD cobra. I was still serving (Army) so camping would have been my idea of a busman's holiday! That said, IF I was to take a bike I would camp up and down the coast as it is beautiful and you have plenty of choice. The coastal climate is really pleasant too. You would do well to look at E to W routes in the Picos and pick those off the map with plenty of switchbacks but there are plenty of runs up to mountain village dead ends......watch fuel! Fuente De is spectacular and the Parador worth booking for a night for a mid holiday de-gunge!
    Going S of the Picos takes you into arid rolling territory reminiscent of Spaghetti Westerns and less rewarding for bikes.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. JimboSpeed

JimboSpeed New Member

Jul 9, 2017
    U.K.
    callumity that's great thank you.

Fuel stops are probably the only thing I'll plan because that would be my only worry!

Thanks again for the pointers, very helpful

6. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Hi Jimbo, been to the Picos quite a few times over the years, never camped always Paradors or hotels.

Get yourself a Michelin map and look for the twisty roads there's plenty, in fact you'll be spoiled for choice and most of the road surfaces are bliss.

• Like Like x 1
  7. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    Have a look at the Ride magazine routes, there are some good ones for the Picos

• Like Like x 1
  8. jezzasnr

jezzasnr Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2015
    Cornwall
    Not Picos, but with regards to north coast & surfing, i loved Zarautz last year for a couple lazy days before getting the ferry back.
    Lovely town, food, wine & beach. Its a couple hours east of Santander.
    http://www.grancampingzarautz.com/en/

• Like Like x 1
  9. JimboSpeed

JimboSpeed New Member

Jul 9, 2017
    U.K.
    I visited this exact spot on the way back from the Pyrenees last year!

Fantastic place.... those steps down to the beach though!!!

I think I might just have to re visit but want to try some more westerly nearer the mountains this time round.

• Like Like x 1
  10. JimboSpeed

JimboSpeed New Member

Jul 9, 2017
    U.K.
    Thanks for all the replies!

Must get planning!

11. Meir

Meir New Member

Jul 12, 2017
    London
    Hi guys,
    We are 6 men going on a road trip to the Pyrenees in mid-September.
    The route starts in Barcelona, going north along the shore to the French city of Parpignan. From there we ride back to Andorra La Vella and continue to Monte Perdido along the N260. On another day we will be in Jaca, and Monzon and finishing back in Barcelona.
    I would love to hear from you as you have been there if there are good sight seeing places or places we must visit along the route as we have some flexibility.

Many thanks
    Meir

12. Meir

Meir New Member

Jul 12, 2017
    London
    Hi guys,
    We are 6 men going on a road trip to the Pyrenees in mid-September.
    The route starts in Barcelona, going north along the shore to the French city of Parpignan. From there we ride back to Andorra La Vella and continue to Monte Perdido along the N260. On another day we will be in Jaca, and Monzon and finishing back in Barcelona.
    I would love to hear from you as you have been there if there are good sight seeing places or places we must visit along the route as we have some flexibility.

Many thanks
    Meir