Rocket Rear Brake Issue

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by David Downes, Jun 16, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Stephen Trafford

Stephen Trafford New Member

Dec 11, 2020
    grimsby
    Hi, I'll be interested to know how you get on with Triumph. I have a roadster with the same issue. This is not good enough on a modern bike.

• Like Like x 1
  2. martinm

martinm Member

Mar 24, 2018
    leicester
    there is an article in asphalt and rubber about a recall in america to bleed the rear brake as air may have got in to the abs modulator

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. David Downes

David Downes Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2016
    Essex
    #23 David Downes, Dec 18, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
    I got a letter in the post today from Triumph titled:
    ! IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL !
    REAR BRAKE BLEED

It tells me that over time, rear brake travel may increase, it could increase the risk of a crash, etc, the front brake is unaffected. They say that they have authorized (not 'authorised' : unamused:) my dealer to carry out a rear brake fluid bleed procedure free of charge.

That's about the sum of it, and there's nothing in there suggesting that this is a stop-gap while they investigate it further. Which seems very odd to me ... They aren't suggesting that some bikes were shipped with this problem, they specifically say that it develops "over time". And if it happens within a year (which obviously it has, since the bike hasn't even been out that long yet), then common sense says this cannot possibly be a permanent fix, or even something that can just be added to the annual service as a gratis item.

I spoke to my trusty local service manager, and she told me that as far as she knows, it is a stop gap, but for marketing/legal reasons they won't say that in the letter, as it may imply a liability on their part. She says it's a 'service bulletin' not a 'full recall' (the letter does however say "safety recall"), meaning that you bring it in if there's an issue, and/or they'll do it at your next service anyway.

And that's the news for today :confused:

• Like Like x 1
  4. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Yeah I got the same letter :confused:

5. Stephen Trafford

Dec 11, 2020
    grimsby

6. Stephen Trafford

Dec 11, 2020
    grimsby
    Hi, note your update. Do you think this implies that if the brake bleed doesn't work they'll fix the issue?
    They don't inspire confidence!!

7. David Downes

Sep 4, 2016
    Essex
    Well, it does 'work', insofar as it temporarily improves the brakes, and then they fade (presumably from air slowly getting in again) over time.

I've had mine bled twice now, and both time, I ride away like "Oh yeah! that's what a rear brake should do!", and then later "It's not so good anymore" until eventually "It needs bleeding again". I've not ridden in about a month due to it basically being raining everyday, but the last time I did, it was getting toward the latter point of needing it doing again.

I've had it 10-11 months, and done about 1500 miles. So for me, it's needed roughly every 500miles/6months.

I would like to think that either way, Triumph are working on a proper fix, and hopefully the delay is how to do it elegantly and effectively, rather than just cheaply.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. martinm

martinm Member

Mar 24, 2018
    leicester
    it could be that if the air is in the abs modulator a little air goes in to the brake line when the abs has modulated the brake pressure. if the modualter isnt bled properly (without the valves open in the abs) then it will keep happening until the air is out of the modulator and pump.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Stephen Trafford

Dec 11, 2020
    grimsby
    I've had mine bled twice, last time including the abs and it still deteriorates after a few miles. Will see what their reply is to you.

10. Stephen Trafford

Dec 11, 2020
    grimsby
    I've had mine bled twice, last time including the abs and it still deteriorates after a few miles. Will see what their reply is to you

11. stollydriver

stollydriver Elite Member

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    They need to cure issue - this could lead to a fatality, why would they let this slide....

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. martinm

martinm Member

Mar 24, 2018
    leicester
    Its frustrating for those of you with the problem. I trust Triumph to solve it. Hopefuly soon so its all good for a covid free riding season. Let everyone know what happens.

• Like Like x 1
  13. stollydriver

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    Letter arrived today.....

• Like Like x 1
  14. Stephen Trafford

Dec 11, 2020
    grimsby
    Hi,

Will be pleased to know what happens.

• Like Like x 1
  15. David Downes

Sep 4, 2016
    Essex
    Has anyone had this procedure done yet at all? If so, how has it been since?

As you may have figured, the reason I'm posting today, is that it's finally stopped raining, and the sun even made a show, so I took the bike out for a bit.

I got about 20 metres before realising that my rear brake was entirely not there - not even a little bit - and turned around. When I say entirely not there, put it this way, I can put the hill-hold assist on, and still move the bike around with no effort with my feet on the floor. There is no resistance to the pedal at all, unless you pump the brake about 4-5 times, and then there is something there just about. Crazy.

Anyway, I'll probably get the bike recovered to my dealer (with my free Triumph Assist), and they'll do whatever this procedure is. But if it's just bleeding the brakes, they've already done that 3 times in the past year. I'm not up for going in to have the brakes fixed every few months for the life of the bike!

At least today I did get an interesting piece of data in regards to the rear brake. I've literally not been on it for at least 2 months, probably 3 months. And whilst the rear brake was fading when I last rode it, today it's immeasurably worse. So this means it's not a function of the heat of the engine on the brake fluid, nor is it a function of miles ridden, or riding style ... it seems to literally just be a function of time. So that being said, anyone with a rocket that is hoping to jump on it this weekend for the first time in a few months, TEST YOUR BRAKES before you go anywhere.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Stephen Trafford

Dec 11, 2020
    grimsby
    Rocket 3 rear brake issue- I've decided to replace the master cylinder as seem to have exhausted all other options. Expensive but I'm hoping this will be the final solution. Will have to see if successful.

17. stollydriver

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    Big heavy bike with 2500cc and an issue with the stopping mechanism - this is bloody stupid that Triumph are ‘playing’ with a fix and not just rectifying their issue. RANT OVER!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. FuriousFlea

FuriousFlea New Member

Jan 11, 2023
    Sydney
    Has anyone had any further information on the rear brake failure since Feb 2021.

19. stollydriver

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    If you go on Rocket owners club - it seems epidemic. They just pressure bleed again and again. Not good on a big heavy machine.

20. FuriousFlea

FuriousFlea New Member

Jan 11, 2023
    Sydney
    My Rocket has been in twice to have the rear brake fixed. Once on the recall and again 9 months later for the same thing. It is happening again as of Jan 2023 ( haven't had much riding in the rain last year) and I have noticed it is barely working with full rear pedal travel to get any retardation from the rear brake. I am now aware of how it deteriorates as I have twice experienced the failure. I have tried testing on a flat road at 80 km/h and applying rear brake barely gives more than engine braking. Hill Hold has also failed around this level brake effectiveness (or lack off)

I have been in contact with NSW Fair Trading and have been advised that if the failure happens again (3rd time) I would be entitled to a new bike or total refund of the purchase price including accessories) It is happening again but I would like to get another option. The dealer is aware of my complaint to Fair Trading and appears to state that 'the rear brake is within operational limits' when I suspected a drop in performance around Aug 2022. (The month I purchased it here in Sydney in 2020.)

Does anyone know if it is still occurring on the 2022 or 2023 models?