re-map for exhaust

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Thunder 990, Mar 15, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Thunder 990

Thunder 990 New Member

Dec 16, 2014
    I've fitted an SP Engineering exhaust to my 04 Speed Triple and am thinking of re-mapping the ECU to suit, I have been looking at TuneECU interface lead and software which is available for about twenty quid. Has anyone any experience of using these?

2. ming12

ming12 Member

Feb 25, 2013
    Weston Super Mare
    Hi not used one myself but put short pipes on my Speedmaster, they popped when de-accelerating as the excess fuel wasn't burnt (got used to the noise). Speedy was due for a service and MOT so took it to a Triumph dealer who serviced, MOT'd and remapped with new updates, no popping but still loud exhaust. Cost for a remap was half hour labour. Ask at your local Triumph dealer for the cost (plug in and download job done as I was told).

3. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    #3 thebiglad, Mar 15, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
    I used the TuneECU program to install my new map. I bought the cable from Triumph Twin Power (same place I bought my new map) for about £15; TuneECU is downloadable for free from the Tune ECU website.

I found it quite straightforward and very interesting to use, no troubles at all. Using it gives a real insight into modern bike fuelling and control.

Dave

PS Just remember that when remapping the fuelling, it's not just the exhaust changes that count, it's inlet mods as well. For example: if on the inlet side nothing has changed then the quantity of air going into the engine remains roughly the same therefore the fuelling change with a more open exhaust will be relatively minor. However, if you change the inlet side as well, then the engine will get more oxygen and with a freer flowing exhaust be able to breath deeper resulting in lean running - unless a remap is done to take these changes into account.

I don't know the inlet architecture on your bike but on my twin, there was a noise reducing snorkel (ie flow reducer) and a baffle plate within the airbox itself. These two items reduced the incoming airflow by approx 200%. So you can imagine with all that air going in and free flowing pipes to let it out, re-mapping was essential.

4. Thunder 990

Thunder 990 New Member

Dec 16, 2014
    Thanks for the replies. I've not actually run the bike on the road since I put the new pipe on, I will be putting it on the road next week, I will see how it runs before I make a decision. From what I have heard the bike should run OK with this pipe but there may be a bit of popping and banging on the over run, which I am not averse to as long as it's not extreme, my Aprilia Tuono does it and sounds great!

5. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    I've got an SP can on mine.
    It does pop a bit.
    I did have mine re mapped after a while as there was a flat spot at 3000 rpm.
    Give it a go,you might not need to re map.

6. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    I'll be up front and say I have no experience of working on the triples, but if they are the same as the twins in that they have an Air Injection (AI) system, then that'll be the cause of the popping on over-run.

This system is part of a low emissions package mandated on the manufacturers, to meet pollution regs. What it does is - at certain throttle openings - allow fresh air to enter the head after the exhaust valve. This is intended to help burn off any unburnt fuel entering the exhaust pipes.

With the std. exhaust you can hardly hear the popping, but with a more open one it becomes more obvious.

Dave

7. roadrider

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    I believe you can get block off plates for the AI to stop the popping.......doesn't bother me that much.
    My 08 Speed popped a bit even with the standard exhaust.

8. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    On my twin ( as do lots of other twin owners) I removed the injectors, plumbing, solenoid etc and bunged up the holes. Then altered the map using TuneECU so it doesn't light up the EML.

Worked like a charm.

9. Thunder 990

Thunder 990 New Member

Dec 16, 2014
    Roadrider, can you remember what you paid for the remap? Ming12 said he was charged half an hour labour, I asked my nearest Triumph dealer last week and he wanted £54 the robbing git, it must only be ten minutes work for someone who knows what they are doing.

10. roadrider

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    Mine was done on a Dyno so it was quite pricey.
    A triumph dealer should charge about £25 I'd have thought.If you have a service they might do it for free as they update the ECU anyway.