Rattle After Start Up

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Brian Oliver, Feb 2, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Brian Oliver

Brian Oliver New Member

Jan 31, 2021
    Agde France
    Hi every one, I'm Brian south of France new to this page.
    I couldn't start my Thunderbird 900 year 2000, battery is a year old, charged and motor turns. Tried to push start but no luck, then a neighbour helped with jump cables. It started after a while and made a rattle noise which wasn't their before. Ideas what it is and from where?
    Brian

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    Was the rattle from the starter or from the engine as it was running.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Hubaxe

Hubaxe Good moaning! aka Mr Wordsalad :)

Mar 25, 2020
    Aix Les bains - French Alps
    Hi!
    Did you restarted the bike since?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Brian Oliver.
    Well firstly welcome to the family. Sorry to hear you are having problems. Those early models had dodgy starter motors well some did. Mine snapped the shaft. So do get that checked. If it is from the engine probably clutch rattle especially if it has stood for some time. Do keep us all in the know.
    Joe.

5. Brian Oliver

Brian Oliver New Member

Jan 31, 2021
    Agde France
    the rattle comes from the engine, I let it run for a few minutes and haven't started since.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Brian Oliver

Brian Oliver New Member

Jan 31, 2021
    Agde France
    no as it wasn't there last start up in December.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Brian Oliver

Brian Oliver New Member

Jan 31, 2021
    Agde France
    will do, as I have no garage now to do myself as I have done with all my bikes.
    It goes to my local garage for service and repair if needed.

• Like Like x 1
  8. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Brian Oliver.
    Probably just a bit of clutch rattle. Or at worst the old sprag clutch but do get it checked over for peace of mind.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Hubaxe

Mar 25, 2020
    #9 Hubaxe, Feb 3, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
    If the bike stays a long time without running, the petrol ageing can cause rattle, smoke and difficult start.
    Some water can also condensate in fuel lines.
    I would drain old petrol, put some new.
    Check oil level
    Restart

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Hi Brian,

Probably need a bit more information on the extent/locality/nature of the rattle but, from the picture you've painted, I wonder if, perhaps, it maybe the cam. chain tensioner being stuck or sticking? (I'm assuming the T'bird has a similar set up to the Trident etc.) Check the workshop manual (or search online) for something like "T3 cam chain tensioner rattle" and see if this comes up with some further advice or suggestions for next steps .... it might be possible to back off the (automatic) tensioner to allow it to auto-adjust ...... HOWEVER be sure that you are confident in what you are doing before you do that.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Brian Oliver

Brian Oliver New Member

Jan 31, 2021
    Agde France
    Will do Joe, it's going in for a service anyway.
    HI Joe, Thanks for your tip, thought of doing it myself but now I don't have a work shop or garage so the local Moto Garage will do it. I thought maybe the oil was thick after standing a long time and cold weather that the chain tensioner didn't get enough or any oil. As I mentioned it goes for a service everything checked or changed if needed. Will keep the result posted as I think its an interesting noise.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Salut Brian :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Brian Oliver

Brian Oliver New Member

Jan 31, 2021
    Agde France
    #13 Brian Oliver, Feb 14, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
    Hi everyone,
    Got news from the garage that said he'd take a look at my Thunderbird, he told me the camshaft is buggered? Needs a new engine as this would be cheaper. Well I have done work on my bikes since I was 18 so getting on for 60 years and this sound is not that hard. I have heard piston slap, valve clatter, big end knocks, drive chain clatter but this is new to me. If a camshaft is buggered then the motor won't run at all or with heavy knocks if bearing shells are badly worn. Its done about 6'000 km since the last service. and a total 59'000 km. It will be checked by somebody else as I'm sure its timing chain tensioner or top pad broken.
    What do you think guys?

Triumph Thunderbird.jpg

14. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

Sounds like a job to do during lockdown and before the nice riding weather arrives.

Start as you suggest with the easier (and most probable causes) like the chain tensioner.

Stripping down the engine (with the right tools) is easy. I always struggle putting it back together in the right order and making it run again :joy:

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Bolosun

Bolosun Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2020
    Crewe/Cheshire
    Are these bikes know for having issues with the camshafts? Why would a complete engine be cheaper than repairing this one? What exactly does the dealer mean by "the camshaft is buggered"?

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Hi @Brian Oliver ,

Just a thought , maybe the balancer shaft has spun a bearing ? It's located across the front of the motor , you access remove it through that nice chrome cover above and to the front of your water pump !

I had this happen to my 94 Trident. From memory it went @ 60 or 70 thousand km ? It made a very audible knock ! New bearing's and in my case required a new shaft ! Although I believe it can be run without !! JCS dealers in Perth did mine under 'partial warranty' parts were supplied but I paid labour , as it was just a little out of the 2yrs and some bikes had done similar.

Bike ran fine for many km's after the repairs. The balancers do vary between the different motors. They couldn't get a Trident one easily , so put a Thunderbird one in ! Lighter than the Trident one , so I believe.

Hope this helps ... ?

17. Hubaxe

Mar 25, 2020
    Hi Brian!
    An engine change is maybe easier than put engine in parts.
    But like another poster, I wonder about a buggered camshaft?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Brian Oliver

Brian Oliver New Member

Jan 31, 2021
    Agde France
    Hi Guys, I have decided to sell the bike to a great younger guy who wants to fix it himself, I don't have a workshop or garage to work in. It was a shame to sell it but at my age it has to be down tools. I might be able to help him fix it as there are a couple of easy checks to do. Camshaft cover removal will show what's next or the tension isn't correct. Will keep you posted or the new guy will as we both look up your great forums and tips.

• Like Like x 2