Rare bikes on British roads

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by steve lovatt, Jan 25, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    This item came up in a link in a Bennetts email about Guy Martin and John McGuinness and the TT.
    Apart from referencing the rarest bikes, it explains how you can check which bikes still actually exist on UK roads via www.howmanyleft.co.uk. It’s an online database/search engine which covers all vehicles – cars AND bikes – that have a valid tax disc or a (SORN).

The one Triumph referred to is the Daytona Super III - the more expensive, Cosworth-tuned, limited edition version. According to the records there aren’t any currently on the road at all, and just TWO on SORN.
    370_Daytona_superIII.jpg

Here's another bit of useless knowledge relating to Triumphs.
    There are currently almost 17,000 Bonnevilles in use on British roads and, if you take all the various models into account, even more Tigers. The Street Triple can boast an impressive 10,159 on UK roads. (By comparison, there’s 5103 MT-09s out there).
    The Speedmaster though has just 325 examples on British roads

• Like Like x 1
  2. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    There's a Daytona Super III on eBay at the moment for £6500.00

Don't know if it's a genuine one or not.
    Anyone thinking of buying one would need to do some research first.

• Like Like x 1
  3. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    That's interesting - it references the Cosworth tuned engine but as you say you would want to check the authenticity for that money!

4. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    is that cheap or expensive?? i seem to remember when i had my Daytona and they brought out the super111 the reviews were saying it wasn't much difference to the standard Daytona or maybe they meant for the extra money it wasn't worth it

5. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    According to that site there are 148 Trident Sprints licensed and 158 on sorn, May be right but I recall reading somewhere that it is not accurate. I am sure there are more S111s about than that,only 2 on sorn????

6. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    The site can't be perfect, as it depends upon the correct logging of vehicle names but it must be based on DVLA data and so must be fairly accurate. According to the article the latest figures are taken from autumn 2016.

• Like Like x 1