Rant of the day

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Havit, Sep 10, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Fork Lock

Fork Lock Elite Member

Feb 5, 2021
    South Jersey, The 51st State
    #4601 Fork Lock, Sep 17, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2022
    CHARGERS AND CREEPERS

I HATE, HATE, HATE both!

Chargers - Those meatheads who charge up to a stop sign on the side street you are approaching when you have the right of way, and look as though they are going to blow the stop, then they stand on the brakes at the last minute as you feel your nuts climbing up into your chest cavity.

Creepers - The cretins who are stopped on the side street you are approaching when you have the right of way, but start rolling, ever so slowly, past the stop line - "Are they gonna go?" "Do they see me?" "Should I say a Hail Mary?"

Did I say I HATE, HATE, HATE them both?

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Fork Lock

Fork Lock Elite Member

Feb 5, 2021
    South Jersey, The 51st State
    #4602 Fork Lock, Sep 17, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2022
    So, when a cretin driving like an a$$hole sees the "Child on board" or "Baby on board" sticker on a car they will suddenly reflect on their bad driving habits and become model drivers?

They remind me of the "Gun Free Zone" signs. I'm sure that an armed mope approaching a gun free zone with bad intent would see the sign and decide not to do bad things.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. surlyone2

surlyone2 Active Member

Mar 29, 2022
    New Zealand
    Or decide to do bad things anyway, 'cos they are probably the only one with a gun ?

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    • Agree Agree x 8
  5. johne

johne Standing on the shoulders of dwarves.

Jan 16, 2020
    Where the Wolds meet the sea
    ROAD TAX! My car is apparently ULEZ compliant and as such I've only ever paid £30 a year to tax it. I can't really complain about that as its a 2 litre Diesel and as we all know a 600cc and above motorcycle costs well over £100 to tax for the same period. I've had the car 4 years and the tax has never gone up in that time.

You know what's coming right? Yes, its gone up to £35 this year.

'Why are you moaning' I hear you say? Its only a fiver more. Yes it is, but that equates to a 16% increase which to my mind is a bl**dy lot. Robbing gits. :mad: Whilst I'm having a moan, as I have 4 roadworthy bikes, only one under 600cc, my road tax bill is fairly hefty. I can't ride all 4 at once, so why not have a system where the owner/rider/driver pays the tax on a personal basis and is able to drive/ride all of his/her vehicles for a one off annual payment? A similar system is used in the States I believe. Perhaps Sandi or one of our other stateside members can explain their system better. ,

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  6. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Bikes are over-taxed. It's ridiculous that a bike is charged over £100 but a diesel car gets away with £35 :mad:

• Agree Agree x 13
  7. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    All may be fair in Love and War but not Politics.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    #4608 Eldon, Jun 29, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2023
    A personal tax @johne as you suggest for a multi vehicle owner, such as probably most on here, wouldn't create the same revenue.
    Let's forget all this green planet BS as at the end of the day the government spends loads and sells/makes or otherwise "earns" absolutely nothing!

My 65 plate car, is £20 pa.
    My 72 plate car is £165 pa, both petrols. If this really was about emissions then surely the 7 year newer car would be cheapest, no?
    My x3 over 600cc bikes are, what is it, £105 pa each.
    Our motorhome is the real pisstake, least road miles used a year yet over £320 pa.

So I make that over £800 in road tax plus over £3k/yr in council tax so probably need to earn over £6k just to cover those liabilities and get my bins emptied.... absolute joke!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    My Husaberg at 570cc just falls into the lower tax rate for bikes with the others at full wack. My 25yr old diesel 4x4 is not categorised by actual emissions numbers but classed as over 1549cc at £325 PA. Sooner or later they're going to start coming down heavily on people who hang on to older vehicles IMO.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Older vehicles will be the means to subsidise the electric change over before we all get a shock :confounded:

See what I did there :cool:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

Here's something else to rant about, over 600cc bikes are now £111 a year:sob:

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Glenn2926

Glenn2926 Senior Member
    Subscriber

Dec 21, 2021
    Yorkshire
    You really should consider up plating your motorhome. Mine is plated at 4t this (ridiculous as it may seem) reduces the road tax to £165. Crazy eh?
    My wife’s car, a 15 plate smart for four is zero rated tax. A newer model of exactly the same car is not zero rated.

• Useful Useful x 2
  13. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    How do you go about increasing plate weights. ?

14. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    #4614 Eldon, Jun 29, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2023
    Might get this beastie up and running in the next few months, just to be able to stick two fingers up at the government as its tax and mot free from 2024 :blush:

20230629_220019.jpg

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Interesting that @Glenn2926 as we are considering trading ours in in the next year and want to be around the 4 ton mark to provide the necessary upgrade.
    Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    It is for exactly that reason that I bought a 65 plate rather than a 17 onwards. Same car, nothing at all different, went from £20 to £165 yearly tax ...... totally ridiculous!

When we bought the 72 plate they were falling over themselves for us to px the 65 plate in as it was an easy seller, one salesperson even said so.
    We px'ed a 58 plate Seat in instead :joy:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    I knew it was something like that..... but hey @David Cooper thanks for the reminder :weary_face:

18. Glenn2926

Glenn2926 Senior Member
    Subscriber

Dec 21, 2021
    Yorkshire
    Sorry just back from a long weekend bike trip to Arran so only just seen this.
    There are companies that do this for owners of motorhomes. Depending on your motorhome and the weight you want to up to it is normally just a paper exercise.
    I think SV tech or something similar is the one I have mentioned most.

• Like Like x 2
  19. johne

johne Standing on the shoulders of dwarves.

Jan 16, 2020
    Where the Wolds meet the sea
    Parcel Farce
    I know, We've all waited in all day for a delivery that didn't happen. I bought a top box on line last week. The seller sent it by 24 hour delivery, that was last Wednesday, so of course nearly a week later its still not here. Apparently Rumplestiltskin is due to call between 13:43 and 14:43 this afternoon. He was also due to call yesterday between 16:09 and 17:09 according to the tracking info. The little map on the Courier website showed his white van to be less than 2 miles from here at about half past 4. Ah well, its not as if its a donor heart or something critical. I don't usually flame delivery companies. Shit happens as Forest Gump said, but FFS! if you pay for 24 hour delivery you kind of expect no worse than 48 hours don't you? Its well over 120 hours now, Lets hope Rumple with his horse and cart make this afternoon or Parcelfarce are going to get yet another pissed off customer bending their ears. :grinning:

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Fiddlesticks

Fiddlesticks New Member

Jul 8, 2023
    Wirral
    Evri... Seller booked a 24hr delivery on Sunday July 30. As of today (8 Aug) it's made it as far as his local depot.

• Funny Funny x 3