Rant of the day

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Havit, Sep 10, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. johne

johne Standing on the shoulders of dwarves.

Jan 16, 2020
    Where the Wolds meet the sea
    Road gritting! There's a love/hate relationship if ever there was one.

From the local council's point of view, I guess they are damned if they do and damned if they don't. Send out the gritting fleet I mean. The gritters were certainly out last night in our area and it is frosty here this morning, so a correct call perhaps, but I have noticed they seem to be out in the weeks leading up to Christmas whether its forecast to be very cold or mild. Plus in very mild winters they also seem to dump the stuff on the roads in late winter/early Spring regardless. Presumably the gritter drivers wanting to get their overtime in and the council needing to dispose of the stuff before they buy another load for the following winter?

I hate the salt they put on the roads, It fu**s up your bike and your car if you don't get it thoroughly washed off, but could save your life from ending in the bottom of a ditch somewhere after skidding on so called black ice on an untreated road. What are your views on the practice?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Its the aftermath that pisses me off. It makes the roads greasy for days afterwards if its not washed away with rain.

3. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw

• Like Like x 7
  4. andyc1

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    No words needed :mad:
    SmartSelect_20210413-172921_upday.jpg

• Funny Funny x 2
    • WTF WTF x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  5. Iron

Iron Guest

None needed here either

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Peter B

Peter B Active Member

May 24, 2020
    West Yorkshire
    I'd like to apologise to everyone for everything I've ever said to anyone.
    There that should cover the lot.

I can start again now

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Peter B

Peter B Active Member

May 24, 2020
    West Yorkshire
    I'd like to apologise to everyone for everything I've ever said to anyone.
    There that should cover the lot.

I can start again now

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    And again. Lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    Peter B must have said some terrible things :grinning:

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    We’ll that video had a couple of things going for it;) but I so wanted the dude at the end to walk into that sign post:p

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    My main worry is that they’re allowed to breed!
    1DCA04CC-9257-4F60-9338-DF59E1427BB7.png 6ED21DC1-8923-48DB-BAE4-64EE6544AD88.jpeg
    and the point of this was?
    I hope that all those involved are never allowed into the ground again.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • WTF WTF x 1
  12. andyc1

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    How much was that worth?

13. Yorkshireman

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s high end of 5 figures.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Trouble is it won't just be that but probably the mount on the camera too.

15. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    a bit higher, and with the camera repairs into 6 figures

• Like Like x 1
  16. Yorkshireman

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Yep, I remember looking up the cost of a camera you were using in a pic you posted at a rugby match and that made my eyes water!

17. andyc1

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Top class optics for dslr cameras can run into 10k+ so I imagine this will be in another league o_O

18. johne

johne Standing on the shoulders of dwarves.

Jan 16, 2020
    Where the Wolds meet the sea
    Sponsored by Autoglass? Can you guess what I'm ranting about yet? Its that time of the year when the road teams are engaged in showering our roads with that murderous (for bikers) mix of chippings and tar, which causes nothing but misery to motorcyclists and motorists alike. They seem to choose the hot days to apply it, so invariably it ends up with two strips of tar where the chippings have been thrown up into the verge and centre of the road by car/lorry wheels and the unfortunate motorcyclist has to become a moto cross expert in an instant or suffer the consequences of a close encounter with a hedge! The final insult if you are in a car is the high likelyhood of getting a stone chipped windscreen or certainly if you are on two wheels you have the unpleasant task of cleaning off all the sticky crap from the underside of your exhaust/s when you get home. Why oh why don't they spend the money on fixing potholes instead? I've seen them top dress perfectly adequate tarmac roads when literally a few miles away are roads in desperate need of attention.

• Agree Agree x 5
  19. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Yes a real problem, especially when nobody adheres to the 20mph speed restrictions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. BATEBY45

BATEBY45 Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2014
    Rant has been quiet lately so here's mine from last week.
    I am putting a drop down barrier at the entrance to our village hall car park, dug the hole for the main post, half a meter square and 300 mm deep. Go to Trav' Perk' for post concrete, it comes in 20 kilo bags, so I ask how many bags will I need for said hole "no idea mate" he was trying to be helpful! "three should do it" paid for three and dragged them back in the trailer, followed the instructions and filled the hole just over half way up. Back to town for two more, bloody closed at 5pm, try next door at Screwfix " we usually have some but we are out of stock at the moment" Down the road to Tool Station - same reply, next call Homebase, Two bags at a very similar price to TP and finished the job.
    What use is selling a material for a bulk job by weight? Mix concrete comes by the cubic meter so you know where you are when buying volume for a job.
    And don't get me started on sheet material, plasterboard 2400 X 1200 mm and plywood 8 foot X 4 foot, how long have we bee using metric sizes??

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1