Rant of the day

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Havit, Sep 10, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    You are correct Andy many organisations run outdated software operating systems. However this does not necessarily make their IT environments insecure. If the system sit behind a well maintained and secure network environment with secure zones protected by firewalls then the fact that the systems are running on old and outdated operating systems is not an issue. This applies to both backend computer systems and front end PC's.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    Retrieval will depend on the level of deletion and if the free space on the hard drive has then been wiped and overwritten, assuming standard SATA hard drives are being used which I would imagine they are.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    Backup ffs!!!!
    Twatos!

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Dear Sir/Madam,

BLOODY COMPUTERS!!

Yours faithfully,

A. Luddite.

That is all!

• Funny Funny x 7
  5. Peter B

Peter B Active Member

May 24, 2020
    West Yorkshire
    Odd that people are now complaining about the police deleting records they should never have been keeping in the first place.
    These were not records of people who had been convicted of a crime.
    If you haven't noticed the police now tend to arrest first and investigate later - a bit too Napoleonic Code for me - and as part of the "arrest" they were taking DNA samples.
    If I remember correctly they were ordered by the high court to destroy records which they were not legally entitled to obtain or retain.
    Seems they've finally got round to doing it and someone is complaining that they've done it.
    Do you think someone is manipulating things as their DNA database isn't covering as much of the population as they'd like?

6. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    I've heard people saying covid testing is being used as a DNA grab o_O

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  7. Peter B

Peter B Active Member

May 24, 2020
    West Yorkshire
    I have two of the testing machines at work, one by Bosch and one by Lumira. They test for human DNA to validate the test. Nothing is transmitted anywhere, they are stand alone tests, and the test cassette is straight into a contaminated waste bin once used.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Hubaxe

Hubaxe Good moaning! aka Mr Wordsalad :)

Mar 25, 2020
    Aix Les bains - French Alps
    #4148 Hubaxe, Jan 18, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    Those people had this information directly into their head after they received the jab with the 5 G implant. :grinning:

• Funny Funny x 7
  9. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Your right... it's the microchip talking :laughing:

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. Hubaxe

Mar 25, 2020
    On 7th of January I ordered front and rear tyres for the ST1050. Received the front tyre on 8th of January.
    Still waiting for the rear one, that spent some time in a dispatch center around Paris.
    Arrived 1 week ago at the delivery center based 20 min from home, and still not delivered..
    They will probably say it's because of Covid. Covid only impact rear tyres, not front ones ..

• Funny Funny x 7
  11. johne

johne Standing on the shoulders of dwarves.

Jan 16, 2020
    Where the Wolds meet the sea
    Those adverts you see on the telly where some cosmetic firm is selling a 'magic' (aren't they all?) potion for women to look years younger.

Then at the bottom of the screen it says 83% of 156 women agree it made a positive difference. That's very interesting because according to my pocket calculator 83% of 156 is 129.48! so I assume one of the women was only 48% convinced it was any good whilst 52% of her thought it was crap.:joy: I know I'm a saddo with too much time on my hands these days (I blame it on lockdown), but check for yourself, there are lots of these adverts running currently and many just don't add up. Where are the advertising standards authority when you need them??

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. johne

johne Standing on the shoulders of dwarves.

Jan 16, 2020
    Where the Wolds meet the sea
    Those adverts you see on the telly where some cosmetic firm is selling a 'magic' (aren't they all?) potion for women to look years younger.

Then at the bottom of the screen it says 83% of 156 women agree it made a positive difference. That's very interesting because according to my pocket calculator 83% of 156 is 129.48! so I assume one of the women was only 48% convinced it was any good whilst 52% of her thought it was crap.:joy: I know I'm a saddo with too much time on my hands these days (I blame it on lockdown), but check for yourself, there are lots of these adverts running currently and many just don't add up. Where are the advertising standards authority when you need them??

• Like Like x 2
  13. Peter B

Peter B Active Member

May 24, 2020
    West Yorkshire
    Usual place, in a dark room with their heads up their arses.

14. Hubaxe

Mar 25, 2020
    Front tyre received within a couple of days, the rear tyre never showed up after 3 weeks.
    Used those nice forms on the carrier web site to complain several times and chase my tyre, only received automatic messages saying my tyre is on it's way (maybe he jumped out of the truck,and tried to roll alone from Paris to Savoie.. a rebel tyre)
    Same with the seller, used the forms, automatic message to check on carrier parcel track
    This morning I finally phoned the carrier hotline... The tyre is lost.
    Then called the seller company.. They knew about it, and even raised a complain ticket with the carrier about, but ... what about contacting the customer (aka me) to propose another tyre or refund ????????
    A new tyre on it's way, I gonna virtually destroy the seller and the carrier with angry bitter feedback comments, without moving from my sofa o_O

• Like Like x 8
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

#4155 Cyborgbot, Feb 1, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2021
    :joy:
    Statistics and probability are funny things and often misunderstood.

Say you see the doctor and are tested positive for a nasty disease. If the accuracy is 99%, it sounds to be awful news, and you should write a will immediately.

However if say 10000 people have the test there will be 100 false positives counted.

Your test is one of those. This means you actually only have a one percent chance in that test group if having the lurgy.

Great news and gives you enough time to go for another ride...

I was told this by a statistician but there’s a ‘chance’ they may be wrong :):joy:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Similarly when you go to see the nurse after a blood test and your result for X is 40.1 the nurse tells you you've got XYZ disease. But the test might only be accurate to +/- 5% so your X could be well below the threshold of 40. So the nurse tells you to make an appointment to see the doctor. So you get to see the doctor and he says 40.1 is OK, nothing to worry about. All a waste of time, money and effort.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    • Agree Agree x 10
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Apparently this story has appeared in numerous daily national newspapers today.

The Brighton & Sussex University Hospital (BSUH) stated:

Midwives have been told to stop using terms including "breastfeeding" and “breastmilk” as part of a new trans-friendly policy at an NHS trust. ... Instead of saying"breastmilk", they can choose from "human milk" or "breast/chestmilk" or "milk from the feeding mother or parent".

Now before anyone starts shouting I copied this from a national newspaper, not my words and btw I have a couple of gay/lesbian friends,,,,that’s if I’m now allowed to call them that.

The worlds going crazy.

• WTF x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • Agree x 1
  19. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Re phrase that Tiglet
    "THE WORLD HAS GONE CRAZY AND ITS GETTING CRAZIER EVERY DAY."

• Agree Agree x 7
  20. Peter B

Peter B Active Member

May 24, 2020
    West Yorkshire
    To use their own parlance, I wonder how many "clients" they think they will have who were not born female?
    If they get anyone who was born male then we can say miracles happen.