Rant of the day

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Havit, Sep 10, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Didn’t think they allowed fracking so close to houses :joy:

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Yorkshireman

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    FTFY

3. Yorkshireman

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    You should be on the after dinner speech circuit Jez, proper laughed at that one.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  4. Yorkshireman

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Why not go and ask for one Dave, they can only say no. I got one cos of my qualifications as a vehicle examiner but they didn't ask to see my certificates as proof.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Hi Nikki. Well, in some strange way it's comforting to know that it's not only in the U.S. that we're in the definite minority as women riders. In our local Sunday riding group there's even only one woman who rides pillion! There are a few other women in the group but it is only rarely that they actually get out and ride with us--or even on their own. I, too, wish there were more of us but as you said what can you do. I do my best to "recruit" at every opportunity and then, if the recruiting is successful I try to be a role model, mentor, support, and generally good riding buddy as best I can. But it seems to be an uphill battle and that the motorcycle world is primarily inhabited by men. God love 'em. ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I completely agree, Privateer, and have had this conversation with MC dealership GM's and sales managers for quite some time now. The manufacturers are, as you say, completely missing a trick here. My the clear pattern I've learned in talking with lots of women who are either interested in learning to ride or have taken the MSF class and are now looking for a bike is that women are initially concerned primarily about three things: (1) how tall is the bike? (2) how much does the bike weigh? (3) how big is the engine?

I've presented my case to my H-D GM friends that if Harley made a version of the Honda Rebel and provided it for MSF course training, they'd probably sell one to nearly every woman who took the class. (Provided it didn't cost an arm and a leg and that it was around long enough that there were used ones on the market.) Then they'd have a shot at developing some of that brand loyalty they promote right out of the gate. Whether one likes or hates Harleys, that holds across any make of bike including Triumph. When I bought my first Triumph, a 2012 Thruxton, I was on my tip-toes and I'm 5'7". Nearly every single woman I know that rides started out--even if briefly--on a used Honda Rebel then went looking for something else after they felt comfortable. Honda Rebel--low, light, small engine. It seems that many of the manufacturers try to entice women into the riding fold with marketing and cool motor clothes. That won't do it. Yep, they need to make it easier for women to join in the fun! :):)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Well....yeah.....but :confused:

haven’t you got ironing to do :joy:

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  8. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona

Oh, Dilli, you just don't know me! True story....

When Mr. Sandi and I started dating, he began spending the night (well, and most of the day too when not at work) at my house. One morning he was going to go directly to work from my place and he wanted to iron something he was planning to wear. He asked me if I had an iron. I said, "I don't know. I might. Let me look around to see if I have one." I did own one but I had to dig around in one of my storage closets to locate it. Of course, I did NOT have an ironing board.

I don't recall the last time I ironed anything. If I need something ironed I either have Mr. Sandi do it for me or I have it cleaned and pressed at my local Sparkle cleaners for a buck. Mostly I buy clothes that don't really need ironing and/or one that I can take out of the dryer and shake out. I mean, cleaning the house is one thing. But ironing? There are motorcycles to ride and places to go, Dilli!! So NO, I haven't got ironing to do! ;)

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 5
  9. BonnieCat

BonnieCat Crème de la Crème

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    I'm just the same as you Sandi. Iron as little as possible. In fact I think my iron is covered in cobwebs (if I even know where it is).
    But back to bikes the VStrom I have is only just low enough for me to ride and get my feet down and that's with the low seat. My Speedmaster does inspire confidence as it's very low and easy to get both feet flat on the floor.
    Why bike manufacturers make their bikes so tall is beyond me.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    #2350 Callumity, Nov 5, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    If childbirth was difficult men would do it......... ironing IS difficult (apparently?!) so my military training kicks in and I do 90% of it........ although I wear a crumpled look much of the time for ‘stylistic’ reasons.

Tall bikes? The old long stroke potato potato V twins are long motors necessitating separate oil tanks and low slung frames. Conversely pseudo adventure bikes have more ground clearance than they need. Transverse motors of three cylinders and more likewise need to be kept fairly narrow and mounted high - the CBX took it to extremes while a boxer twin doesn’t make immediate sense but kinda works.

High heels. There’s your answer.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

You’re telling a bunch of (mainly) hairy arsed bikers that high heels are the answer...

I like your style.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    High heels work for me!! ;)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Life's too short to spend it ironing, right, Nikki?! I'm in the process of finding a housekeeper to do the cleaning, too, as I'd rather work a bit more to pay someone to clean so I can RIDE instead of clean! I've hated housecleaning since I was a kid when I, as the only girl, had to stay indoors to help Mom clean the house while my two brothers got to do the fun chores outdoors with Dad.

My Speed Triple is just a wee bit tall for me even with Triumph's "Speed Triple Low Seat" which dropped it by about an inch. But I'e grown accustomed to being not quite flat footed on that bike. The seat heights on my Harleys suit me better, especially my Low Rider S (hence the name). My Road Glide Special originally felt somewhat tall so I got logger style riding boots that helped me feel much more confident--taller sole and heel both. But after I got my Speedy, both Harleys felt even lower. I guess it's sort of relative. But I agree that it's silly that manufacturers make their bikes so tall! It keeps people away, I'm convinced. Especially new(er) riders.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    But I forgot to add---NOT on a bike! :p

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  15. BonnieCat

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    Maybe Herman Munster shoes would work

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    They might just work, Nikki! Perhaps we'd even be able to ride a Tiger 1200 with its 33 inch / 845 mm seat height in Herman's shoes. Or perhaps these shoes that Madonna is sporting? The buckles on her shoes do add a bit of fashion flair. :cool:

Screen Shot 2019-11-06 at 11.38.39 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-06 at 11.40.20 AM.png

• Like Like x 2
  17. BonnieCat

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    Ah yes those are Herman's shoes. Madonna just borrowed them and added some sparkly bits

• Like Like x 1
  18. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Agreed. If you don't want to be offended don't buy a ticket.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  19. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

I Just got connected back up to the internet after 4 days, all because a digger driver called Blind Pugh, has so far, ripped the Telecoms cable out 5 times, so bad that they had to renew the whole cable along the road, he then fractured a 4 inch gas pipe so we had no heating for a full day, he has also ripped out the electricity cable for the street lights, all within one week, I'm just waiting for the water to go off next.

20191115_115841[1].jpg.png

• WTF WTF x 6
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  20. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Hopefully the digger driver has been counseled out of that job and on to another career path.:sob: Preferably one that doesn't involve driving. :worried:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1