Random Photo Thread (not Bikes)

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by andyc1, Dec 26, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Beautiful photos, Oldskool! I especially love the first one.

We even got a bit of snow ourselves here in the Sonoran Desert overnight although it's up towards the top of the Catalina Mountains where the biological zone is definitely NOT desert. Tucson is at about 2500 ft elevation and the tippy--top of the Catalinas is just shy of 9000 ft. Predictions are that we might get a bit of snow even right in town at some point in the next day or two. It was a bit nippy on my walk this morning. Fortunately I don't walk fast enough to create a wind chill. :blush:

Rillito Park is the horse racing track in Tucson and that building in the photo is the grandstand. It's a very cool place right in the middle of the city. Mr. Sandi and I have really enjoyed going to the races over the years, but unfortunately the racing season was cut short last winter/spring due to COVID. I've not heard a peep about there being a season this year, and it usually starts right about now or early in February. So I'm quite sure that this racing season it has been completely cancelled due to COVID. :(

IMG_2185.jpeg

Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 2.34.22 PM.png

• Like Like x 4
  2. Oldskool

Oldskool Elite Member

Jan 29, 2019
    Hertfordshire
    It was beautiful out and about but very, very cold. We walked for about 4 miles. The temperature was around -2 but the northern wind gave a wind chill of -4 according to our weather app. But well worth the cold to get some fresh air. We are only around 720 ft above sea level, so nowhere near your giddy heights but definitely not Speed Triple weather......In the 2nd photo of mine, you can see Tring Performing Arts college. It’s a bit like the old Fame programme . Young, talented kids go there to learn to be actors. It is an old Rothschild mansion. The Rothschilds were a famously monied banking family who invested a lot of money in this area. In the far background you can just about make out another mansion also owned by a different Rothschild family member at Mentmore. This was bought by the moonie Cult The Maharishi foundation , back in the late 70’s. There were several Rothschild mansions scattered around this area but none are now owned by the family.
    Shame about your horse racing weekends this year. Like so many things, a pleasure you will have to forego for the time being.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    Wouldn't touch one with two barge poles taped together. Had a LR Disco 300Tdi some years back which is why I'll never have another one. Now Here's a proper 4wd, 80 series LC, as used by the UN, NATO, UNICEF etc, the vehicle of choice in Australia and Asia. No electronics, viscous coupled centre diff with mechanical diff lock, front and rear cross axle diff locks. Revered by those who know them. Just sayin'.

BDA5ABF5-8E57-41C7-BD7F-61862942231F.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    Jap crap :p:p:grinning:

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    Like I said, revered by those who know them. :cool:

• Like Like x 3
  6. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    I'm a big fan of Jap scrap :grinning: more so than over rated German engineering IMO o_O

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Used to work for an oil exploration company many moons ago, they always went for these. More reliable, more comfortable for the crews, cheaper and just generally a better all rounder/off roader than the land rover and other equivalents.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    Totally agree with all that but it's the same reason people own old Brit or Italian bikes when they could have a Honda :p:grinning:
    Soul innit!
    Sorry for another derailment :):)

• Like Like x 3
  9. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    We woke up this morning to a vision lots of overnight snow in the Catalina Mountains just to the north of us about 5 miles. The snow level was lower than it has been in some time.

I took these photos with my little iPhone SE about 200 yards from our back gate on the walking/cycling path along the Rillito River . It's hard to get the full gorgeous effect in a photo but here are a few pics nonetheless. Now the sun has disappeared and it's raining at our house again and the current temperature is 39ºF. Thankfully it's raining--we really need it.

IMG_2199.jpeg

IMG_2204.jpeg

That's a type of prickly pear cactus in the foreground of this photo. This type is very large and this particular plant is much taller than me.
    IMG_2202.jpeg

• Like Like x 9
  10. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    And a bit later in the day today, Mr. Sandi was in the office and saw this bobcat on our back wall! He said when he first saw her, she was laying in the sun on the wall right by our gate. Then she got up and strolled nearly the length of the wall before jumping down into our next door neighbor's yard. :)

IMG_4591.jpeg

IMG_4592.jpeg

• Like Like x 14
  11. Oldskool

Oldskool Elite Member

Jan 29, 2019
    Hertfordshire
    Bobcat. Wow, it looks mean. Are they dangerous Sandi?

12. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

Only if they catch you...

• Funny Funny x 3
  13. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Not really, @Oldskool. Well, unless you're a chicken. We've seen bobcats in our neighborhood multiple times over the years and they've never bothered Mr. Sandi or me or our dogs (boxers) for that matter. But I wouldn't be completely confident that a small dog / toy breed would be safe. But our neighbors lost nearly all of their hens to a bobcat a couple of years ago. About a year ago one strolled right past our kitchen window on a wall just like the one in the photo. The window and the wall are only about 10 feet apart if that. Then it jumped down and wandered through our front yard and the yards of a couple of neighbors. Often they are looking for water which they can find in fountains, landscape "water features", and outdoor dog water dishes. Now mountain lions are another story altogether. They've even been known to attack people now and again. But I don't recall ever hearing of one in Tucson proper in all the years I've lived here (since 1991). They have been spotted in the mountains that surround the city, though.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Wow @Sandi T. 30 years in the desert

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Oldskool

Oldskool Elite Member

Jan 29, 2019
    Hertfordshire
    Bobcats.Mountain lions. Rattlesnakes.it’s no wonder you all carry guns over there.....o_O

• Funny Funny x 5
  16. Oldskool

Oldskool Elite Member

Jan 29, 2019
    Hertfordshire
    Ok. I cheated a bit here....it’s a photo I took of a photo I saw. But it’s too good not to share here....Horse and bear(skin) selfie...

5DD9ED7A-888E-4E0F-869C-1AAE0E01321A.jpeg

• Like Like x 13
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. stinger

stinger Senior Member

Nov 28, 2017
    Yarnbrook
    • Like Like x 3
  18. Jadorff

Jadorff Noble Member

Apr 14, 2019
    Adelaide Australia
    murray river South Australia

IMG_1737.jpeg

• Like Like x 8
  19. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Yep, Dartplayer, it's hard to believe that I've lived in Tucson 30 years! :eek: I've lived here longer than Minnesota, where I grew up, or California, where I moved to from Minnesota after college. I've lived in the Tucson and the Sonoran Desert longer than anywhere else during my lifetime. Mr. Sandi sometimes talks about wanting to move someplace with water (which includes nearly anywhere but here!) because he likes to fish and our summers make him crazy. But at this point I'm in love with this desert and can't really imagine living anyplace else. :sun::cool: Now if it keeps on burning down around us like it did in 2020 I may change my tune. :(

• Like Like x 2
  20. Jadorff

Jadorff Noble Member

Apr 14, 2019
    Adelaide Australia
    Glenalg Adelaide

A850CAD5-E397-40EA-B203-E241166C10B5.jpeg

• Like Like x 9