Thruxton Raising Bars On Faired Rs

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by Cooky Boy, Mar 5, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    I went from high to low to high again and the cables were fine, since yours was low from the factory you might need to pull some extra slack through. Should be fine. At worse you might have to cut a cable tie somewhere

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Cooky Boy

Cooky Boy Active Member

Jan 25, 2021
    Devon, UK
    Hi Andy,
    My risers have arrived and I have borrowed a 38mm wrench. I can see the circlips but I’m unsure how to remove the bars. Does the circlip need to be removed before the bars will slide out? If so, do the bars need to be pushed toward the centre to access the circlip?
    Any suggestions before I start making a mess of things would be most welcome.
    Cooky

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. andyc1

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland

You are 100 % correct!

Go here,
    https://www.triumphinstructions.com/default.aspx

And enter this number in the search box,
    A9638108

You'll find the official instructions, they include the fairing kit but the risers are in there too, don't worry about any mention of the brake fluid reservoir bracket or speedo bracket, I've had high and low risers on with both the brackets and it works fine in any configuration.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Cooky Boy

Cooky Boy Active Member

Jan 25, 2021
    Devon, UK
    Thanks Andy.
    That’s really helpful.
    Now to try to avoid pinging those circlips!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Cooky Boy

Cooky Boy Active Member

Jan 25, 2021
    Devon, UK
    Job done.
    Some fiddly tasks but if I can do this, anyone can!
    Did not need to drop forks, remove fairing or ease cables.
    I watched a chap bodge the job on YouTube, which nearly put me off but with the right tools it’s not a difficult job really.
    Radical change in riding position but still looks nice.
    Thanks Andy for your helpful advice.

BF9A6E95-2AFC-4D94-8EDA-CA289DBE24A5.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  6. Cooky Boy

Cooky Boy Active Member

Jan 25, 2021
    Devon, UK
    Mid riser change. Point of no return.

B0423743-FF1F-4AE1-8359-9B3A27686479.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  7. Cooky Boy

Cooky Boy Active Member

Jan 25, 2021
    Devon, UK
    Pre and post op!

6702B5BE-88B6-44E4-AEF7-350460E04CE8.jpeg

3CE2FD54-D690-40CC-99AA-104E0A02F793.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  8. Cooky Boy

Cooky Boy Active Member

Jan 25, 2021
    Devon, UK
    One more from in front.

95F6AA68-ED6B-422C-A31A-1B1A9F9F767B.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  9. andyc1

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Excellent job! :grinning: its very satisfying when you do it yourself too ;)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Cooky Boy

Cooky Boy Active Member

Jan 25, 2021
    Devon, UK
    My back and neck agree with you!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Cooky Boy

Cooky Boy Active Member

Jan 25, 2021
    Devon, UK
    My cafe racer is more restaurant now!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Cooky Boy

Cooky Boy Active Member

Jan 25, 2021
    Devon, UK
    Road test complete.
    Bars higher and closer. This has completely altered the riding position which is far more comfortable but with slightly less front end feel as might be expected.
    Feels like a very different machine but looks have not been ruined. I think the higher bars are a functional improvement if not an aesthetic one.
    I’m sure it will be much better for the type of riding I do on undulating country lanes.
    Very pleased so far.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. JoeChicago

JoeChicago New Member

Mar 29, 2021
    Chicago Illinois
    This is the way I am going with my conversion. I have the clip ons in the mail and here by Monday thanks to a young man in California, and the bike will be here Wednesday. Also already have the throttle spacers on hand and a pair of barrel grips from Triumph that I bought from a local dealer. In case you're wondering why I didn't get the bike locally as well, I found one on Cycle Trader with the cafe kit, unsold 2020 for an amazing price! Pics and all next weekend when I can finally take a crack at her.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. JoeChicago

JoeChicago New Member

Mar 29, 2021
    Chicago Illinois
    Hey Gents! I've had Gemma aka Elizabeth Grey aka Dusty Springfield for almost a month now and my schedule and the weather have conspired against me to the point that I haven't ridden her more than 3 times and each only for a quick ride around the neighborhood. I have all I need for the same conversion however a few questions.
    1. Do I have to place the new clip ons all the way up and have them aligned with the location holes on the bottom of the top yoke or can I use them a bit lower?
    2. If I have to raise them all the way for proper fork placement, can I safely remove location holes on the bottom of the yoke for better ergonomics of the grips? The current placement of the grips have them rotated so far inwards that my weight is all on the inside portion of my palms. Basically I need them rotated outwards or more forward (which ever term is correct).

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Cooky Boy

Cooky Boy Active Member

Jan 25, 2021
    Devon, UK
    Hi Joe.
    I assume that you are located in Chicago and that your received name is not JoeChicago but just Joe. If it is, then apologies. I will shorten it to JC to be safe.
    The Triumph risers have a small locating screw underneath that attaches the risers to the top yoke. There is little room for lowering the risers on the forks because the top yolk sits at the top of the forks. There is a little room for manoeuvre as the yolk can be lowered by 1-1.5cm (approx 1/4-1/2 inch for those across the pond using Imperial measurements). Therefore, the risers cannot be rotated forward to create a different angle than the one in my pictures. However, the bars can be rotated forward or back to alter the angle of the clutch and brake levers to suit. The biggest issue with the nose fairing is being certain that the fluid reservoir will clear the scene, which limits the rotation somewhat.
    Ultimately the change from the low risers is worthwhile as it leaves the rider sitting more upright with a lot less weight on the palms. I will not be changing the risers back again!
    Good luck
    Cooky

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. JoeChicago

JoeChicago New Member

Mar 29, 2021
    Chicago Illinois

Thanks, and just Joe is fine.
    Congrats on your swap, looks like it wasn't too hard for you, let's hope the same for me when I get up the stones to do it. By the way, did you use a center stand (centre for you across the pond metric users, hahaha) or just the kick stand?

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. Cooky Boy

Cooky Boy Active Member

Jan 25, 2021
    Devon, UK
    Hi Just Joe.
    Is that simply Joe or Joe who believes in fairness and the rule of law?!
    My Thruxton only has a side stand (kick stand for the US readers).
    I used a rear track stand only but you could use a front wheel stand too.
    Best Wishes
    Cooky (I’m not a cook and I am not sure why I got this nickname at school).

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. dav.a

dav.a Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Argyll
    Arg. I swapped the lower clip ons for the standard ones. A bit more involved due to the heated grips. Whilst a bit easier on the wrists , wind turbulence has increased and the bike imo has lost a bit of character in both handling and looks. Even worse the seating position is now quite similar to that of my Speedie. So either my next job will be replacing the lower clip ons or contemplate reducing the fleet ....hold that thought just now....lower clip ons it is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. JoeChicago

JoeChicago New Member

Mar 29, 2021
    Chicago Illinois
    I have ridden Gemma a few more times since my last post and I have to say, after the first hour of pain in the wrists, they go numb which results in a lot of hand wiggling at the lights, then shortly after that neither. Still going to do that change eventually. The weather is going to be shit tomorrow so who knows. After a quick trip to the shop that I work in to drill a hole for a ram ball mount, I may go for it after all my other Sunday chores are done.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. JoeChicago

JoeChicago New Member

Mar 29, 2021
    Chicago Illinois
    Finally got it done and have ridden a few times with the raised clip ons and I have to say, the pain has lessened a lot sooner in my rides since. I've also learned that relaxing my grip on the right hand helps too. Admittedly I mucked up my center yoke nut even though I taped it up. The socket I used had some pretty gnarly burrs inside it that I hadn't noticed until it was too late. Gonna replace it with one from Thornton Hundred. Those kids are making some really cool shit! Also the line that comes off the bottom of the reservoir rides along the top of the shock just a bit. Hey Cookie Boy, what adjustments did you have to make to your cables and lines to get yours looking so unencumbered?

• Useful Useful x 1