Thruxton 'r' Rear Springs

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by Ken walburn, Sep 7, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    Asked my dealer Ongar Motorcycles, Essex to leak at the rear shock absorbers on my 6 month old Thrux 'R'. The springs are yellow (not painted but looks like polyeurethane covering). The plastic sleeves on the shock has been rubbing this covering away. Not only does this look pants but long term could lead to water ingress issues leading to premature spring corrosion and thus failure. The owner of the dealership showed absolutely no interest what so ever. Very disappointing, customer care at its best (not). I'm posting this in the hope that another 'R' owner has had the same issue rectified under warranty. Here's hoping

IMG_0303.JPG

2. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    Already suggested that but he was adamant that no such recall / replacement note had been issued by Triumph. So the more proof I get the more I can stuff down his throat

3. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    That would be good, thanks. I was very annoyed by his attitude (having owned my own motor vehicle repair business for over 30 years) I know customer service when I don't see it. So it is very much a mission now to get this sorted.

4. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    This issue has been covered on the forum several months ago in some detail.
    Check back because I know they were some members who had their Shocks replaced FOC

5. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    Thanks. Will take a look under tech section

6. Tricolore

Tricolore Active Member

Jun 24, 2016
    Midlands
  7. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    Thrux R owners: Going to a different Triumph dealer tomorrow with a view to asking them to renew the rear shocks for the modified units, under warranty. Also I see that the chassis number on my bike falls within those that should have received a recall note from DVLA with regards to a potential fuel tank leak, so will ask them to check this out also. I bought machine in Mar 2017 but obviously a 2016 built bike, so I'm wondering if this might have already been addressed. Could ask selling dealer, but owner was so dismissive about the shock issue, I wouldn't believe him anyway. Will let you know how I got on

8. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    New rear shocks fitted under warranty by dealer in Romford (my dealer refused) Although on ride home, rear end very hard & odd feeling on flicking from one side to tother, had a look turns out right shock adjusted to hardest setting, left shock too softest! So no wonder! Have placed them both on half way, will ride again tomorrow

IMG_0519.JPG

• Like Like x 1
    • WTF WTF x 1
  9. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Great that the dealer fitted them under warranty. :)
    Not so great that they hadn't checked the settings. :eek:

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Uncle Olaf

Uncle Olaf Member

Mar 23, 2018
    Genk, Belgium
    Hello there,
    I noticed the same rubbing marks on mine.
    But I bought it second hand in 2017 (Sept. 2016 model). 21.000 km now.
    Are there examples of replacements after the warranty period?
    Thanks,
    Olaf

11. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    A faulty design is a faulty design. It was not covered under a safety recall, but a service recall. I would contact a number of dealers & see what they say. Nothing to lose.
    Express concern as moisture now getting under spring yellow outer casing, thus potentially weakening said spring through corrosion.

12. Smalls82

Smalls82 Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2019
    Leyland, Lancashire
    I’d also be interested to find out if anybody else has had success getting these replaced on older bikes that are now not under warranty etc.

13. Uncle Olaf

Uncle Olaf Member

Mar 23, 2018
    Genk, Belgium
    I just got the message from Triumph Benelux that my rear shocks will be replaced under warranty.
    I mailed Triumph UK and they sent the mail to Holland.
    Seems indeed that the problem is known and acknowledged by Triumph and that they replace the shocks no matter what the age of the bike is.
    Nice example of customer care, allthough I know that it won't cost Triumph one penny as Ohlins will have to deliver the replacement shocks...
    But anyway, nice !! Already made an appointment with my dealer.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Smalls82

Apr 25, 2019
    Leyland, Lancashire
    Can I ask what you put in the email to triumph UK and who you sent it to etc? I'm terrible with things like this!!
    Also i'm having the issue of the clocks misting up in when in direct sunlight, so would like to try get this sorted if possible.

Chris

15. Uncle Olaf

Uncle Olaf Member

Mar 23, 2018
    Genk, Belgium
    Here's the mail I sent.
    Hello,

When cleaning my bike last week after a roadtrip I noticed rubbing marks on the rear shocks, seems that the black plastic protectors rub off the yellow paint of the shock absorbers.

I read multiple artcles on the internet saying Triumph knows the problem and for this reason mounted another type of rear shocks since 2018.

I bought my bike secondhand in 2017, it has now about 20.000 km and the issue worries me.

If it is a known problem of design, can the shocks be replaced by another (better) set under warranty? I would be willing to pay a part of the cost to keep my motorcyclemind at ease.

Kind regards,
    Olaf Marx

Genk (B)

My clocks have been changed under warranty a year ago. First they went misty and then they had cracks in the glass.
    Good luck!!
    Kind regards,
    Olaf

• Like Like x 1
  16. Smalls82

Apr 25, 2019
    Leyland, Lancashire
    Thanks for that, I’ll get some pictures sorted and email them.
    These little ‘common’ problems are not filling me with confidence on this bike! Never had anything like this before with previous (much cheaper I must add) Japanese bikes!

17. Uncle Olaf

Uncle Olaf Member

Mar 23, 2018
    Genk, Belgium
    It' no big deal to me as long as the problems are taken care of. And they seem to be... I also had Yamaha's and Beemers but the Thruxton is the one that makes e the happiest when riding it.

18. Smalls82

Apr 25, 2019
    Leyland, Lancashire
    I’ve defo enjoyed riding and even more so looking at my R upto now due to the weather. I’ve fitted some US spec Vance and Hines so it also sounds great now to. Hopefully I can get these bit sorted successfully like you have and I’ll be a very happy man!

19. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    I have the black inner protector and so far so good no wear in 900 miles

D37D61B0-42D5-4AF4-B583-C2CFFF88FE37.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  20. Uncle Olaf

Uncle Olaf Member

Mar 23, 2018
    Genk, Belgium
    Good luck with it!!