Quiet Helmet That Goes Well With Bonnies

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by zsguerreiro, Oct 30, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi ZS, Before you spend money on a new helmet, buy yourself some earplugs, & try them with your current helmet. You may well find that will give you the result you are looking for.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    Didclaimer, I am a Shoei fanboy

look at this beauty, not released yet but a stunner dodgy name mind you the Glamster

E7B00B73-F71D-4CB2-AB1C-14BF1F0CFAD3.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    That's a good looking helmet, good to a Shoei retro, the Bell ones look great but get fairly poor reviews mainly due to visor and seal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. zsguerreiro

zsguerreiro New Member

Oct 18, 2019
    Portugal - Algarve
    Thats a really good looking helmet. My schuberth C3 pro has arrived, it's not that good looking and while not silent enough to meditate :p, it is very quiet compared to my previous one.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. newT120

newT120 Active Member

Apr 1, 2016
    London
    Check out the Shark Evoline - best of both worlds. I use mine in open-face mode when cruising around in nice weather, but flip it to full-face mode when on fast roads and wet/cold weather.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    The helmet isn't the issue , all helmets are wind tunnel tested for noise.
    The noise most rider's experience when riding is "wind turbulence" this is "spoiled air" or air that has struck the bike and has been deflected away , up down or around the rider's head , you need to find the best option for you ! This will vary , rider to rider and bike to bike , we all ride differently , sitting in different positions. So you might want to test ride a friend's bike , similar model but different screen.
    Get your head and helmet in "clean air" helmet noise all but disappears.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Georgez

Georgez Senior Member

Nov 2, 2019
    Pacific North West
    Get your head and helmet in "clean air" …and wear ear plugs.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. Biker Jock

Biker Jock Senior Member

Nov 16, 2014
    Welcome to the forum.

Consider doing advanced training if possible. It might not suit everyone, but it'll shorten that learning curve. It transformed my enjoyment of riding from being a bit frustrated with some rides to loving every second.

Definitely earplugs. Although... ...my Tiger 800 had a tall Triumph screen on it and the noise and vibration to my head was terrible. I put up with it for about 3000 miles before I tried taking the screen off. That improved it quite a lot, but I still needed earplugs. Then I invested (reluctantly) in a Madstad screen. Amazing! No more earplugs and I often forget to put the visor down, it's so still around my head. It isn't a pretty screen, but it works brilliantly. But it does depend on whether you want to spoil the look of your bike with an ugly screen for peace and quiet.

But I always were earplugs on the other bike - not a Triumph. My helmet is a Shoei GT Air.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    Hi I use BELL and Schuberth lids, open and full but as the folk here have all mentioned "EAR PLUGS" to me they are a must makes riding comfortable [says I] hard of hearing creeps up on you without notice so go with the plugs.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. cliverdee

cliverdee Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Nottingham
    Yes agree entirely about the Madstad on the Tiger 800. Looks Industrial with the front mounting plate but absolutely transforms the bike to make riding ‘visor up’ (if you choose), at any speeds an absolute delight. No wind, no buffeting, just clean air around your helmet... so although often people think getting a (non existent) quiet helmet is the answer it’s really all about airflow which is down to the screen. The adjustability of up /down and rake that the Madstad allows means it can be set to suit every riders height. Although my Schuberth C3 pro helmet is quieter than others it’s still hopeless for my current bike (Street Scrambler) at anything over 50mph. It has just a flyscreen fitted. The wind noise despite expensive moulded ear plugs is loud, unpleasant and sadly is spoiling my enjoyment of the bike and probably worsening my tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    That looks really nice, will have a look at that if I replace my Arai next year. My only issue with the Arai is noise, but Arais have always felt a better fit on me than Shoei. I though the name was some sort of joke, but it really is called that, almost enough to put me off buying one!

For the OP you have to wear ear plugs, I can't ride without them now, bikes sound like they are self destructing if I don't wear them. I find they make the exhaust note sound nicer, it is only really wind noise that bothers me. I've got a set of the custom moulded ones, they are great until you lose one and have to pay a fortune for a single replacement!

• Useful Useful x 1